Do Packer Forum members/fans want AR to leave?

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree at this point...my thoughts was at best you're getting is two early day 3 picks with maybe one having the chance to upgrade to a 3rd - to me that is his top shelf value...

They get Love - we get two 5ths (one can become a 4th) or a 4th and a 5th with the 5th possible becoming a 4th <- those are probably more likely than even sniffing a 3rd as I said above honestly.
A back end 4th or an early 5th (not both) is the best I can see anyone offering if he doesn't play any significant snaps this season. The risk is his value could go up or down based on his play. I agree that he needs to play before making the decision on his 5th yr. option.

Reaction score
The ONLY reason to trade Love is if Rodgers makes it clear I'm here beyond even 2023. I don't know if that is something he can commit to honestly....I think more and more likely has become if Love doesn't play this year a decent amount and we don't see him in live action...no 5th year option is going to occur...Rodgers plays 2023, Love is a FA after it and we are stuck in this limbo area waiting on Rodgers to decide...hope Love waits to make a decision till Rodgers makes a decision and meanwhile our scouts have to prepare ******* QB prospects because we literally could be entering the 2024 draft with no QBs on roster or both or one.

Honestly, I also envision sour grapes start should we lose to Eagles between Rodgers and Gute/Organization.....Rodgers is obviously the best chance to win any week presently, BUT it would be ignorant to not get Love some time when the season is lost....however a BIG factor is how much discussion of future between Rodgers and Gute/MLF has there been before the extension was signed, during the season so far and such???? No one but that very small crowd knows.
We’re in a conundrum. But it’s not the worst thing ever.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as being old fashioned. With all due respect, Old fashioned is not known for capitulating and compromising due to short term fears. Old fashioned stands for doing what is right in the name of convictions and high moral standard.
Not quite sure what you're trying to say here. I guess you're saying we should have cut ties with Rodgers because he was disgruntled, and they went too far to pacify him? I see it more that they ironed out some problems, which I have no moral problem with. If you want to say they should have cut Rodgers loose for football reasons, that's another thing.

As it is, they kept him and tried to make a run, and it came close to paying off, but as usual with the Packer luck these days, it didn't come close enough. They had their best chance in years of getting to the Super Bowl in 2020, IMO. So Gute took a swing, they just didn't quite connect with it.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly when did we come close? People yapped incessantly about getting playoff games at Lambeau. We did that, and them lost DECISIVELY TWICE - first - to Tampa Bay in a game where Rogers played very average (below average in the second half), came a little closer actually last year in a game where Rogers was just plain BAD. In big games Great QBs lead their team places they could not ordinarily go. Rogers is along for the ride and then points fingers trying to preserve some kind of BS legacy.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never underestimate the stupidity of a poorly ran organization.
Let's just hope we're not one of them.

Exactly when did we come close? People yapped incessantly about getting playoff games at Lambeau. We did that, and them lost DECISIVELY TWICE - first - to Tampa Bay in a game where Rogers played very average (below average in the second half), came a little closer actually last year in a game where Rogers was just plain BAD. In big games Great QBs lead their team places they could not ordinarily go. Rogers is along for the ride and then points fingers trying to preserve some kind of BS legacy.
I wouldn't exactly call Rodgers Mr. Clutch, but I wouldn't say he's along for the ride either. He does have a better passer rating in the playoffs than Tom Brady, yet Brady has six more rings. It's a team sport. Are there other quarterbacks who would have taken those teams to Super Bowl wins? If so, I have to think it's a short list.

D

Deleted member 6794

from that Rodgers trade (hypothetical trade)

That's not how it works. Teams that trade away a player aren't awarded any compensatory picks.

And none of that is to say anything against Rodgers whatsoever. But I do think it's looking more and more like we are more than one "piece" away from being a contender and perhaps there is some logic to the notion that the whole roster could use a bit of a re-tool from top to bottom.

I agree with the rest of your post but I truly believe the Packers are only some pieces away from being a legit contender. Mainly they need to improve at wide receiver, tight end and possibly the offensive line. A new defensive coordinator should be able to have the unit perform at an elite level.

The ONLY reason to trade Love is if Rodgers makes it clear I'm here beyond even 2023.

Actually I don't believe another team would offer enough compensation for it to make sense to trade Love next offseason anyway. That might change if he ends up playing well in meaningful action this season.

I guess holding on to him and let the situation with Rodgers and him should be considered the smart approach.

Exactly when did we come close? People yapped incessantly about getting playoff games at Lambeau. We did that, and them lost DECISIVELY TWICE - first - to Tampa Bay in a game where Rogers played very average (below average in the second half), came a little closer actually last year in a game where Rogers was just plain BAD.

The Packers lost both games by a combined eight points. It's ignorant to suggest they didn't come close to winning one or both of them.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not how it works. Teams that trade away a player aren't awarded any compensatory picks.

I agree with the rest of your post but I truly believe the Packers are only some pieces away from being a legit contender. Mainly they need to improve at wide receiver, tight end and possibly the offensive line. A new defensive coordinator should be able to have the unit perform at an elite level.

Actually I don't believe another team would offer enough compensation for it to make sense to trade Love next offseason anyway. That might change if he ends up playing well in meaningful action this season.

I guess holding on to him and let the situation with Rodgers and him should be considered the smart approach.

The Packers lost both games by a combined eight points. It's ignorant to suggest they didn't come close to winning one or both of them.
One play in each of those 2 losses likely changes the outcome.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One play in most games changes the outcome.
i'm not sure I'd say that. There's probably a handful of plays every game that if they go the other way changes the outcome a lot of times, but most games, one play? I've seen very few of those over 4 decades of watching more than your casual fan does, and unfortunately I watched one of those games at the end of last year and my team was on the losing end.

D

Deleted member 6794

One play in most games changes the outcome.

While there might be some truth to it in games decided by a score it's definitely wrong to suggest the Packers weren't close to winning any of the two playoff games they lost over the past two seasons.

?? I said "awarded"?? I thought I said traded? maybe I mispoke I meant traded

My bad, it seems I misinterpreted your post.

But, taking a look at the teams which are in line for compensatory picks next offseason I don't believe the Packers could find a trade partner giving up a litany or plethora of them to trade for Rodgers. In addition there's no way for teams to trade compensatory picks in 2024 as they aren't awarded until mid-March preceding each year's draft.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But, taking a look at the teams which are in line for compensatory picks next offseason I don't believe the Packers could find a trade partner giving up a litany or plethora of them to trade for Rodgers. In addition there's no way for teams to trade compensatory picks in 2024 as they aren't awarded until mid-March preceding each year's draft.

I think you'd be surprised by what teams are willing to give up for a player like Rodgers when they think they're only that 1 player away from winning it all (even if they're not).

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Then why is he playing?
Because, he can?

Probably, because the Packers thought that their chances were better with him, than without him?

If his thumb in fact is broken, I am guessing that his doctor(s) cleared him to play.

If nothing else, a good excuse to sit him and give Jordan Love some valuable playing time in these last 6 games.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you'd be surprised by what teams are willing to give up for a player like Rodgers when they think they're only that 1 player away from winning it all (even if they're not).
Hey, Favre was obviously in demand when he left here.

JPPT1974

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not having Adams as his go to has hurt a lot. Plus in the gaining a lot of fame and fortune has really made his head big. Having said that, he really will have his jersey retired there when all is said and done as could be awhile.

D

Deleted member 6794

My point was that most teams that will receive a significant amount of compensatory picks next season either won't be interested in trading for Rodgers because they have an elite quarterback (Chiefs), a starting QB they have a lot of money invested in (Arizona, Cleveland) or don't have enough regular draft capital to acquire him (Niners).

The Commanders are the only team that will most likely end up receiving a third round compensatory pick and might be interested in making a move for Rodgers.

Probably, because the Packers thought that their chances were better with him, than without him?

If the Packers were convinced that Rodgers playing with a broken thumb gives them a better chance of winning that's actually all you need to know about Love.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Because, he can?

If his thumb in fact is broken, I am guessing that his doctor(s) cleared him to play.

If nothing else, a good excuse to sit him and give Jordan Love some valuable playing time in these last 6 games.
Rodgers said the thumb hurt worse vs dallas and he played really well....he doesn't think the thumb is an issue in ability.

They haven't altered the playbook??

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Rodgers said the thumb hurt worse vs dallas and he played really well....he doesn't think the thumb is an issue in ability.

They haven't altered the playbook??
I'm guessing that its an on again off again issue and probably both physical and mental as well. We have all had injuries in our lives and some days they feel pretty good and the next day, not so good.

As far as altering the playbook, it seems they haven't a lot, but I do think they throw way too many WR screens.

I tend to agree. I don't believe we're going to get anything, or at most, a gesture of thanks with a late round pick, for Rodgers, if traded. I think he ends up FA.
I think there would be a handful of teams interested in Rodgers and willing to pay quite a bit for him as well. Seems like the whole philosophy of the NFL has shifted to a "win now, at all costs", while the window is open." Teams that feel like they are just a solid QB away from a Superbowl, like the Browns, Jets, 49'ers., Seahawks, Colts, etc. might get involved in a Rodger Sweepstakes. If Rodgers broken thumb is to blame for the hiccup this year, that will make it even more enticing. Finally, his contract would really favor his new team. Given the fact that the Packers will be picking up most of his upfront money, his new team would be getting Rodgers at a very reduced rate.

The Packers would probably have to wait to trade Rodgers after June 1st, so that they can spread the cap hit out over 2 seasons, but I think this might be there last chance to trade Rodgers and get anything of value for him. Also, it gives the Packers a fresh start and Rodgers one as well.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts