IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers running low on healthy backs

Fisher could be thrust into a prominent role
By BOB McGINN
[email protected]

Posted: Oct. 23, 2005

Minneapolis - The outlook could hardly be more bleak for the running attack of the Green Bay Packers.

One day after gaining 45 yards in 23 carries against the National Football League's lowest ranked rushing defense, the Packers will learn how long Ahman Green will be out. He suffered more damage to his right thigh tendon Sunday in a 23-20 loss to the Minnesota Vikings.

"He reinjured his quad tendon severely," coach Mike Sherman said. "We will evaluate that further when we get back."

Green went down ******* his right knee after being tackled by inside linebacker E.J. Henderson with about 8 minutes left. The Packers asked for a motorized vehicle to transport Green from the field.

Later, Green's knee was in a protective brace. Accompanied by fullback William Henderson, Green was barely able to lift his right leg as he walked slowly out of the Metrodome.

Green suffered the same injury Oct. 3 in Carolina, sat out the Oct. 9 game against New Orleans and returned to practice last Monday. He looked fast and explosive and appeared to be over the injury.

"It's about the same in terms of the way it happened," Green said. "In terms of pain, Carolina's worse."

Green carried 16 times for 49 yards, giving him 255 yards in 77 carries for a 3.31-yard average. His high-water marks this season were 58-yard outputs against Detroit and Tampa Bay. He hasn't surpassed 100 yards since Week 9 last season.

As a team, the Packers are averaging 72.3 yards per game on the ground and 3.06 per rush. The Vikings went into the game having allowed 161.4 yards per game and 5.01 yards per rush.

Sherman has said several times that if the Packers cannot rush effectively they cannot have an effective offense.

Without Green, the Packers have Tony Fisher and ReShard Lee at running back. Najeh Davenport, the top backup, suffered season-ending ankle and leg damage against the Saints.

"I think Fisher is a little bit of an underrated football player," general manager Ted Thompson said. "You can throw darts at him but he's a pretty good player."

Jeff Robinson, the Vikings' coordinator of pro personnel, is high on both Fisher and Lee.

"They've still got two pretty good ones, they really do," he said. "Fisher has stepped in many times. He can do a lot of positive things. Lee is a solid back. He's a top-notch returner and he's always very, very capable coming out of the backfield running routes."

The Packers entered the game one player below the 53-man roster limit but Thompson said they hadn't decided on whom to add even before injuries struck Sunday. They'll probably add a wide receiver early in the week and perhaps a running back.

Maybe the top available veteran would be Dorsey Levens, the former Pro Bowl back for the Packers from 1994-2001. Last year, he carried 94 times for 410 yards (4.4) and four touchdowns for Philadelphia and played in the Super Bowl. He has been out of football all year.

Levens would know the West Coast system like the back of his hand, probably could play Sunday in Cincinnati and always has been a terrific workout guy.

Other veteran backs who are available include James Jackson, who spent two weeks with Green Bay last November, former Bengal Brandon Bennett and Walt Williams, who was cut in early September by the Packers after spending portions of 2003 and '04 with them.

Fisher had a good game against New Orleans but has been more inconsistent in 2005 than in his first three seasons. This year, he has 14 carries for 20 yards (1.4) and 13 receptions for 85 yards (6.6).

"I might be No. 3 on the depth chart but I never felt like that and I don't play like one," Fisher said. "I'm confident in myself. I might not be starting but I get a lot of playing time.

"Ahman runs hard and is also effective in our passing game. With Najeh, everybody knew you better lower your pads because Najeh's coming. With me, you never know what you're going to get. You don't know if we'll run, pass or have me as a receiver."

Fisher carried 25 times for a career-best 96 yards against Minnesota in Week 13 of 2002, his only pro start.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
well then Thompson's a moron too..if he doesn't at least consider Levens..

what is his style..to completely dismantle a team show that he can say it is now in his image....

what an egomaniac..if that's what he's up to...

Favre should leave now...what's the point....with a jughead for a coach and a tight *** GM that's trying to prove a point?

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
what is his style..to completely dismantle a team show that he can say it is now in his image....

Favre should leave now...what's the point....with a jughead for a coach and a tight *** GM that's trying to prove a point?

hah.

thats a bit irrational don't you think? TT is unknowingly sabotaging the team because of his ego? to prove a point? where do you come up with stuff?

were you asleep when our salary cap woes were being discussed all offseason long? TT had to tighten the belt. don't bag on Sherman for his lack foresight as a GM and then bag on TT for embracing his. you can't have both ways...

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
well then Thompson's a moron too..if he doesn't at least consider Levens..

Would Levens still have the playing power in him? Maybe, maybe not. Where is he now?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Arrow...

He's got $5mil in the till right now...and the Packers need help YESTERDAY..!!

don't forget..Ron Wolf set the Pack up to win in 96' by signing VETERAN PLAYERS...

if this guy is a protege of Wolf..he should do the same...

He should sign Levens...

"give it to the Ol' Horse"...

"Don't plan for tomorrow by pissing all over today"
Old Polish folk saying...

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
that's an insult..he was gaining 5 yds per carry with eagles last year..

he's still got it in him..like oj anderson..with the Giants..

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
he's still got it in him..like oj anderson..with the Giants..

it would be something out of a movie if we sign levens...maybe freeman, brooks, don beebe, and turn '05 into '96

thats my post, nothing constructive obviously but...

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
TT is giving up on this year...

Probably has since day one...Sherman is probably "in on it" too...

(They really should have been straight with Brett if this is what they were going to do all along...it's not really fair to him...)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

(They really should have been straight with Brett if this is what they were going to do all along...it's not really fair to him...)

If you wanna play the 'in on it' bit, who's to say Brett isn't 'in on it' for a little padding of his stats?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
C'mon man..

How can any of you possibly criticize Brett Favre after what he has done for this team?

PAd his stats?

I think he would rather have a championship....He doesn't need to pad his stats...

Could you be a little more ungrateful..?

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

I totally disagree - on both men...

One thing for sure is... their affinity for the Green Bay Packers. Ted Thompson had always hoped to come back to Green Bay and he finally got his wish.

It doesn't do us much good, when you have a Coach who is taking the "safe road" at every turn, which always comes up short... But, they are not... "up to something".... not like you just put it.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
C'mon man..

How can any of you possibly criticize Brett Favre after what he has done for this team?

PAd his stats?

I think he would rather have a championship....He doesn't need to pad his stats...

Could you be a little more ungrateful..?

Then don't assume that about TT and MS

:)

Members online

Latest posts