Do the packers have the best WR core in the league?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on the history of the players currently on the team. They are in the top 5. People are overlooking Seattle. With the addition of Harvin, if Rice stays healthy and Tate becomes the player they thing he was when they drafted him, they could be a force to be reckoned with.

Completely unrelated, but do you feel the Vikings will be a better team than last season?

H

HardRightEdge

Based on the history of the players currently on the team. They are in the top 5. People are overlooking Seattle. With the addition of Harvin, if Rice stays healthy and Tate becomes the player they thing he was when they drafted him, they could be a force to be reckoned with.

Tate has the distinction of having one of the lowest drop rates in the league. He's got hands, but no flash. If they thought Tate and Rice were that good they would not have spent the money on Harvin to "win now".

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Completely unrelated, but do you feel the Vikings will be a better team than last season?
Yes. As long as Ponder does not regress, absolutely. It all depends on him. If he plays like he did the last 4 games they will challenge for the division. He does not have to be Brady or Rodgers, he only has to be average or slightly above average. My prediction, the first play of the first game, long pass play. The interesting thing is who will be there at WR. IF Webb makes the team as WR it could be very interesting. He is a dynamic player with the ball in his hands an as big as most TE's. The unknown is Simpson and Carlson. Do they play like they did before signing with the Vikes or play like they did last year? If I had to guess on 5 players for WR, it would be Jennings, Wright, Simpson, Patterson and Webb.

H

HardRightEdge

Yes. As long as Ponder does not regress, absolutely. It all depends on him. If he plays like he did the last 4 games they will challenge for the division. He does not have to be Brady or Rodgers, he only has to be average or slightly above average. My prediction, the first play of the first game, long pass play. The interesting thing is who will be there at WR. IF Webb makes the team as WR it could be very interesting. He is a dynamic player with the ball in his hands an as big as most TE's. The unknown is Simpson and Carlson. Do they play like they did before signing with the Vikes or play like they did last year? If I had to guess on 5 players for WR, it would be Jennings, Wright, Simpson, Patterson and Webb.

Ponders deep pass accuracy has been dreadful, his one burn on the Packers not withstanding (that was Williams jumping a route, if memory serves). At this juncture, I doubt there's much the Vikes can do about that except hope a light goes on.

I don't think regression is the issue. If he doesn't show progression through the first half of the season, the Vikes are going to be in the same position as the Jets...in a state of regret. Unlike the Jets, the Vikes may have an option. They can turn to Cassel if he's healthy and still motivated. His last full healthy season was Pro Bowl worthy in 2010, besides having a fine year with the Pats in 2008. If Ponder is still Ponder and the Vikes are in playoff contention at mid-season on Peterson's back, I'd look for a QB controversy.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree - the Seahawks are loaded. However, it will be interesting to see how Wilson looks in year two.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they thought Tate and Rice were that good they would not have spent the money on Harvin to "win now".
That's like saying if the Packers thought that Clay Matthews was that good, they wouldn't have drafted Nick Perry.

You need more than two WR in this pass-happy league to be effective. They just unearthed a QB that can move the ball. Any good GM would have gone out and found him another target.

H

HardRightEdge

That's like saying if the Packers thought that Clay Matthews was that good, they wouldn't have drafted Nick Perry.

You need more than two WR in this pass-happy league to be effective. They just unearthed a QB that can move the ball. Any good GM would have gone out and found him another target.

The operative phrase in my post was "spend the money". It's one thing to sign a 3-4 OLB conversion project, a guy you might expect won't give you a lot in the first year, to a $2 mil per year rookie salary. It's another thing to go after one of the top 2 receivers in FA, a guy with a history of health and happiness issues, and then sign him to a 6 year, $67 mil. deal.

If the Hawks thought Tate and Rice had star power but needed a compliment, there were a bunch of slot options available at 1/2 the price or less...Welker, Amendola and Boldin come to mind...while they develop a young guy. Instead, they signed Harvin. I'd say there was a perceived need for a bona fide #1 weapon.

I commented on Tate. Rice is a few years and a few injuries removed from being a feared gamebreaker.

I would not put Tate + Rice in the top 1/2 of the league among wideout pairs. That leaves Harvin carrying an oversized burden to get this group to the top of the league.

Reaction score
Broncos clearly have the best trio in Demaryious Thomas, Eric Decker, and now Wes Welker.
But we're the 2nd best.

As far as ranking the whole corps, who knows... because we don't even know who will be our 4 & 5 guys once camp ends.
I like them though.
But at what point do you have to look at age? Wes Welker can't produce almost 100 catches every season. He's now 32 so he is getting up there in age for a receiver and past his prime.

If you compare to the kind of receiver the 2 teams have, the Broncos lack that big receiver (like Nelson if you think he's a bigger/taller receiver).. If you had to match up similarities:

1. Wes Welker/Randall Cobb
2. Demaryious Thomas/ James Jones
3. Eric Decker/Jordy Nelson

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But at what point do you have to look at age? Wes Welker can't produce almost 100 catches every season. He's now 32 so he is getting up there in age for a receiver and past his prime.

If you compare to the kind of receiver the 2 teams have, the Broncos lack that big receiver (like Nelson if you think he's a bigger/taller receiver).. If you had to match up similarities:

1. Wes Welker/Randall Cobb
2. Demaryious Thomas/ James Jones
3. Eric Decker/Jordy Nelson

How is a guy who seems to catch over 100 balls every year "past his prime"?? people keep saying that yet have no evidence to back it up. As far as Demarious Thomas?? he is a big fast explosive wr. We don't have anyone like that.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
How is a guy who seems to catch over 100 balls every year "past his prime"?? people keep saying that yet have no evidence to back it up. As far as Demarious Thomas?? he is a big fast explosive wr. We don't have anyone like that.
Sure some talking head said it. After all, once they say it and it gets repeated over and over on the internet it has to be true. It becomes a "known fact".

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone of our top 3 WR led the league in something
Jones - Td's
Cobb- All purpose yds
Nelson- Most plays gimping off the field afterwards

How is this even a debate?? lol But in all seriousness, Losing GJ took us from bona fide number 1 to this even being a discussion. I think Denver and GB is too close to call at this juncture. Im not ready to say WW is past his prime like everyone else. But i'm also not ready to say his going to catch 100 balls this year either. If he is as good as he has been in the past they get the nod. If our 3 can stay healthy and continue their path of progression I think the packers have the best.

Reaction score
I'm satisfied with a top 5 receiving corp - heck, top 10 - but what I want is a top 5 defense.

Only thing holding us back (besides Crosby, Oline and injuries).

Reaction score
Randall Cobb? He might not be the biggest, but Cobb is more explosive and faster. And he is past his prime because his numbers have peaked over the last couple years. I didn't say he was bad, did I? Also, even Skip Bayless says Welker is past his prime (that's saying something), and he's the biggest Brady/Pats fan. Don't forget the dropped catch in the Super Bowl that would have possibly given them a win. Journalists say he has lost a 'half-step'. No evidence, yet everyone that studies the game says it. If someone isn't as fast, that is one factor in the equation to seeing that someone is out of his prime.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ponders deep pass accuracy has been dreadful, his one burn on the Packers not withstanding (that was Williams jumping a route, if memory serves). At this juncture, I doubt there's much the Vikes can do about that except hope a light goes on.

I don't think regression is the issue. If he doesn't show progression through the first half of the season, the Vikes are going to be in the same position as the Jets...in a state of regret. Unlike the Jets, the Vikes may have an option. They can turn to Cassel if he's healthy and still motivated. His last full healthy season was Pro Bowl worthy in 2010, besides having a fine year with the Pats in 2008. If Ponder is still Ponder and the Vikes are in playoff contention at mid-season on Peterson's back, I'd look for a QB controversy.

Ponder has more options this year with the WRs they have. Remember that Percy Harvin was injured half the season. Kalil looks like a future ProBowl LT. The question will be their defense. They drafted Floyd, Rhodes, and Hodges. They drafted defensive players like the Packers did last year. What impact will they have?

Ponder doesn't have to progress for the VIkings to be in contention IMO, not unless AP gets hurt.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WRs fall off around 34/35 if they are great it seems like.

AP isn't running for 2000 yards this season. So unless ponder takes a leap forward they will have a worse record.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WRs fall off around 34/35 if they are great it seems like.

AP isn't running for 2000 yards this season. So unless ponder takes a leap forward they will have a worse record.

I'd be surprised if they took a step back like that. Vikings are the 2nd best team in the NFC North, and I don't think that's any stretch. IMO they're clearly a step up from the Bears and the Lions. There are several teams that are adding a lot of young talented players. St Louis Rams lead the list as are the Cardinals as are the Vikings in the NFC, Bengals in the AFC.

I doubt that AP runs for 2000 yards too, although he's promising 2500, but if it's a 1700-1800 yard season as is usual for AP, that may be more than enough.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if they took a step back like that. Vikings are the 2nd best team in the NFC North, and I don't think that's any stretch. IMO they're clearly a step up from the Bears and the Lions. There are several teams that are adding a lot of young talented players. St Louis Rams lead the list as are the Cardinals as are the Vikings in the NFC, Bengals in the AFC.

I doubt that AP runs for 2000 yards too, although he's promising 2500, but if it's a 1700-1800 yard season as is usual for AP, that may be more than enough.

If he ran for 1800 it would be the 2nd highest of his career. More likely is 1300 if you look at his year rushing totals.

Then again even less is more likely based on history. Of players that have rushed for 2000 yrds, all had significant declines the following season. Of the 6, the avg following season is 1,071 yards.

H

HardRightEdge

Ponder has more options this year with the WRs they have. Remember that Percy Harvin was injured half the season. Kalil looks like a future ProBowl LT. The question will be their defense. They drafted Floyd, Rhodes, and Hodges. They drafted defensive players like the Packers did last year. What impact will they have?

Ponder doesn't have to progress for the VIkings to be in contention IMO, not unless AP gets hurt.

Here comes trouble:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...ian-ponder-being-mentored-jeff-042446789.html

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Well that's curious. Isn't George among the first two or three NFL players who fit the description, 'great physical attributes, something missing between the ears'? I'd think he'd be the last person considered for coaching or mentoring a current NFL QB, unless the topic is, 'what not to do'. But it's probably only for OTAs and unfortunately he probably can't do enough harm for Packers fans' purposes.

H

HardRightEdge

Well that's curious. Isn't George among the first two or three NFL players who fit the description, 'great physical attributes, something missing between the ears'? I'd think he'd be the last person considered for coaching or mentoring a current NFL QB, unless the topic is, 'what not to do'. But it's probably only for OTAs and unfortunately he probably can't do enough harm for Packers fans' purposes.

It defies explanation.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall Cobb? He might not be the biggest, but Cobb is more explosive and faster. And he is past his prime because his numbers have peaked over the last couple years. I didn't say he was bad, did I? Also, even Skip Bayless says Welker is past his prime (that's saying something), and he's the biggest Brady/Pats fan. Don't forget the dropped catch in the Super Bowl that would have possibly given them a win. Journalists say he has lost a 'half-step'. No evidence, yet everyone that studies the game says it. If someone isn't as fast, that is one factor in the equation to seeing that someone is out of his prime.

Yea still catching tons of balls tho right? I cant stand Wes welker but he gets open..lost step or not.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts