Do Packer Forum members/fans want AR to leave?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember seeing this replay last night and wondering why Red**** wasn't flagged. I would imagine that the league looks at it and fines him. He made sure to position his body and launch himself into Rodgers hand, when Rodgers was obviously going down.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

During the game I didnt even think abour the possibility he did that intentionally...but thinking about it now, maybe he did

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It wasn't Red****'s only cheap shot of the night, I remember him piling into this tackle as well. Cox clearly has Rodgers down.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

JoePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I don't. I'd like to see him retire the end of this yr. He can't escape fast enough and will just keep getting hammered. Time for Love to see what the future is.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is Rodgers excoriated for not winning in another SB but guys like Brees, Favre, Warner and Big Ben never are?
Addressed Ben, later replaced by Wilson. Then addressed Warner. Next, I guess, would be Favre. Hard to see why you don't think he's been as hammered as AR, as in the other half of "twenty-some years of HOF QBs and only two SBs", or being at the helm when the Lambeau mystique dissolved, or ending X number of playoff games with a prototypical INT. Plus, he seemed like a fun guy at the time and was the QB who lead the team out of the Gory Years. Stay tuned for Brees and Wilson although it's tough for an old guy to remember. :)

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but what you think on this one is totally wrong. There's no way you can get to the crux of what has to be done until you have the cap space to do it, and the Packers will not have it in 2023 and 2024. I think you better factor that into your plans of rebuilding overnight.

First of all the Packers would hugely benefit from Rodgers being able to stay healthy in 2023. In my opinion they need a veteran wide receiver and a tight end to possible field an elite unit next season. It might be possible to address the TE position with Michael Mayer in the first round.

The defense features a lot of talented player but lacks a defensive coordinator how to use them. That could be addressed without spending any cap space.

Therefore I'm far more optimistic about next season than you seem to be.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all the Packers would hugely benefit from Rodgers being able to stay healthy in 2023. In my opinion they need a veteran wide receiver and a tight end to possible field an elite unit next season. It might be possible to address the TE position with Michael Mayer in the first round.

The defense features a lot of talented player but lacks a defensive coordinator how to use them. That could be addressed without spending any cap space.

Therefore I'm far more optimistic about next season than you seem to be.
I don't believe it's as simple as adding a quality TE to the mix, and changing DCs is going to make the defense execute better. I admire your optimism, but I'm a realist, who has spent enough time on the sideline as a coach, to believe there's as much talent there as you believe.

But, we're all welcome to our opinion.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where's the cap space to land a good veteran receiver without creating more holes in the roster? I have to believe that Jenkins will be much better which will improve the o line but rookie TE's rarely produce. Will Jones restructure to lessen his cap hit because he's still an elite player that isn't replaced by giving Dillon more touches? The offense will likely improve in 2023 but is far from an elite unit.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where's the cap space to land a good veteran receiver without creating more holes in the roster? I have to believe that Jenkins will be much better which will improve the o line but rookie TE's rarely produce. Will Jones restructure to lessen his cap hit because he's still an elite player that isn't replaced by giving Dillon more touches? The offense will likely improve in 2023 but is far from an elite unit.
A rookie TE would most likely be better than the group presently on this roster.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just cannot see the mostly overwhelming desire for a TE. I would much rather have really fine O linemen. Tackle or guard. That is not the place to skimp imho.

Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I just cannot see the mostly overwhelming desire for a TE. I would much rather have really fine O linemen. Tackle or guard. That is not the place to skimp imho.
Speaking only for myself, I think many want to see the Packers find a Kittle or Gronk kind of TE. One that can do it all. Cook was the closest we had since Finley, to a TE that was actually a receiving threat. Big Bob is ok, but not consistent enough.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't believe it's as simple as adding a quality TE to the mix, and changing DCs is going to make the defense execute better. I admire your optimism, but I'm a realist, who has spent enough time on the sideline as a coach, to believe there's as much talent there as you believe.

But, we're all welcome to our opinion.

As I have mentioned the Packers need to add a veteran wide receiver as well. If they end up doing that, use their first rounder on Michael Mayer and re-sign Jenkins I fully expect the offense to get back to being one of the best units in the league.

On the defensive side of the ball there's no doubt in my mind there's a lot of talent but they haven't played as a unit all season long. That's solely on the coaching staff. A new defensive coordinator should be able to have them perform at a high level.

Over The Cap and Spotrac estimate the salary cap will be set somewhere between $218 million and $225M for next season.

According to both websites the Packers currently have just north of $228 million allocated towards their top 51 contracts for next season. With them currently having a bit over $7 million of cap space available for this season that can be rolled over they might enter next offseason somewhere between being $3 million over or $4 million under the cap.

If they want to go all-in they could create up to $70 million of cap space by restructuring/extending the contracts of Bakhtiari, Clark, Jones, Alexander, Smith, Gary and Savage though.

While that would result in a huge issues with the cap down the road they have enough wiggle room to create enough cap space to re-sign Jenkins and Amos and bring in a veteran receiver if they want to go that route.

While it's true rookie tight ends rarely contribute immediately Michael Mayer might be an exception to that.

A rookie TE would most likely be better than the group presently on this roster.

Mayer would definitely be an upgrade over anyone currently on the roster in his first season. Not sure about any other tight end in next year's draft though.

If Bakhtiari and Jenkins are back fully healthy next season the need for a tight end is much more pressing.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Much of what the Packers can scrape up in the way of cap space will be needed to sign Gary and Jenkins. Jones has to be restructured but I don't think it's a good idea to push more money into future years because of Bahktiari. While every player is vulnerable, he could be finished after any play. Gute has a horrible record drafting TE's. I'd much rather see them
spend their first round pick on a WR and their second on a Safety.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also forget to mention signing Josh Nijman is going to cost a few bucks making the chances of signing a good veteren WR slim if they want to keep him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Much of what the Packers can scrape up in the way of cap space will be needed to sign Gary and Jenkins.

As mentioned above the Packers could actually reduce Gary's cap hit for next season by signing him to an extension.

Gute has a horrible record drafting TE's. I'd much rather see them spend their first round pick on a WR and their second on a Safety.

I believe it's all but guaranteed that Michael Mayer will develop into a productive tight end at the NFL level. I definitely don't want the Packers to spend their first round pick on any other player at the position.

I also forget to mention signing Josh Nijman is going to cost a few bucks making the chances of signing a good veteren WR slim if they want to keep him.

The Packers could definitely fit Nijman under the cap while signing a veteran wide receiver by creating cap space the way I described above.

txj

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I mostly or have only seen is just talk if A-Rod leaves but not much if fans want him to stay or go.

On the one hand he has been letting us down for over a decade now in playoff games.
On the other, he is our best and only hope right now.

If A-Rod goes then it means breaking in a new QB which could mean missing the playoffs next year and perhaps a few more unless we get lucky a third time.

I would rather see him retire in green and yellow though if he goes I would understand and still be a fan of his as long as there are no bitter feelings and he does not play for a rival team.

Your thoughts and feelings.
He cannot leave fast enough for me...Whatever it takes, we simply need to be rid of...

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking only for myself, I think many want to see the Packers find a Kittle or Gronk kind of TE. One that can do it all. Cook was the closest we had since Finley, to a TE that was actually a receiving threat. Big Bob is ok, but not consistent enough.
Agree. I hope they get the Jets #13 pick and take Mayer or Musgrave at TE and Branch at S. That would be a good first round. Hopefully they also get the Jets 2nd round pick and can get an OT and Edge guy. Dream draft IMO.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Agree. I hope they get the Jets #13 pick and take Mayer or Musgrave at TE and Branch at S. That would be a good first round. Hopefully they also get the Jets 2nd round pick and can get an OT and Edge guy. Dream draft IMO.
The longer it drags out, I think the less we get for Rodgers. Might end up being just the Jets 2nd, a player and maybe a future pick tied to performance.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully we are able to leverage the Jimmy G news into a better return. The Jets have pretty much pushed all their chips in on landing Rodgers, they don't have any "hedge" option at this point it feels like so it's either pay up and get Rodgers or...who knows.

And I think from the Packers perspective we are okay either way at this point. Would be nice to get some draft compensation to move Rodgers, but if he just retires I am pretty sure our FO will be perfectly fine with that too. As I have said before I do think that the Jets need Rodgers to join them more than we need him back or need him traded. I don't get the sense that Rodgers will try and force his way back to GB; if we come out and say that he's now a part of Packers history (and more or less have done so) I think he would sooner retire than try and force us to keep him around.

All that said though it seems like for a few days now it's been the case that GB and NYJ already have got things mostly agreed on and are just waiting for Rodgers to decide he wants to keep playing. Maybe there would have been some wisdom in waiting to get a deal done with NYJ (as less options for them means a higher price for us presumably) but it's probably not a major swing one way or the other at this point.

Members online

Latest posts