Division round prediction thread

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you're conflating effectiveness vs sustainability here.

QB running numbers have been on a ever increasing trend in college football in past 4-5 years. And I believe that trend will eventually migrate into NFL. Colin and Vick may have been precursors but most young QBs drafted and to be drafted will sleep more in throw and run type QBs. It's a trend that'll stay for the coming decade at least is my guess.

Whether it's sustainable in a physically demanding NFL and whether teams will run schemes that expose their QBs to higher chance of injuries is anyone's call.

Looks at QB rushing yards this season.

1. Lamar
2. Kyler
3. Josh Allen
4. Deshaun
5. Gardner
6. R. Wilson
7. Daniel Jones

Wilson apart...you see the trend, right?

Lamar is a extreme outlier, but that "gimmick" will be a big part of future NFL.

And not trailing in any game all season is a outstanding achievement.
Then perhaps gimmick wasn't the right word for it?

D

Deleted member 6794

Looks at QB rushing yards this season.

1. Lamar
2. Kyler
3. Josh Allen
4. Deshaun
5. Gardner
6. R. Wilson
7. Daniel Jones

Wilson apart...you see the trend, right?

The NFL definitely values mobile quarterbacks significantly more these days but they have to be able to win games throwing from the pocket as well to be successful in the long haul.

At this point Wilson and Watson seem to be the only ones capable of that out of the group. Not surprisingly they're the ones still in the mix.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe so. One dimensional or One trick pony perhaps as they depend on QB to carry the team. And when QB has a bad day, team collapses.

The NFL definitely values mobile quarterbacks significantly more these days but they have to be able to win games throwing from the pocket as well to be successful in the long haul.

At this point Wilson and Watson seem to be the only ones capable of that out of the group. Not surprisingly they're the ones still in the mix.

Give them time. Kyler has shown promise. High picks means bad teams. Once teams settle in and build the supporting cast, their numbers will improve (assuming the QBs are good enough for NFL)

D

Deleted member 6794

Give them time. Kyler has shown promise. High picks means bad teams. Once teams settle in and build the supporting cast, their numbers will improve (assuming the QBs are good enough for NFL)

I guess some of the quarterbacks on your list will develop into successful NFL quarterbacks. But it will be imperative for them to be able to throw from the pocket.

I'm not sure Lamar will ever be that kind of player though as I expect him to struggle like Vick and Kaepernick have before him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe so. One dimensional or One trick pony perhaps as they depend on QB to carry the team. And when QB has a bad day, team collapses.

I think Ingram was the guy that made it work. Every other action on that offense was dependent on him being productive on the ground. Jackson still had his runs, but that's all they had. His lanes weren't as open, the WR's weren't as open and they had no running game outside of the QB on busted plays.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Ingram was the guy that made it work. Every other action on that offense was dependent on him being productive on the ground. Jackson still had his runs, but that's all they had. His lanes weren't as open, the WR's weren't as open and they had no running game outside of the QB on busted plays.
It seemed like they did not use Ingram that much last night. Maybe he was hurt some. But Jackson seemed to keep the ball just about every time.

D

Deleted member 6794

It seemed like they did not use Ingram that much last night. Maybe he was hurt some. But Jackson seemed to keep the ball just about every time.

Ingram didn't practice Tuesday and Wednesday and was only a limited participant in Thursday's practice because of a calf injury.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I never watched a whole Ravens game until yesterday.

I seen some of his passes wobble. Not sure if that was something unique or if it happens for him.

Sky King

Reaction score
Running QBs are an injury waiting to happen. I'm referring to those who lean too heavily toward being runners. If the typical RB has a short career then it only goes to follow that a QB who runs a lot will have his career similarly shortened, especially if he's of typical QB stature. The idea that once the decline begins then they can then evolve more prominently into being passers may be risky business for the so-so passer. If last night is any indication, Jackson is nothing all that spectacular as a passer. Even if he is it may not matter if he gets plastered too often running the ball.

RJII was the big deal only a few short years ago and he sure could run like the wind on top of being elusive. Good arm, too. But getting the snot knocked out of him all too often sure resulted in an accelerated decline to his game. Jackson's style of play may result in him becoming a similar flash-in-the-pan running QB. His body type does not confidently project that long-term durability is assured for his future.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
How many gave the Texans a chance to win this game? They are up 14-0 early. Any given Sunday, man. Same with with the Titans last night.

Maybe the Texans end up losing 35-14. But this early start just goes to show that anyone can be beaten.

WillyP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I predict if the Packers come out of their "bye" week like the Ravens and so far the chiefs, its going to be a looong day

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many gave the Texans a chance to win this game? They are up 14-0 early. Any given Sunday, man. Same with with the Titans last night.

Maybe the Texans end up losing 35-14. But this early start just goes to show that anyone can be beaten.
I predicted The Texans winning so...

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I predicted The Texans winning so...
Yeah. Created shock waves in the national media, too. If only Vegas would have known your prediction maybe they wouldn’t have made the Chiefs heavy favorites. :coffee:

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jeeeeez, lots of game left, but AFC playoffs have been weird so far. Much as I'd love to think we could play Tennessee or Houston in the Superbowl rather than Baltimore or KC, we have some heavy lifting to do to get there.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. Created shock waves in the national media, too. If only Vegas would have known your prediction maybe they wouldn’t have made the Chiefs heavy favorites. :coffee:
O'Brien is going to cost them this freaking game. I can already tell.

Sky King

Reaction score
At first, it looked like Houston II vs Houston (former) for the AFCCG. Now it's anyone's game. This game could supplant our last NFCCG for being an epic faceplant. Entertaining for anybody without a horse in the race and a nail-biter for everyone else.

Last edited:

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
O'Brien needs to be fired if Houston loses this game.

Sky King

Reaction score
As much as I actually enjoy listening to the Nantz and Romo broadcast team, the sound has now been muted thanks to that inane pseudo-Indian chant that's moaned incessantly by the Chiefs' fans. It's almost as annoying as a Steyer ad, which thank goodness, I also missed as a bonus for putting it on mute. Now if there was a "No Flo" button on my remote the world would be a better place.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No seriously, they had better fire O'Brien. I know they won't but still. There is no excuse for this crap.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts