Do the Packers have/need a staple play?

Reaction score
The Packers of the Lombardi era had a 'Power Sweep' play they used a lot, one that called for G Jerry Kramer pulling and FB Jim Taylor running with force through the lane.

The Packers of the Sherman era had a U-71 package that called for Kevin Barry to come in at TE and be a blocker, and have the RB run to the side Kevin was on and run through an open lane.

Both plays were quite successful, and it got me thinking did the Packers have a staple play last year? I don't remember any off the top of my head...

Also, if we didn't, what play would you like to see Coach McCarthy adopt as the staple play of this years Packers O?

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is there a reason we stopped using the counter pitch? Did teams start jumping all over it? As I remember it was quite successful...
Of course, changes in OC probably had something to do with it disappearing.
Still, with mobile linemen it seems like it could be effective now.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
I'd love to see us adopt a staple play that incorporates our 'fast' O-linemen, like MassPackersFan said.

The only thing that I recall that may have been close to a staple play last year was that in the Red Zone, when we could have ran the ball in for a TD, we opted to pass instead. It was a successful move if I'm not mistaken, got us something like 7 TDs to 1 INT (that came in the Bills game)...

Weissman1989

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, so returning to the real question...

I loved the U-71 package, and Id love to see a staple RUNNING play. I'm really excited to watching the zone blocking scheme work and hopefully we devolp a great play along the way.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i hated the U-71. some old school high school coaches are all "i don't care if they know what we're gonna run, cuz we'll run 'em over anyway." That **** don't fly in the NFL.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think our staple play for the last deade has been the screen. I would say our other go to play has been the handoff up the middle on 2nd and 10 for minus 2.

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
i hated the U-71. some old school high school coaches are all "i don't care if they know what we're gonna run, cuz we'll run 'em over anyway." That **** don't fly in the NFL.

The thing is, when our O-line was good a few years ago it actually did work, even though the other team knew it was coming.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, yeah, let's go back to the screen. Brandon Jackson is great catching the ball and running with it, and we have the mobile linemen.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our staple play is of course the HB Draw, if you were in the play by play on ventrillo last year you'll remember well that the concensus was on every 3rd and long play, the Draw was a money play! :D

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The play when Favre rolls out and throws to either a fullback short or a WR deeper. That play is almost always good for a gain.

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Easy" button..............isn't that what the Viking players pushed to get girls for their "Love Boat" cruise??? :rotflmao:

Nope, you must be thinking of the time that the Vikings and Packers met in the playoffs :rotflmao:

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I miss the screen pass. I would say that was the staple of the Holmgren era. Sherman's not utilizing it was a mistake. I also HATE watching other teams screen us to death.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
"Easy" button..............isn't that what the Viking players pushed to get girls for their "Love Boat" cruise??? :rotflmao:

Nope, you must be thinking of the time that the Vikings and Packers met in the playoffs :rotflmao:
No.....thats not it.......I was thinking of the button the teams that played the Vikings pushed in the Vikings 4 Super Bowl losses. :thumbsup: :rotflmao:
They pushed "EASY", and got to play Minnesota!

Members online

Latest posts