Discouraging news on Lavar

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This quote is funny:
"Yesterday, Harden did not give any indication that Arrington's asking price will go down. "The team that gets LaVar is getting a three-time Pro Bowler," he said. "LaVar is looking for a fair-market deal.""

The market is telling LaVar that he's asking for too much money, yet he's looking for a fair market deal.

I've said all along that I've love to see Arrington come to GB, but it doesn't make sense to overpay for him. He's a good player, so pay him a handsome salary slightly above what other teams are offering. But don't sign him to an outragious deal that no one would even think about making.

OP
OP
H

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kind of agree with you Bobby. I think we can overpay a little, but only if it is front loaded so we don't kill our cap for future years. We have TONS of cap room, lets use some of it.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN just said they havent been close when it comes to money.

things could change though.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hoos said:
I kind of agree with you Bobby. I think we can overpay a little, but only if it is front loaded so we don't kill our cap for future years. We have TONS of cap room, lets use some of it.

thats what we did when we signed joe johnson, and we got burned...as much as i want lavar, i dont want us to financially cripple ourselves if his body quits one or two seasons into what will probably be at least a five year deal. I agree though, frontloaded is much better

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had a feeling he was going to be a Giant...

If so..the Giants may be going to the SB...very soon!

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
giants arent going to the superbowl ever

my superbowl picks are dallas versus miami

dallas beats gb in the nfc championship game:)

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:

yeah san fran wins the west, new orleans the south, detroit eeks out a wild card after an mvp performance from joey harrington

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
yeah san fran wins the west, new orleans the south, detroit eeks out a wild card after an mvp performance from joey harrington

Obviously you didnt read - Harrington is headed to Miami

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We wont get either Woodson nor Arrington....I would really LOVE to have someone showing me the offers that TT made to Woodson and/or Vinatieri offering them more $$$ that anyone else...

Sorry I dont believe it, TT wont offer anyone more money that anyother team, he is cheap and allways looking for diamonds in the rough...

Now he signed Bookman, with a nice record with domestic violence issues, just because he is FAST, well he cant catch but he is fast (by the way Dash Incredible will come to the 2018 draft keep your eyes open TT), that is nice I hope he signed him to be his office boy, at least we will have someone who is fast in the GM´s office of GB.

This is what we can expect from TT, also look for a trade I really believe that he is not that interested in Aj Hawk or Vernon Davis, he wnats more picks late 1st plus 2nds and 3rds where he can find cheaper players.

The question is would you rather have a player like Brett or 20 minimum wagers on your team???

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
those were some 'nice' generalizations. I dont even know what to say about that. lol.

your sources now tell you hes not interested in hawk? what makes you 'believe' that hes not interested in hawk?

it wouldnt be your personal hatred for him would it?

i havent seen anything either way about him being interested or disinterested. the only thing i can look at is who we have (Barnett,taylor). If he signed arrington, id think he wouldnt be interested in Hawk and id agree with you. but that hasnt happened.

wow.

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chamuko,

I'd love to have more guys like Brett. I also know that the draft isn't an exact science, evidenced by the fact the Brett lasted until the 2nd round. There are often solid reasons for trading down which have nothing to do with money. Here is the 1st 2 rounds of the draft in 1991 when Brett was drafted.

Draft History

1991 NFL Draft
Round 1 | Round 2 | Round 3 | Round 4 | Round 5 | Round 6 | Round 7 | Round 8 | Round 9 | Round 10 | Round 11 | Round 12

Round 1
Sel# Team Player Pos. School
1 Dallas Russell Maryland NT Miami
2 Cleveland Eric Turner S UCLA
3 Atlanta Bruce Pickens CB Nebraska
4 Denver Mike Croel OLB Nebraska
5 L.A. Rams Todd Lyght CB Notre Dame
6 Phoenix Eric Swann DT No College
7 Tampa Bay Charles McRae T Tennessee
8 Philadelphia Antone Davis T Tennessee
9 San Diego Stanley Richard DB Texas
10 Detroit Herman Moore WR Virginia
11 New England Pat Harlow T Southern California
12 Dallas Alvin Harper WR Tennessee
13 Atlanta Mike Pritchard WR Colorado
14 New England Leonard Russell RB Arizona State
15 Pittsburgh Huey Richardson OLB Florida
16 Seattle Dan McGwire QB San Diego State
17 Washington Bobby Wilson DT Michigan State
18 Cincinnati Alfred Williams OLB Colorado
19 Green Bay Vinnie Clark CB Ohio State
20 Dallas Kelvin Pritchett DT Mississippi
21 Kansas City Harvey Williams RB Louisiana State
22 Chicago Stan Thomas T Texas
23 Miami Randal Hill WR Miami
24 L.A. Raiders Todd Marinovich QB Southern California
25 San Francisco Ted Washington NT Louisville
26 Buffalo Henry Jones FS Illinois
27 N.Y. Giants Jarrod Bunch RB Michigan

Round 2
Sel# Team Player Pos. School
28 Houston Mike Dumas FS Indiana
29 Cleveland Ed King T Auburn
30 Denver Reggie Johnson TE Florida State
31 L.A. Rams Roman Phifer ILB UCLA
32 Phoenix Mike Jones DE North Carolina State
33 Atlanta Brett Favre QB Southern Mississippi
34 N.Y. Jets Browning Nagle QB Louisville
35 Green Bay Esera Tuaolo DE Oregon State
36 San Diego George Thornton DT Alabama
37 Dallas Dixon Edwards OLB Michigan State
38 Houston Darryll Lewis CB Arizona
39 San Diego Eric Bieniemy RB Colorado
40 Indianapolis Shane Curry DE Miami
41 New England Jerome Henderson DB Clemson
42 New Orleans Wesley Carroll WR Miami
43 L.A. Raiders Nick Bell RB Iowa
44 Houston John Flannery C Syracuse
45 San Francisco Ricky Watters RB Notre Dame
46 Pittsburgh Jeff Graham WR Ohio State
47 San Diego Eric Moten T Michigan State
48 Philadelphia Jesse Campbell DB North Carolina State
49 Chicago Chris Zorich DT Notre Dame
50 Kansas City Joe Valerio G Pennsylvania
51 Seattle Doug Thomas WR Clemson
52 Cincinnati Lamar Rogers DE Auburn
53 San Francisco John Johnson OLB Clemson
54 Buffalo Phil Hansen DE North Dakota State
55 N.Y. Giants Kanavis McGhee DE Colorado

Dan McGwire and Todd Marinovich were drafted ahead of Brett. Think the teams that drafted those guys are glad they didn't trade down?

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point is that TT seems to be acting with a vision that I just can’t share.

No hatred at all Trom, check my posts and you will see that some people called me TT lover a year ago, my disappointment began on how he handled the Guard, safety and LB issues last year, he brought a bunch of street FA´s the cheaper the better and we ended up loosing 2 good guards, keep the same safeties and LB corps.

Yes I am aware we could not afford both guards maybe we couldn’t even afford one but he didn’t even tried; I think it didn’t pan out.

It seems to me that he is trying to add cheap players to get depth and then begin to develop those guys and slowly, very slowly, if everything works out perfect have a competitive team in 3-4 years.

So he will be willing to trade #5, this means Hawk or Davis, for a high 1st plus a 2nd and a 3rd, I know we can find gold in a garbage can, but I think that Hawk is the safest pick in THE WHOLE DRAFT, maybe I am wrong, maybe I am not.

In my humble opinion you need to have depth BUT YOU CANNOT PASS ON BIG PLAYERS you need to keep a mixture of personnel, you also need to take risks and spend your money in difference makers, I would not get Woodson that is a real big risk at a big price not worth it IMHO, but I will try to sign Lavar,,, yes TT when the place is not a hot commodity you have to pay a little bit more $$$$ to get the good guy to come and play for you !!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
K sounds good.

But how do you know he didnt even try last year? We (myself included) dont know what what happens behind closed doors.

I dont think Lavar would be a good fit (ive always said that, and will, even if we do get him, ill still feel its not an ideal move by any means, but i would HOPE it worked out.)

Last year, like you said and i was gonna say, money was an issue (it was nonexistent, thanks sherm.) This year, its a lack of guards(in my opinion, our #1 priority). Its just rotten luck. TT is giong to have to do what hes 'supposedly' good at, draft some talent, and pick some talent up in june cuts, when teams try to avoid costly contract bonuses.

but for other positions, there is still a lot of time, and a lot of players (CBs especially, thank god.). It looks like TT\MM are looking to plug Taylor into an LB spot. Which means, without Lavar its Taylor\Barnett\Hawk. I assume hawk, because hes been called the 'safest' pick, and he will probably be there, and NOT mario(who i would love if we got too). And for the TT-bashers(not criticizers, they dont know what that word means), TT doing the 'safe' thing fits his style, right? Getting Hawk at 5 makes sense to me.

But we'll see in what..9 days? whoooo draft!!!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:

Let's see....that puts T.O. in the Super Bowl. Yea we couldn't use him!

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Packnic said:

Let's see....that puts T.O. in the Super Bowl. Yea we couldn't use him!

De Pack shut up and go wash your mouth with soap.... You said the T..... word.....

I got the same thought anyway..

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
C'mon TO is a Cancer, he Dallas's Problem now anyways.

TT blew it big last year, blame it all on the money if you like but with the money we spent on O'Dwyer,Thompson,Little,Freeman and resigning Martin we could have shored up at least one guard spot.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Giants | Team still wants Arrington to lower his price
Thu, 20 Apr 2006 18:17:17 -0700

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the New York Giants are waiting for free agent LB LaVar Arrington (Redskins) to lower his price before they make an effort to sign him.

Looks like LA is going to have to lower his price, TT still may take a shot at him if he wants him.

gado35

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT doesnt have to pay the price he asks. All he has to do is to make sure he beets the rest of the teams, which we have more than enough money to do. LaVar is good, and green bay has such a need at LB right now that i think we should get him and even pay up to what he is asking. he is a risk yes, but so was favre and we all know that someone like LaVar has what it takes. Keep negotiating but pay more than the other teams no matter what, unless it gets to ridiculous.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts