Do we need an OT?

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's obvious we need to upgrade our pass rush big time and so we're all thinking DEs, DTs and OLBs in the first two rounds, but I wonder if we won't be needing a solid prospect at OT almost as much?

Bulaga is our starting RT and is pretty solid. Clifton is a 12-year vet and his career is about done. That leaves Newhouse and Sherrod. Sherrod was going to be Clifton's replacement, but there's almost no way he can be counted on next year with that multiple leg fracture, and maybe not ever who knows. That leaves Newhouse.

It just seems a bit too risky to put the LT assignment on his shoulders. If we could somehow get a 1st rounder by franchising Flynn and trading him we could get the best player we can at OT, OLB or DE with that pick, then get one of the two others with our second first round pick.

OTs are looking like a hot commodity in this draft so if we want one of the top prospects we'd have to move up in the draft. Matt Kalil and Reilly Reiff will be taken pretty high and we probably have no chance at either one of them, but Jonathan Martin should be available in the mid 1st round.

Seems like the interior line is fine with Wells, Sitton and Lang. I'm sure we'll resign Wells...I'd be shocked if we didn't.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think Bulaga should move to LT he has done very well, and Newhouse at RT, and you can draft a depth guy mid draft.

OT is not a real top priority to me.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
It wouldn't hurt to get another OT but it's not a top priority. 2013 I could maybe see us taking one in the earlier rounds of the draft

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
For me two priority's for the team are protecting the franchise and getting a pass rush. A-Rod goes down and the show is over. You give him the kind of pass protection Brady gets and he will demolish defenses.

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the end of this article from Packers.com, it mentions that Sherrod has been told by doctors that he'll be able to play next season. I think it would be a mistake to draft an OT in the first round for 3 straight years, especially if Sherrod can return. I'm not against drafting another OT in the later rounds, however.

Sacpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say no to Tackle, but yes to guard. I love the Bulaga , Sherrod , Newhouse Rotation. Sherrod showed in the playing time he got that he's quick enough to beat any speed rush.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
At the end of this article from Packers.com, it mentions that Sherrod has been told by doctors that he'll be able to play next season. I think it would be a mistake to draft an OT in the first round for 3 straight years, especially if Sherrod can return. I'm not against drafting another OT in the later rounds, however.
Whew!!, That's great new's about Sherrod.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would draft one for sure, we were scarily thin in this position and it caused me great concern during the 2nd half of the season. But, I don't think we should blow our 1st pick on it. That should go to the defense as top priority.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Bulaga should move to LT he has done very well, and Newhouse at RT, and you can draft a depth guy mid draft.

OT is not a real top priority to me.

This would make sense to me too. Newhouse definately seems to be the kind of guy who has the talent to play tackle...just not good enough to be on the left side. Bulaga...when he was drafted it was in theory to be a LT, regardless of his T-Rex arms.

Sherrod likely won't amount to much next year unfortunately...hate to shuffle these guys around but it's the way it is. That said if there's a LT who falls in the 1st round like Bulaga did, it would be hard to pass up on him.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I would think this means he could play sometime next year. No way this guy is ready to play at start of the season with that injury. Most likely scenario IMO is he gets put on IR...maybe PUP list if he really is recovering well.

But for that injury to heal he can't do anything with that leg...then he has to rehab it back to full strength...then he has to get back into football shape...then he has to step on the field and take the time (months?) to feel comfortable again to the point that he can play on the leg without worrying about it. I think it's going to take a while.

Members online

Latest posts