Do we need to draft a D-lineman early?

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like the system we have our linemen are there to basically eat up blocks. Im thinking why not just go after a few big fatties later like Mcullers. Could basically do what Raji does only a lot cheaper.

D

Deleted member 6794

It seems like the system we have our linemen are there to basically eat up blocks. Im thinking why not just go after a few big fatties later like Mcullers. Could basically do what Raji does only a lot cheaper.

Well, it depends on what will happen between now and the draft. Right now we don´t have a single DL under contract who is best suited to play in a base 3-4 defense.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our fatties are definitely just there to eat multiple blocks. I think Pickett is cool with that because he's incapable of generating much push anyways. Raji, however, I think does not care for the role.

I do think we will lose one or both of these big men, and so I think we will have to replace them in the draft. Just one or two guys to rotate with Josh Boyd. I'm hoping we don't spend anything higher than a 4th on this.

H

HardRightEdge

If all the big bodies needed to do was "eat up blocks" then anybody off the street can play.

The object is to clog running lanes, which might sound like semantics, but there is a difference. Clogging a running lane involves recognition and moving off the block even if a tackle is not made. Slowing down or redirecting the runner is the object. If all a guy does is "eat up blocks" then the offense has him where they want him (see Raji, circa 2013), and the runner is free to the second level.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Well, it depends on what will happen between now and the draft. Right now we don´t have a single DL under contract who is best suited to play in a base 3-4 defense.
Well, we do have Boyd who fits the profile, but we haven't seen enough of him to know if he can play.

If I were a betting man, I'd say Pickett will be back. He wants to play, they like him, he won't cost much, and he's probably good for about 20 snaps per game if his knees hold up.

Still, the point is well taken. Going forward with Boyd, Pickett and some mid-to-low round developmental big bodies is not going to cut it. We'll need a guy who can start now, and that will come at a cost.

Last edited by a moderator:

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, we do have Boyd who fits the profile, but we haven't seen enough of him to know if he can play.

If I were a betting man, I'd say Pickett will be back. He wants to play, they like him, he won't cost much, and he's probably good for about 20 snaps per game if his knees hold up.

Still, the point is well taken. Going forward with Boyd, Pickett and some mid-to-low round developmental big bodies is not going to cut it. We'll need a guy who can start now, and that will come at a cost.
Where is Howard Green when you need him?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts