1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion about other forums

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Wood Chipper, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,422
    I am on another forum which has quite a few members. About 25 percent are douchenozzles but its the only good forum for the subject matter. So i made a thread that apparently had been made before but mind you i had not seen the topic being discussed at all since august when i had joined. So i was given a 2 day ban for not using the search feature (which i tried using but could not find any topic relating to what i made) and "abusing the new thread button"

Ugh. I am so glad everyone on here is and acts like adults and our moderators don't abuse their power (it had been discussed on there how they abuse power).

Just wondering if anyone has run into this and if there is another logical solution besides just leaving the forum.

2. YoKramer

YoKramer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +29
    Im on an Off Topic board that is EXTREMELY relaxed and I guarantee I would be banned here for half the stuff that goes on there. That board was started because the original board most of us came from started becoming like what you described. But I agree of the football forums out there this is a very relaxed place that I think the moderation staff does a good job running.

3. Wood Chipper

Ratings:
    +1,422
    i agree. here i have never seen a thread moved/merged/closed that i have never disagreed with.
    i would half understand if this thread was moved or closed i just figured its something that other people have experienced.

4. PackCrazed4

PackCrazed4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +187
    Yes, there was/is a board called Official Brett Favre Fan Forum that has a slight reputation for being fascist that I was once a part of :p

But I'm also a member on another board for a TV show that I watch and the mods there are so damn anal. They don't necessarily ban for creating new topics, but they only allow topics created by the moderators themselves. Threads are basically categories, and any new subject that you bring up is to be tacked on to the said thread. So after 4 years, the threads are in the 900-1000 page range, which is ridiculous. I guess it does help to keep things organized, but I personally prefer searching for topics than scanning through hundreds of pages to see whether or not they've discussed something already.

5. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    Sorry its not really about the Packers is it :)

6. Incubes12

Incubes12 Bay Harbor Butcher?

Ratings:
    +317
    I'm a member of bears, lions, and bills forums. The bills forum is the worst, the people are so stupid over there. I haven't had any issues with moderation.

7. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    care to revel which forum it was?

8. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,483
    We try to be very relaxed...The only real thing I ma stuck on is not creating a new thread when one is made, just like your example..

Unless your doing it every day 3 or 4 times a day would that even be close to being banned for..Even then prob not a banning thing for me..

There are other forums out there that play favorites, while I see why that is, it still isnt right...Every one should be treated the same..

9. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    I try to look at it in a business perspective.
    Banning a member takes away a "customer".
    So, unless a member being active (troll) causes more members to leave, why ban him?

Like LT said, we take a light approach. We try to maintain order, which is the most important thing.

But yeah, this is the most "welcoming" forum I know... That's why I became a member, and that's why I applied for moderator back then...

10. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    To play devils advocate a bit here, it helps if people take a quick look first before starting a new thread. I dunno why we have to have 12 new threads to discuss running backs, or 6 threads talking about one player we should trade for. It gets annoying and it's helpful to the operators of this site if they could all be condensed. Plus it's just good netiquette.

I don't agree with banning some right away, but maybe a message asking repeat offenders to please look for subjects matching their topic first before starting a new one. Escalate it from there if it gets really annoying or something.

11. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,483

I have merged more then 3 running back threads in the last week...and trust me I was not to happy about it lol

12. Incubes12

Incubes12 Bay Harbor Butcher?

Ratings:
    +317
    Agreed, although I can't really talk because I always reinforce it by commenting. Oh well.

"Netiquette." I like that term.

13. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Yeah, I do the same thing so no worries.

14. IluvGB

IluvGB I <3 Packers!!!!

Ratings:
    +850
    I wasn't sure where to post this possible suggestion,..but since this is the most recent thread about this topic, I thought I'd throw this out there.

The other thread that asks "What would you like to see on here?"

Why couldn't they put up something on the "New thread" option that says something like...

Did you do a search to see if any thread was started? Or
    maybe does a search after they typed in the title to say..
    These 6 threads already have this topic going??
    Not even sure its possible, but something to think about.

15. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,442
    A simple thread search should reveal if the topic you are about to post is already being discussed but sometimes it doesn't always come up in the search. I don't think they should of banned you, I think if anything they should of issued you a warning via PM if they take it that seriously. If it's breaking news, such as Randy Moss getting released from the Vikings, always check to see if it's already been posted. Most of the time you can rest assured that news that big will already be posted. I've had it happen to me on less serious threads, it doesn't bother me, I've probably made the same mistake myself so I can't complain. The thing that puts my tail in a knot is when people post a topic in the wrong forum. I'm always paranoid about posting new topics because I want to make sure the forum I'm searching for preexisting topics is the correct forum the new topic should be posted in to begin with.

As for that board, it looks like that's just the way they run things. Some boards are very different, Packer Forum spoils us in a way because the mods/ admins here are so cool about everything. Should you choose to continue to post on that board, I'd watch everything you do. Boards like that will ban you permanently if they think you keep violating their rules. That 2 day banning was your warning. Unless you really feel passionate about that board, you may just want to consider leaving it altogether. There are plenty of other boards out there that will welcome you with open arms. It may not be worth putting up with their nonsense. I smell a load of BS in their somewhere anyway. Something is up with that.

16. Wood Chipper

Ratings:
    +1,422
    yeah i always make my thread title very clear about what it was related to

17. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    you guys say to look for other other similar threads, but if its too old but still relevant you "ask" why you commented on an old thread...

Also think if you edit someones thread you should send them a message. Like change their post and title of the thread.

18. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Really? I've not seen that happening, but I can see where that would be frustrating.

19. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    The only exception would be an old favre thread that hasnt been closed already, if there are any lol. I could comment on one from 2 years ago and it would add another 6 pages in the next 2 days lol. No point in that.

20. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,483
    FYI

Anytime anyone has a problem with a post hit the REPORT ICON

the triangle icon with the ! inside it above the "joined date"

It goes to all the mods and as soon as a mod is able to, it will be address

That goes for ANYTHING you dont like...a duplicate thread, double post, someone insulting others..

ANYTHING!

21. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    never knew, thank you.