Diggs cut

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Green Bay Packers Thursday released linebacker Na'il Diggs and punter Ryan Dutton.

Diggs, a 6-foot-4, 240-pound veteran out of Ohio State, originally joined the Packers as their first of three selections in the fourth round of the 2000 NFL Draft. He played in 84 games, 80 as a starter, recording 541 tackles (390 solo).

Why would the Packers do this? Do they have a sufficient back up to take his place? No. They best be planning on signing a LB in the offseason.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chalk this one up to Thompson's youth movement. Diggs was a pretty good player for a few years there. Unfortunately, he had to play through injuries for the past two seasons, so he just isn't reliable anymore.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ayatoll ya so. Another 2.9 million or so under the cap.

What a difference a year makes!

However, if an agreement is signed before Monday it can be recinded.

subin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked Diggs, seemed to me like he enjoyed playing for the Packers, but there's just no way he deserved that kind of money. How many games did he miss last year?

BACKIN-PACKIN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A few months back some Packer fans (on another forum and before I came to this forum) were clamoring boisterously about the loss of Mike Whale and Marco Rivera. Regardless of what the price, some could not justify the losses. I felt at that time, and I still do, by the way, that TT had bigger and better plans in the making but the exorbitant cap created by Sherman would not permit him to make any moves. As a result, TT got blasted again by the same crowd. And that crowd wanted to stay with Sherman as their captain even though the ship was slowly sinking.

It only stands to reason, if you want to make ground shaking moves in todays' NFL, you better have some ground shaking money. Freeing up cap space like getting rid of Hunt, Diggs and others, opens up opportunities for better talent which TT seems to have a knack for in finding in the draft. This is not to say that he will not grab a few free agents if the price is right. So, Diggs' release is no surprise me; in fact, it may be the beginning of "opening new doors" in Green Bay, and the time to take a closer look at TT rather than prematurely blast him like so many others have done in the past without understanding his "hidden agenda." He will have to make his move soon, and now that he has the cap room, he will have no excuse for not vigorously seeking "fresh talent."

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i wish we had him from cheaper because i kind of liked diggs. not the best player but can get the job done if healthy. would of been good to have him and add a linebacker in free agency, but who knows might work out for the best

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BACKIN-PACKIN said:
A few months back some Packer fans (on another forum and before I came to this forum) were clamoring boisterously about the loss of Mike Whale and Marco Rivera. Regardless of what the price, some could not justify the losses. I felt at that time, and I still do, by the way, that TT had bigger and better plans in the making but the exorbitant cap created by Sherman would not permit him to make any moves. As a result, TT got blasted again by the same crowd. And that crowd wanted to stay with Sherman as their captain even though the ship was slowly sinking.

It only stands to reason, if you want to make ground shaking moves in todays' NFL, you better have some ground shaking money. Freeing up cap space like getting rid of Hunt, Diggs and others, opens up opportunities for better talent which TT seems to have a knack for in finding in the draft. This is not to say that he will not grab a few free agents if the price is right. So, Diggs' release is no surprise me; in fact, it may be the beginning of "opening new doors" in Green Bay, and the time to take a closer look at TT rather than prematurely blast him like so many others have done in the past without understanding his "hidden agenda." He will have to make his move soon, and now that he has the cap room, he will have no excuse for not vigorously seeking "fresh talent."

Well my friend you are not the only one that see things like that I couldnt have posted it better myself...

Yes TT had to clear a lot of crap in the kitchen before begin to cook anything I wasn´t a Sherman basher at all but I could not support him anymore as his decline, and the packers decline under his tenure, were so clear, And I also think that TT has done the right thing by clearing up cap space, it is now time to see the real TT at work, maybe that is also what Brett is waiting for... Lets hope for the best !!!!!!!!!!

BACKIN-PACKIN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chamuko said:
BACKIN-PACKIN said:

Well my friend you are not the only one that see things like that I couldnt have posted it better myself...

Yes TT had to clear a lot of crap in the kitchen before begin to cook anything I wasn´t a Sherman basher at all but I could not support him anymore as his decline, and the packers decline under his tenure, were so clear, And I also think that TT has done the right thing by clearing up cap space, it is now time to see the real TT at work, maybe that is also what Brett is waiting for... Lets hope for the best !!!!!!!!!!

Good example, the kitchen mess and all. How would you like to be responsibe for putting together a gourmet meal for a demanding crowd, only to find the kitchen, as you illustrated, a total mess, and not enough money in the till to purchase the groceries, and then have the guests accusing you of sitting on your butt and not knowing what to do? TT is an excellent chef, and I think the guests will be surprised when they see what he has on the menu. Hopefully, we're all in for a real treat!

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BACKIN-PACKIN said:
Good example, the kitchen mess and all. How would you like to be responsibe for putting together a gourmet meal for a demanding crowd, only to find the kitchen, as you illustrated, a total mess, and not enough money in the till to purchase the groceries, and then have the guests accusing you of sitting on your butt and not knowing what to do? TT is an excellent chef, and I think the guests will be surprised when they see what he has on the menu. Hopefully, we're all in for a real treat!

Nice. :D

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Chalk this one up to Thompson's youth movement. Diggs was a pretty good player for a few years there. Unfortunately, he had to play through injuries for the past two seasons, so he just isn't reliable anymore.

chalk it up to Diggs not being worth the money. solid player, standup guy, ill miss him, good luck...but not worth the big bucks.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was impressed somewhat by TT's first draft, the impact of which was lessened by injuries. He was definitely not dealing from a power chair in FA. This year it's different. Things look rosy. We may have to beat those damned Vikings to some of these FAs but it can be done. Monday is D-DAY.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Liked Diggs, but he clearly did not fit the system the defense is running. The LBs need to be able to run and go sideline to sideline. Diggs was not that type of player...he was a take you straight up and manhandle you kind of player.

He will have a job somewhere.

Members online

Latest posts