DISCUSS 1st Round Pick: Justin Harrell, DT

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
right here ... and ill say it again wtffff a theirs greg olsen , nelson and way other **** top wr's and this is what we ****ing pick ... hope his a starter next year and starts impressing me or else...

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Justin Harrell
DT | (6'4", 300, 5.04) | TENNESSEE

Scouts Grade: 90

Strengths: Is tall with adequate bulk and even more room on his frame to get bigger. He caries his weight extremely well and is a fluid athlete for his size. Shows good initial quickness and the ability to disrupt the run consistently. Is able to change directions quickly and also shows some closing burst for such a big defender. He is big enough to hold his ground versus the run when he gets good positioning and stays low. He displays above average lower body strength to clog a gap versus the run. He can push the pocket and uses long arms to disrupt the vision of opposing quarterbacks. He showed impressive leadership and toughness with his willingness to play through a biceps tear during the Florida game as a senior in 2006.

Weaknesses: He has never been very productive as a pass rusher. He seems to lack awareness and instincts in that regard. He also needs to use his hands better in order to get off of blocks. He is stout versus the run but lacks explosive upper body strength to jar offensive linemen initially. Durability is a significant issue after partially torn biceps injury cost him the final 10 games of his senior season in 2006. He also missed time with leg and ankle injuries in 2003 and another ankle injury in 2004.

Overall: Harrell was redshirted in 2002. In 2003, he missed the first five games with a broken ankle and then appeared in the remaining eight games, registering 10 total tackles and one tackle for loss. Harrell underwent right leg surgery midway through spring practice in March, 2004. He returned in the fall, played in all 13 games, starting the first 11 before being removed from the Kentucky game (ankle injury) and then held out of the starting lineup for the final two games. Harrell finished that season with 26 total tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, 12 quarterback hurries, two forced fumbles, and two fumble recoveries. He started all 11 games in 2005 and recorded 39 total tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks, two forced fumbles, and two interceptions, returning one for a touchdown. Harrell played in and started just three games in 2006, finishing with seven total tackles and 1.5 tackles for loss. He ruptured a biceps tendon against Air Force (9/9) but played the following week against Florida before shutting it down for the season.

Harrell is an impressive athlete for his size and he also displays good natural strength. He has never been a great pass rusher and he's also coming off a partially torn biceps that forced him out for the final 10 games of his senior season. However, his rehab went extremely well and he's not expected to have any lingering affects from the injury. From what we saw of Harrell prior to the injury, he has the potential to develop into a very good two-down starter in the NFL. We think he's worth drafting late in the first or early in the second round of the 2007 draft.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
I thought Corey Williams was on the verge of becoming a solid DT to team with Pickett.

Surely there would have been teams that might have had an interest in trading with the Packers to pick Leon Hall, CB.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
I don't quite get this pick, if he was a Pass Rushing DT I could understand, because many a time our DEs got pressure but the DTs couldn't collapse the pocket.

But he seems more of a run stuffer, which I though was Pickett's job.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was the "can't miss" player. Ted Thompson is playing it safe here in the first round.

I was quite surprised when I heard it announced, but we could have a great DL with Harrell and Pickett in the middle.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought TT was bad by not signing anyone good earlier....now he is drafting like ****

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that this guy can be an impact player. That's what you have to look for in the first round. Harrell is more of a fill a need type player, but it's not even a major need for the Packers. Hall would have been a much better choice because I believe he was the best player on the board.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THE GUY WASNT PROJECTED AS A FIRST ROUNDER AND DIDNT EVEN PLAY HALF OF THE PAST SEASON AT TENNESSEE THIS PICK IS GARBAGE< THERE IS NO DOUBT IN MY MIND HE WOULD HAVE BEEN THERE AT 47

IM DISGUSTED<< AM I THE ONLY 1~~?????

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that this guy can be an impact player. That's what you have to look for in the first round. Harrell is more of a fill a need type player, but it's not even a major need for the Packers. Hall would have been a much better choice because I believe he was the best player on the board.

Well that's the thing, Harrel isn't a need pick; we have Pickett/Williams/Jolly/Cole. We had a solid rotation, with Williams emerging as a great DT.

TT must see something special in him.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought that was the point when Cullen Jenkins was elevated to starting DE.

Give Favre a weapon, TT! You haven't done that in your entire tenure as GM.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
THE GUY WASNT PROJECTED AS A FIRST ROUNDER AND DIDNT EVEN PLAY HALF OF THE PAST SEASON AT TENNESSEE THIS PICK IS GARBAGE< THERE IS NO DOUBT IN MY MIND HE WOULD HAVE BEEN THERE AT 47

IM DISGUSTED<< AM I THE ONLY 1~~?????

He was projected as a first rounder, but had injury concerns. Obviously TT thinks the injury concerns aren't serious, and he'll be ready to go in a month or so.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a bit of a reach. But, the WRs were iffy, Olsen has no speed and can't block at TE and Hall got toasted by everyone good he played (noteably Ginn). The Packers only have one true proven DT on the roster (Pickett) and he's been hurt. Their other starter would be Corey Williams who is more of a passing DT/normal DE. By putting Harrell there, GB now has a very good front 7 and some depth at DT.

GB still has feelers out for Moss, LJ and Turner. Plus, there's a ton of value at RB, WR, TE and safety in rounds 2-4. The DT pool in this draft was pretty shallow.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
I thought that was the point when Cullen Jenkins was elevated to starting DE.

Give Favre a weapon, TT! You haven't done that in your entire tenure as GM.

Jennings?

We still have two rounds left, and TT has picked up GREAT picks in the second round in his Packers era.

Two picks left today, don't give up hope my man!

Members online

Latest posts