"Dislike" button?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can a Dislike button be added next to the Like choice? Just realized that folks tend to us Disagree when they don't like a post, and it's really confusing to some of us old guys - how in the world can you disagree with _____?

Another forum I frequent has virtually the same rating choices, with the exception that Dislike is an option.

Can do? Will do?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

We had a button once that said "Old". It caused so much trouble with people being offended, it was removed.

OP
OP
H

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. To disagree is to have a different opinion. To dislike is to feel distaste for or hostility toward. Hence, to disagree presupposes one has an opposing viewpoint that can be presented and discussed. To dislike requires no explanation - "I disapprove of what you say". However, I understand your desire to protect feelings, so if Dislike would cause whatever possibly offended people whose posts were labeled Old, no problem. Just thought it'd be an improvement.

Can't help myself, though. If Disagree is supposed to cover for Dislike, why is there both an Agree AND a Like button?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It does seem redundant to have both disagree and dislike, but you can agree with something, but not necessarily like the idea it presents. Eh, I guess it works both ways.

Just to be clear, disagree and dislike are the same but agree and like are different? I disagree with that assessment. I don't dislike that assessment just don't agree with it. In fact I have read many posts that I like but I disagree with.

It is funny though because on more than one occasion I've found myself asking "do I agree with this or do I like it" On another forum I frequent the only option they have is an applaud button

I don't get the "old" one though. Was it meant for people who keep bringing up the same thing over and over because if it was I can see where it would get overused. Or was it just meant to remind some people that they are old? You know, because they are so old they forget.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd do away with the whole rep system. In my experiences, rep systems tend to make a lot of folks shy away from participating on a forum and posting their opinions. Meaning less traffic then that website should be getting. It also means more lurking and less posting.

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd do away with the whole rep system. In my experiences, rep systems tend to make a lot of folks shy away from participating on a forum and posting their opinions. Meaning less traffic then that website should be getting. It also means more lurking and less posting.
I agree somewhat with what you are saying, but I think you need some kind of system for weeding out certain posts that are less than useful. IDK what the correct system is, but this one here I love. It has so many tags that it seems like you can get your message off with a quick click more than most other message boards. I for one love this system for evaluating a post, jmo.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As people have stated, we tried this, but got people really heated so we had to remove it.

But, I do agree with bringing quality content to the top, but just have to find a system that works well, is anonymous, and doesn't hurt feelings. Which is near impossible, lol.

But I am still doing some research with other forums to see how they handle the same thing.

Definitely a good suggestion though.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
As people have stated, we tried this, but got people really heated so we had to remove it.

But, I do agree with bringing quality content to the top, but just have to find a system that works well, is anonymous, and doesn't hurt feelings. Which is near impossible, lol.

But I am still doing some research with other forums to see how they handle the same thing.

Rob here's a buck. Give my next post a really high, top of the heap, rating. :D

I

Just to clarify what happened, and WHY we were upset......at the time, the "Old" rating was seen as a very negative rating, and there was a table which could be seen as the person who "got" the rating was seen as a troublemaker. Another member of the forum went through threads from the past, and rated nearly 100 of my threads, and another member who has since left, had nearly 200 purely because we disagreed with their opinion. THAT was why we objected so strongly. When you took the table away, I was fine with it, and changes were made in the rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Just to clarify what happened, and WHY we were upset......at the time, the "Old" rating was seen as a very negative rating, and there was a table which could be seen as the person who "got" the rating was seen as a troublemaker. Another member of the forum went through threads from the past, and rated nearly 100 of my threads, and another member who has since left, had nearly 200 purely because we disagreed with their opinion. THAT was why we objected so strongly. When you took the table away, I was fine with it, and changes were made in the rules.

Sheesh. That's kind of sad. I think my original "disagree"rating came from a person who didn't like the fact that I didn't have any disagree ratings. LOL

I

Sheesh. That's kind of sad. I think my original "disagree"rating came from a person who didn't like the fact that I didn't have any disagree ratings. LOL

Think of Glen Close and "Bunny boiler", that will give you an idea of what we were dealing with.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you look at the array of symbols, there are 8 that are positive (Like, Agree, Funny, Winner, Informative, Friendly, Useful, Creative), 1 that is either neutral or positive (Optimistic), and Dislike.

How about an Agree to Disagree button? :roflmao:

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
When you look at the array of symbols, there are 8 that are positive (Like, Agree, Funny, Winner, Informative, Friendly, Useful, Creative), 1 that is either neutral or positive (Optimistic), and Dislike.

How about an Agree to Disagree button? :roflmao:
I agree to disagree with you on his subject.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly! How will Vikings and Packers fans be able to look at the same world without an "Agree to Disagree" button?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yes. To disagree is to have a different opinion. To dislike is to feel distaste for or hostility toward. Hence, to disagree presupposes one has an opposing viewpoint that can be presented and discussed. To dislike requires no explanation - "I disapprove of what you say". However, I understand your desire to protect feelings, so if Dislike would cause whatever possibly offended people whose posts were labeled Old, no problem. Just thought it'd be an improvement.

Can't help myself, though. If Disagree is supposed to cover for Dislike, why is there both an Agree AND a Like button?

I agree with HE. Maybe a "thumbs down" icon would say you don't like a post and a red X would mean you disagree. However, I think if its possible.....a red X automatically pops up a Post Reply window, quoting what the person is disagreeing with and forcing them to write why.....or the red X disappears. Nothing like having someone disagree with you, but not telling you why.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I'd like to have a nuclear option at my disposal. Anything that rubs me the wrong way ... why ... I'd like to blast it from cyber space. Perhaps an icon of some guy clubbing a baby seal? Ok, I admit it...I don't get the importance of what someone thinks about a post of personal opinion on an internet forum? I'm old, thick skinned and all but, nothing I've EVER posted, ANYWHERE, that was disagreed with has kept me awake at night.

So then a "thumbs up" doesn't mean "Go sit on your thumb and rotate?" A thumbs up is a good thing? :whistling:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to have a nuclear option at my disposal. Anything that rubs me the wrong way ... why ... I'd like to blast it from cyber space. Perhaps an icon of some guy clubbing a baby seal? Ok, I admit it...I don't get the importance of what someone thinks about a post of personal opinion on an internet forum? I'm old, thick skinned and all but, nothing I've EVER posted, ANYWHERE, that was disagreed with has kept me awake at night.

So then a "thumbs up" doesn't mean "Go sit on your thumb and rotate?" A thumbs up is a good thing? :whistling:

That nuclear option would most certainly be an Illudium Q36 Explosive Space Modulator. Unfortunately that creature has stolen the Space Modulator.

Members online