Did we wiff on our 1st and 2nd round picks.....

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
This thead amuses me.

And I'm pretty sure Harrell was never ever named a starter (link it up, AADP).

He was named as a starter by so many media and draft pick experts after the Packers picked him.

That's ...not the same thing.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
tromadz said:
This thead amuses me.

He was named as a starter by so many media and draft pick experts after the Packers picked him.

That's ...not the same thing.

You are right Trom.

My post was about the media and so called experts.

The Packers never named him a starter. If anyone can show me where MM said he was the starter I shall be shocked becuase I never saw it and in fact did not want to see it.

I never would like to see a first round pick get a free pass going into camp.

My only point is... many experts in the media/slash/draft experts did call him a starter.

Reaction score
This thead amuses me.

By starter I meant listed as the #2 DT on the depth chart at the start of training camp. Thus if the season started then (which it didn't) he'd have been starting. McCarthy never came out and said "player X will be starting, no questions asked", but Harrell was listed as a starter before he'd even taken a snap in practice at the NFL level (he was brought along slowly during OTAs).

I don't think that'd bode well with Jolly or C. Williams, given that Harrell hadn't played in a while and still questions about how healthy he was.

I got some exam revision to do now, so I can't post the link to where it said Harrell was the #2 DT at the start of camp at this moment. I'll do it sometime tomorrow, near the evening if you still want it. :)

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
This thead amuses me.

By starter I meant listed as the #2 DT on the depth chart at the start of training camp.

the websites depth chart is unofficial in PRESEASON let alone TRAINING CAMP...

OP
OP
B

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This thead amuses me.

By starter I meant listed as the #2 DT on the depth chart at the start of training camp. Thus if the season started then (which it didn't) he'd have been starting. McCarthy never came out and said "player X will be starting, no questions asked", but the Harrell was listed as a starter before he'd even taken a snap in practice at the NFL level (he was brought along slowly during OTAs).

I don't think that'd bode well with Jolly or C. Williams, given that Harrell hadn't played in a while and still questions about how healthy he was.

I got some exam revision to do now, so I can't post the link to where it said Harrell was the #2 DT at the start of camp at this moment. I'll do it sometime tomorrow, near the evening. :)

Actually I can attest to Harrel being named a starter. The date was August 13 and the event was the Packer Share Holder meeting at Lambeau Field. They put the depth chart on the jumbotron and sure enough...... Justin Harrel was actually #1 on the DT depth chart. I will add that TT did present a speech during this and as Harrells name was on the jumbo tron he did say that this was a "projection" and nothing was finaized

Reaction score
Yeah I know the depth chart given out to reporters at TC was unofficial, but the larger point I'm making is that the other DTs wouldn't exactly have been jumping for joy having seen that.

The fact that you have another player at a position, vying for playing time increases the competition at one position. That isn't a bad thing at all (unless you have Ahmad Carroll and Joey Thomas as the players involved in that competition).

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
This thead amuses me.

By starter I meant listed as the #2 DT on the depth chart at the start of training camp. Thus if the season started then (which it didn't) he'd have been starting. McCarthy never came out and said "player X will be starting, no questions asked", but the Harrell was listed as a starter before he'd even taken a snap in practice at the NFL level (he was brought along slowly during OTAs).

I got some exam revision to do now, so I can't post the link to where it said Harrell was the #2 DT at the start of camp at this moment. I'll do it sometime tomorrow, near the evening. :)

Actually I can attest to Harrel being named a starter. The date was August 13 and the event was the Packer Share Holder meeting at Lambeau Field. They put the depth chart on the jumbotron and sure enough...... Justin Harrel was actually #1 on the DT depth chart. I will add that TT did present a speech during this and as Harrells name was on the jumbo tron he did say that this was a "projection" and nothing was finaized

He was listed as the starter on the first official depth chart put out by the coaches in TC. There was also a video on Packers.com with Corey Williams reaction to that.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back when we were needing several quality starters and had no backups to nearly anybody is when a rookie stood a chance to stand out. Now they are going to have to earn it or take over at a position experiencing multiple injuries(heaven forbid).

The better the team is the more likely the above will happen.

Like the "Tuna" says in that beer commercial. "That's a good thing, it's not a bad thing."

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Ronnie Brown was getting ripped for being a bust comming into this year and even early this year...

Now it is a huge loss to the Fins.. some players take a little time.. ever wonder why they sign a 4 to 5 year deal comming out? Transition to the game.. late year 2 to year 4 is about when you are for sure what you have.

Indeed B... I... N.... G.... OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As of right now, yes.

However, the real answer will come next year or the year after. Jackson did not play a great deal of ball at Nebraska and is young, Harrell was coming off an injury and basically 1 year of not playing football(He also plays one of the deepest positions on our current roster).

Since there can be no definative answer at this point, I will say that Harrell will be a very good player for a number of years and that Jackson may also have a nice career, but will not be a featured back.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
brandon jackson is garbage and harrel hasnt made a tackle yet

He's made 2 according to yahoo sports and nfl.com

but I won't let facts get in the way of your ranting.

btw, I agree with this:

johnny_blood wrote:
I'll let you know in a year or two.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
brennan1884 said:
brandon jackson is garbage and harrel hasnt made a tackle yet

He's made 2 according to yahoo sports and nfl.com

but I won't let facts get in the way of your ranting.

All this time i thought he hadnt been productive. Didnt realize he already made 2 tackles. My bad

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ha, you're a stat guy. If they dont have the stats, they suck and thats all there is to it.

I love guys like you. You make me giggle and feel smart.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it me or is this whole thread kinda ridculous. Let's start a new one to talk about the Cleveland Brown's wasted draft pick on Brady Quin. LOL
Ok But if you put it in here the mods are going to move it on you. :wink:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts