Do Packer Forum members/fans want AR to leave?

txj

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You will be in for a rude awakening once the Packers don't feature a HOF quarterback anymore.

I guarantee that the Packers would prefer to trade Rodgers instead of him retiring as they would receive some compensation for him.

I highly doubt there's any truth to that at all.

Without an elite quarterback the Packers lack a lot of talent to be a competitive team. If Love doesn't perform well in his first season as a starter they will be in the running for the #1 overall pick in 2024.

I'm shocked.
I'll take 3yrs in the wilderness for the Packers rather than have him back!

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The FO needs to understand that getting a pittance for Rodgers will help send the team into nuclear winter. If Love is going to have a legitimate shot to show his worth, Gute needs to surround him with more weapons. That will only happen if he can get high draft pick(s). Reports that the Jets and Packers will swap first round picks as part of the deal is a farce. 13 and 15 are so close as to make such a swap negligible in value. If the Jets really want Rodgers, make them pay for him. He won't bring anywhere near what the Lions or Seahawks got, but a first or two seconds needs to be the bottom line.

D

Deleted member 6794

The 2 biggest changes that have helped the Packers are unrestricted free agency and the salary cap. Without those 2 things, I doubt that even with Favre and Rodgers at QB, the Packers stay competitive in the majority of the seasons that one of them was the Packers QB.

There's no doubt the Packers wouldn't have been able to stay competitive without the salary cap being in place. In my opinion free agency has actually hindered the Packers chances of winning more Super Bowls though.

GB might just be thinking fir a 3rd Rounder we can just eat his contract and keep him aboard. It’s financially Risky but not at all undoable.

How do you all think Rodgers would feel about not getting to leave and being our backup to Jordan Love?? over a 2nd or 3rd Rounder?? It’s insulting to him in particular if the Jets did that. Embarrassing would be more adequate. if Rodgers allows that to happen, he’ll ruin his reputation and trust me the Jets will bend some unless they are complete idiots if they let a couple Day 2’s to ruin a once in a lifetime chance.

I think GB is holding out for a #13 or equivalent and I fully support it. It’s 100% fair compensation. I’d want a #43 + 2024 Day 1 (or equivalent). We’re in complete rebuild and we need equity or if we get weak then prepare for a long rebuild. If I’m going down I’m taking Rodgers down with me. I’ll pay him $60m to have him serving Water and clean the bathrooms if that’s what he desires. Stay tuned! :coffee:

Can we please stop suggesting it's a legit option for the Packers to keep Rodgers around as the backup while paying him $60 million? :rolleyes:

In addition I'm absolutely convinced he's not involved in talks between the team and the Jets about the compensation in a trade for him.

I'll take 3yrs in the wilderness for the Packers rather than have him back!

That's ridiculous.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kinda torn on that. On one hand he is one of the best players to wear the green and gold. On the other the Packers are in salary cap hell and shouldn't pay a 40 year old qb 60 million for this season..or keep kicking that can down the road. If he decided to come back and say this is my last year..let's get another lombardi..I would be open to that as well.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers mat not light it up in the “win” column but I am excited to watch them play again! The last few seasons have kind of been beige for me. I am anxious to see what J. Love can do. Go Pack!
I agree. Every year Rodgers was the starter, the expectation, right or wrong, was a trip to the SB at a minimum. That resulted in a lot of disappointment.

Now there aren't really expectations, or at least they are varied. Some expect a winning season, a trip to the playoffs, a losing season, Love does great, Love does poorly, and on and on.

I call that fun. The consensus opinion probably has the Packers finishing with 6, maybe 7 wins. And finally, instead of guessing if Love is gonna be good or not, instead of guessing if Gluten made the right pick in 2020 or not, we'll find out.

Sometimes, when the pressure is a lot lower, teams will step up and do well. Look at the Heat in the NBA this year. Call me crazy, I'm looking forward to the 2023 season.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Every year Rodgers was the starter, the expectation, right or wrong, was a trip to the SB at a minimum. That resulted in a lot of disappointment.

Now there aren't really expectations, or at least they are varied. Some expect a winning season, a trip to the playoffs, a losing season, Love does great, Love does poorly, and on and on.

I call that fun. The consensus opinion probably has the Packers finishing with 6, maybe 7 wins. And finally, instead of guessing if Love is gonna be good or not, instead of guessing if Gluten made the right pick in 2020 or not, we'll find out.

Sometimes, when the pressure is a lot lower, teams will step up and do well. Look at the Heat in the NBA this year. Call me crazy, I'm looking forward to the 2023 season.
Happy to oblige. You are crazy. TIC.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Happy to oblige. You are crazy. TIC.
Well maybe not legally crazy Schultz. I really am looking forward to the season. Now check back in week 3 or 4, might be another answer.......

I'm also interested in how the AFC East plays out. The Bills have a new DC, and it will be interesting to watch the two games between the Bills and Jets. I think one of them will win the conference title, but Miami is a bit of a wild card.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well maybe not legally crazy Schultz. I really am looking forward to the season. Now check back in week 3 or 4, might be another answer.......

I'm also interested in how the AFC East plays out. The Bills have a new DC, and it will be interesting to watch the two games between the Bills and Jets. I think one of them will win the conference title, but Miami is a bit of a wild card.
Vegas (per Google) have:

Bills +140
Jets +230
Dolphins +290
Pats +700

I could see any of these teams win it. I thought the Bill's took a big hit in FAs but looks like it was just ILB Edmunds. They have great coaching and FO folks who find and develop talent. Jets are an ascending team but are thin. May be a injury or two from a bad season. Dolphins are improving - I am a Tua fan so I have higher expectations than most. Pats and Belicheck can always surprise.

I'm guessing Bills win the division be 3 wins and a win separates Miami and NY.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vegas (per Google) have:

Bills +140
Jets +230
Dolphins +290
Pats +700

I could see any of these teams win it. I thought the Bill's took a big hit in FAs but looks like it was just ILB Edmunds. They have great coaching and FO folks who find and develop talent. Jets are an ascending team but are thin. May be a injury or two from a bad season. Dolphins are improving - I am a Tua fan so I have higher expectations than most. Pats and Belicheck can always surprise.

Thanks Amish. Very nice breakdown of the AFC East. And yeah, it's never a good idea to ignore BB. The Pats seem to be set now at QB, although Jones is not a "franchise" QB he won't lose games either. BB just finds ways to win and exploits even a good team's weaknesses. That said, I still think they'll finish last.

I like TT as well. Hopefully he hasn't done so much damage from the concussions that he'd need to consider retiring. I still see it as a huge risk. If he has any concussions this year, his future may be in doubt. And that's a shame, because I think he's a very good QB, he's young, smart, and has a great arm.

And agree that the Bills will take the conference with the Dolphins/Jets duking it out for second place. The AFC East could be like last year's version of the NFC East, with three teams in the playoffs.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is the over/under on games before Tua gets a season-ending concussion? I'm predicting 4. :( Kid needs to walk away while he still has most of his faculties.
I’m with ya Pk. Didn’t he miss like 4 or 5 weeks after a third concussion? Easy for me to say, but not worth it.

Then again, a guy in his mid 20s gets $40 or $50 mil/year dangled in front of him.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vegas (per Google) have:

Bills +140
Jets +230
Dolphins +290
Pats +700

The Pats were the top dog for like eons. Does Belicheck want to be relegated to last place?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is the over/under on games before Tua gets a season-ending concussion? I'm predicting 4. :( Kid needs to walk away while he still has most of his faculties.
Damn. Hate to see any player get hurt, even a bear. Hope for the best.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m with ya Pk. Didn’t he miss like 4 or 5 weeks after a third concussion? Easy for me to say, but not worth it.

Then again, a guy in his mid 20s gets $40 or $50 mil/year dangled in front of him.
I step into the ring with Mike Tyson and make fun of his mother for $50M.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

I'd be just fine with the $40 M and call it a career. Spend the rest of my life with my faculties and family.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suspect 2023 and 2024 are going to end up looking like 2008 and 2009....I hope it will be better, but I'm not expecting it.
2009 was not too bad. In fact that would be encouraging. The end hurt in the desert because ARod missed Greg Jennings in OT and fumbled to lose it on the next play. But the 2 losses to Favre that year hurt. We should have won the one at Lambeau. Johnny Jolley's head butt penalty inside the red zone cost us momentum and 4 points.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I suspect 2023 and 2024 are going to end up looking like 2008 and 2009....I hope it will be better, but I'm not expecting it.

I would be excited about the future if the Packers finished this season fifth in points scored like they did in 2008 as well as win as many games as they did in 2009 (11-5).

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be excited about the future if the Packers finished this season fifth in points scored like they did in 2008 as well as win as many games as they did in 2009 (11-5).
My hope is that the offense can score nearly as many points as the defense allows. It could be an ugly year.

Keep your expectations around 7 wins as being a good season, and be happy with it. Anything over that would be gravy.

This team is built to survive this season, and begin to grow in talent, preparing for a return to the upper 25% of the league in two years, IF Love can be a middle of the road QB. If he proves to be better than that, you can start to be excited after that.

The one problem the Packers have is that Love's contract is going to be huge, going forward, if he proves to be a good QB.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The one problem the Packers have is that Love's contract is going to be huge, going forward, if he proves to be a good QB.
That is a good problem to have.

I think this whole "gotta have your QB on a rookie contract, to be successful" is overblown. Sure, every team dreams of having star players on rookie deals, but how often does it happen and for how long? It would have been nice to pay Rodgers on a rookie deal or any top player at that. However, once a player, especially a QB, has a breakout season during his rookie deal, it isn't often that the rookie deal runs its course. The team and the player are anxious to lock in a bigger and longer term deal.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is a good problem to have.

I think this whole "gotta have your QB on a rookie contract, to be successful" is overblown. Sure, every team dreams of having star players on rookie deals, but how often does it happen and for how long? It would have been nice to pay Rodgers on a rookie deal or any top player at that. However, once a player, especially a QB, has a breakout season during his rookie deal, it isn't often that the rookie deal runs its course. The team and the player are anxious to lock in a bigger and longer term deal.
I'd agree, if you already have the right pieces in place. In this case, they're going to have to build around an existing big bucks contract I'm afraid. It's all about what comes first.

Members online

Latest posts