DL Help for 2022

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see a thread really addressing this specifically so I will make one now. I think besides depth at linebacker (inside and EDGE) and depth in the secondary, this is our last remaining issue for the D.

Kenny Clark is obviously very good and Top 5 IMHO.

Here are some available DL:
Ndamakuh Suh
Eddie Goldman
Solomon Thomas
Akiem Hicks
Larry Ogunjobi
Calais Campbell
Bilal Nichols

I'd love any of these guys to pair with Clark tbh. My guess is is that we sign Bilal Nichols, as he is young, and not the "**** name" like Hicks or Goldman, but any of them would be fine

Thouhts?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see a thread really addressing this specifically so I will make one now. I think besides depth at linebacker (inside and EDGE) and depth in the secondary, this is our last remaining issue for the D.

Ndamakuh Suh
Eddie Goldman
Solomon Thomas
Akiem Hicks
Larry Ogunjobi
Calais Campbell
Bilal Nichols

I'd love any of these guys to pair with Clark tbh. My guess is is that we sign Bilal Nichols, as he is young, and not the "**** name" like Hicks or Goldman, but any of them would be fine

Thouhts?
I’d rather turn off the TV than have to watch Sue in Green an Gold.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ndamakuh Suh
Eddie Goldman
Solomon Thomas
Akiem Hicks
Larry Ogunjobi
Calais Campbell
Bilal Nichols

Thouhts?
I like going young also. This is a position that gets a lot of the freak injuries because of the pile ups, step ons, and cut blocks ( legal or illegal ). I wish we could find another BJ Raji in the draft but it is unlikely. If the Packers can stop the run particularly in the middle our LBs can do their thing. We held the Frisco ground game in check most of the game until that final drive. Kenny needs help. He gets double teamed so often and we have to force teams to play it straight.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ndamakuh Suh
Eddie Goldman
Solomon Thomas
Akiem Hicks
Larry Ogunjobi
Calais Campbell
Bilal Nichols

Thouhts?

So the Free Agent thread is where discussion of free agents of various positions is discussed.

Jarran Reed was one of five guys I brought up while back and appears he is being signed now.

Reaction score
Hopefully, signing Jarran Reed will end up the same way signing De'Vondre Campbell and Rasul Douglas did, not a big deal at the time of the signing, but they end up breaking out and being key major contributors.

Maybe there is a chance of this happening because Barry seems to be good at developing and finding players who are a good fit.

However, even if he doesn't, he still seems to be a very solid player, which would provide both some depth and some DL help.

Reaction score
While this is likely a short term rental from a player likely in his last couple seasons, this is a very impactful signing. It’s obviously a position that we need immediate help and he’s an above average, established veteran. He’s a definitive and marked upgrade over Keke.
-He’s fully trained
-He’s a disruptive 2 block eater and he doesn’t lose 1 on 1’s.
-He came into the draft rated very respectable 6.7 Draft Rating (NFL.com) in 2016

-several projections had him squarely as a Day 1 pick (Walter had him projected #23 where Clark (#24 overall) ended up landing.
- Reed is very similar to a Kenny build and power in his attack, but with a slightly less speed and conditioning.
-He’s got a little Mike Daniels mentality in him (fired up) and he’s going to offer that similar type “Big Mike” excitement, emotion and results while in his prime
-Not a world beater and came into the league with “lack of Sacks”
at Alabama a concern.. Reed responded nicely in 2018-10.5 Sacks and again in 2020-6:5 sacks
- Good Run Stopper with good hands

-Very reliable n rarely misses time/ now on a consecutive 33 game run

Last edited:
OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides Larry O. I'm glad we got Reed. I hadn't noticed Bilal was already signed by the Raiders lol

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does not remove DL from the draft list and team needs, but it downgrades it for sure. Lowry is in his last year, Heflin experiment will hit second year and Slaton's future should begin to be more clearly seen this year. I expect we still draft one, maybe two if both Day 3 types.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully, signing Jarran Reed will end up the same way signing De'Vondre Campbell and Rasul Douglas did, not a big deal at the time of the signing, but they end up breaking out and being key major contributors.

Maybe there is a chance of this happening because Barry seems to be good at developing and finding players who are a good fit.

However, even if he doesn't, he still seems to be a very solid player, which would provide both some depth and some DL help.
I think what you saying is highly likely to happened. I don't think it is a coincidence that De'Vondre and Rasul played at these best and had great seasons.
When players end up in solid organizations with great leadership they suddenly feel alive again and motivated to play because they believe in the culture and know that what you do actually matters and is appropriated and they realize they always have a chance to win it all.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice. It fills a need, and allows GB to address other needs in the draft.
Good move. Different body type of course than Z. Should be able to help with the run defense. And when someone gets hurt he can take more snaps. We can address other needs but I am not so sure the Pack is done surmising the DL help.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think what you saying is highly likely to happened. I don't think it is a coincidence that De'Vondre and Rasul played at these best and had great seasons.
When players end up in solid organizations with great leadership they suddenly feel alive again and motivated to play because they believe in the culture and know that what you do actually matters and is appropriated and they realize they always have a chance to win it all.
I like what happened with Campbell and Douglas although I do think it is a coincidence. But that is maybe because I am still haunted by the Dom Capers-Ted Thompson system. Time to get into the bright sunshine of Joe Barry and Gute.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Reed some kind of hybrid? I thought he was strictly interior line. That is what we need imho.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good move. Different body type of course than Z. Should be able to help with the run defense. And when someone gets hurt he can take more snaps. We can address other needs but I am not so sure the Pack is done surmising the DL help.

Would sure hope so given different position. :D

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Reed some kind of hybrid? I thought he was strictly interior line. That is what we need imho.
Exactly. If you look at the body dimensions you can picture where he will go. Not as heavy as a Gilbert Brown or a Grady Jackson but taller. Not as tall as a Santana Dotson but a little stouter. Similar to a Johnny Jolley on days he did not get a home cooked meal.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. If you look at the body dimensions you can picture where he will go. Not as heavy as a Gilbert Brown or a Grady Jackson but taller. Not as tall as a Santana Dotson but a little stouter. Similar to a Johnny Jolley on days he did not get a home cooked meal.

Johnny Jolly was actually EXACTLY the type of body type I was thinking of when I saw Reed.

This is also big because our D can run 2 down DL looks and both Reed and Clark could still be effective....couldn't really do that before

Clark Reed
Gary Campbell Barnes Smith
J'Aire Stokes Douglas Amos Savage

Barnes may be the "weakest link" but he is still VERY good as a #2 ILB in my opinion and this D will be VERY good next year

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Johnny Jolly was actually EXACTLY the type of body type I was thinking of when I saw Reed.

This is also big because our D can run 2 down DL looks and both Reed and Clark could still be effective....couldn't really do that before

Clark Reed

Barnes may be the "weakest link" but he is still VERY good as a #2 ILB in my opinion and this D will be VERY good next year
May force the opposition to try and run outside or play fake up the middle more often. But it can be a big help to our LB corps.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree. He's an upgrade over Lancaster/Heflin. The Pack may want to add another DT/DE in the draft, but the need is a little less pressing now.

The Pack has seven picks in the first four rounds...You can do a lot with that.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Clark Reed

This defense is so nasty on paper.

We just need pass rushing from the edge.

Pressure from the front, tackles from the middle and sidelines, complete disruption from the secondary.

Reaction score
Does not remove DL from the draft list and team needs, but it downgrades it for sure. Lowry is in his last year, Heflin experiment will hit second year and Slaton's future should begin to be more clearly seen this year. I expect we still draft one, maybe two if both Day 3 types.
Yeah. Reed is a rental, so this actually gives a Rookie DT time to adjust to the NFL, without the immediate pressure.

Before the Reed signing, I had need at DT going inside our 1st 4 selections. Now? I have that DT position need inside our 1st 7 selections (Rounds1-4)

Members online

Latest posts