Disturbing public display of hate at chicago zoo - please help

Chicago Packer Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fellow Packer fans, I wish to bring something to your attention. The Brookfield Zoo of Chicago and Dominck’s/Safeway grocery stores, apparently feel it is cute and funny to take items with Packer logos on them and throw them into a bear den to be mauled and destroyed. These items are items that both adults and children who happen to be packer fans would possess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdlK2Dabu8s&feature=player_embedded#!

In light of what just occurred in Arizona, just days ago, please tell me how this public display by the Brookfield Zoo of Chicago and Safeway grocery stores does anything other than perpetuate hate and violence between the fans of two teams. What reason does one give to their child as to why items common to their bedrooms where thrown to the bears to be violently destroyed?

There are many Packer fans who live in the Chicago-land area, many who visit and contribute to that particular zoo, many more packer fans who shop at Safeway grocery stores and even more people who may cheer for any NFL team who just know that this display is beyond sick and disturbing. I have also been lead to believe that the zoo receives federal funding, which means that Packer fans in Wisconsin (and all states for that matter) are funding this atrocious and offensive display.

I have requested that the zoo apologize for being so insensitive. I have requested that the zoo offer to refund donations from those whom they may have offended. I have asked Safeway to also apologize and separate themselves from this display and the zoo. I have brought the mis-use of NFL branding to the attention of the Green Bay Packers and the NFL.

I would suggest that until they correct this situation, that all Packer fans consider: Do you really want to do your Super Bowl grocery shopping at a store owned by Safeway.

Please contact the Brookfield Zoo : http://www.czs.org/CZS/pressroom

Please contact Dominicks/Safeway: http://www.dominicks.com/IFL/Grocery/Contact-Us

Please contact your local news and share this with your fellow packer friends and on other blogs.

I don’t mind the jokes, the good-natured ribbing and the harmless banter… but this is done in the poorest of taste and in the shadow of a national incident where we don’t need outlets inciting hate and violence.

See you in Dallas
GoPack!!!

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Well obviously they were just going for the meat stuffed inside of the objects. Regardless, very odd video, and even stranger that the zoo would allow it!

Are they throwing other things into the cage?

Its a meat filled football and cheese head, and thats the best they can do?? Poor widdle bears!

maxlives

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your comparison to the Tuscon shootings is a pretty long stretch. I think someone needs to lighten up and understand this rivalry. Classless? Yes. Tasteless? Sure. But that's precisely what we expect from Chicago fans. IluvGB said it best; "...thats the best they can do?? poor widdle bears!"

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Its not a big deal to me

If someone wants to complain their choice

but dont compare that to shootings

thats just asinine

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is just some of the stupid crap people that probably aren't real big fans do when there team is thrust into the spotlight. I see no connection what so ever between this nonsensical crap and the Tucson tragedy though.

OP
OP
C

Chicago Packer Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I am not saying that the display at the zoo is comparable to the shooting in AZ... I am saying it is comparable to the rhetoric that the media is reporting to have pushed the shooter to the tragic act.

The display is in VERY poor taste. It can easily be taken as an attempt to perpetuate violence and hatred...

In an era where your tax dollars cannot be spent on a Christmas tree... is it right that your public dollars are going toward this display?!?!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw some packer fans on tv last night stomping on some teddy bears outside lambeau. Not a big deal.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry man, but I think this is a severe and gross over-reaction on your part. I mean, writing the zoo and the grocery store and demanding an apology and refunds? Is this a joke?

First, there is NO comparison to the incident that happened in Arizona a couple weeks ago. None. This doesn't rate anywhere close to it, and your trying to paint the two incidents with the same brush makes me seriously question your judgement. I mean, do you think the zoo is sending a subliminal message that Bears fans should literally tear Packer fans into pieces? Gimee a friggin break!

Second, they're in Chicago and they got some real bears to tear cheesehead stuff apart. So what? It's a publicity stunt, and nothing more. Not like they threw a real person wearing a cheesehead into the pen.

Finally, this is no different than the guy who videotaped puppies wearing packer gear tearing stuffed bears apart. Really, it's harmless, and you're assessment of the situation is quite ridiculous.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I am not saying that the display at the zoo is comparable to the shooting in AZ... I am saying it is comparable to the rhetoric that the media is reporting to have pushed the shooter to the tragic act.

No, it's not.

The display is in VERY poor taste. It can easily be taken as an attempt to perpetuate violence and hatred...

No, it can't.

In an era where your tax dollars cannot be spent on a Christmas tree... is it right that your public dollars are going toward this display?!?!

What public dollars? You said Safeway sponsored it. Not sure where the public dollars come from.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Its a FOOTBALL GAME

That other stuff was life and death

Relax, have a few drinks and dont worry about what a zoo is doing

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am bothered more so that these innocent bears are in prison in the first place. (What did they do?) and that they are being used and exploited for entertainment like this.

I view Zoos as a necessary evil. Their appearance helps bring awareness to wildlife and the need for conservation and protection of some species. Without a place to admire and learn about them, we'd never know how to help protect them.

Plus, many zoos have a breeding/introduction program that helps replenish many of these animals in their natural habitats. The money taken in by the zoos often go towards aiding in these efforts.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw this video yesterday and was mildly amused. I just let it go, no biggie. Whatever. Get over it. These are Bear fans in Chicago for goodness sakes, they can do that. Favre wearing purple and playing for the queens was way worse than this!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Wonder

did the OP have this much outrage for the fake funerals they held for Brett??

He had family friends that seen that and I am sure they were upset and hurt..

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wonder

did the OP have this much outrage for the fake funerals they held for Brett??

He had family friends that seen that and I am sure they were upset and hurt..

Right. Or all the dogs that were destroying or, literally, pooping on Favre jersey's and memorabilia..

Yet no Favres were hurt in the making of that film.

OP
OP
C

Chicago Packer Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, it's not.

No, it can't.

What public dollars? You said Safeway sponsored it. Not sure where the public dollars come from.
1 - There are private dollars funding the exhibit, and public dollars funding the day to day operations...

2 - No one expected the shooting in AZ, heaven forbid a deranged fan of any sports team does something similar to a rival fan, an event like what the zoo displayed will most definitely be put under the microscope in hindsight and considered to have perpetuated the act.

3 - I don’t condone the other acts referenced here, regardless of the team the act endorses... much of what is referenced are acts of individuals performing stupid stunts - I guess I just have higher standards and expectations for organizations such as the Brookfield Zoo and Safeway.

4 - At what point is the line drawn, what if a morgue decided to film John Does in a rival's gear prior to their cremation.

5 - It is a crime to perform an act contributing to the events of civil unrest.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1 - There are private dollars funding the exhibit, and public dollars funding the day to day operations...

BFD. Seriously, this isn't a big deal. You want a waste of tax dollars? Go through the local budget. You'll find far worse wastes of tax payer dollars.

2 - No one expected the shooting in AZ, heaven forbid a deranged fan of any sports team does something similar to a rival fan, an event like what the zoo displayed will most definitely be put under the microscope in hindsight and considered to have perpetuated the act.

Seriously, they should require an IQ test for people who post to this forum. What, are we all supposed to live in plastic bubbles now?

That guy, the one who did the shooting last week? Yeah, he was off his rocker. He didn't shoot up the place because of some map on some political spokes hole's website. He shot the place up because he's friggin nuts. And anyone who would use this publicity stunt as grounds for commiting an act of violence will also be found to be equally disturbed.

3 - I don’t condone the other acts referenced here, regardless of the team the act endorses... much of what is referenced are acts of individuals performing stupid stunts - I guess I just have higher standards and expectations for organizations such as the Brookfield Zoo and Safeway.

Good for you. Must be nice, way up there on your perch.

4 - At what point is the line drawn, what if a morgue decided to film John Does in a rival's gear prior to their cremation.

Now that's just disgusting. But again, what of it? Is that somehow sending out the signal that rivals should start rioting and attacking other fans?

No. And if anyone took it as such, I guarantee it would be determined that they have a screw loose somewhere, much like the guy you keep trying to compare this stunt to.

I think your foil cheesehead needs a tune up.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What's the big deal? Rhetoric had NOTHING to do with what happened in Arizona, and this exercise at the zoo isn't going to "incite hatred" any more than that guy who cooks up bear steaks in the parking lot every time the Bears come to town. I'm so sick of the political correctness run amok crowd!

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Let me guess. You're the typical flaming Chicago liberal, aren't you?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm so sick of the political correctness run amok crowd!

And the "Sky is falling!" crowd.

I fly high power rockets as a hobby, and I can't tell you how many times some ****** hops on those forums and starts with the, "Oh knoes, I saw a video on youtube of some guy flying a rocket in a dangerous manner! We're doomed!!11!!111!!!!!1!"

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts