by Jeff Fedotin, Packers.com
posted 08/08/2005

Corey Williams

Related Information

: Audio

: Training Camp News

: Video

Look Who's Starting
With Grady Jackson having not passed his physical and Cletidus Hunt hampered by a sore shoulder and knee, second-year defensive tackle Corey Williams has entered the starting lineup ahead of more experienced veteran James Lee and Donnell Washington, who was more highly regarded coming out of college.

Much of Williams' improvement is mental. As a rookie, the schemes and adjustment to the pro game overwhelmed him.

"Last year I really didn't know what to expect," he said. "This year I was a little more confident. I knew a little bit more about what was going to go on."

Although he rises too high out of his stance when fatigued, he has improved his leverage by maintaining a low pad level.

For Williams, the maturation process started during last year's final regular season game versus the Chicago Bears on Jan.2. He recorded five tackles, including a sack that dropped Bears quarterback Chad Hutchinson for a six-yard loss.

That end of the season progress carried over through this year's offseason program and thus far in training camp.

"He showed a lot of good things," head coach MikeSherman said. "He's continued that through the minicamps and also in the preseason practices."

I love it. A 2nd yr guy, explosive and hungry! Cletius, you could have been somebody if you weren't so lazy. He looked great during scrimmage.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Williams was obviously a very solid pick. Lee and Washington need to step up their play, but at least Cole is also doing well.

We've also been getting some good production out of Collins, Underwood, Hawkins, Steele, Herrion, Manning, etc. I'd say we've got a good group of young, talented, fast players eager to prove themselves. Now it's a question of how good our coaches are at bringing them along.

Members online

Latest posts