Did we wiff on our 1st and 2nd round picks.....

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems to me Brandon Jackson is primarily never going to start in this league.... I was out in Omaha Nebraska for business and the valet happend to be dating his cousin , he said people were shocked that he got drafted in the 2nd round becuase he really didnt do much at Nebraska.

To top that off we picked Harrel 16th overall with many other need position players available, and here we are almost half way throuh the season and we have zero production from him.

Not to mention we drafted Aaron Rouse in the 3rd, he has barely cracked the special teams unit.

Not a good year on the draft board for TT, we are winning so no one seems to care, but if we were under .500 it would be everywhere!

DarkaneRules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we were under 500 we'd get better picks in the draft I suppose. I think I am more inclined to believe free agency is where it's at.

OP
OP
B

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we were .500 last year so our picks represented that

ask any GM in the league how to build a franchise

especially Bill Polian in Indianapolis

YOU HAVE TO DRAFT WELL!!!!!

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, come on now. Another thread about draft picks and mgmt. mistakes. Are you trying to get me banned again brennan?

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why does every Packer taken in the 1st and 2nd rnds have to immediatly become a starter and then if he doesn't make the pro-bowl within a year they are deemed a bust.
Give these guys a chance to develope. There are usually 5-6 can't miss ready to start rookies drafted every year, The Packers were not drafting high enough last year to grab any of them, then there are usually 2 or 3 surprises taken in later rnds that turn out to be immediate starters.

The draft is for strengthening the depth of your team, if a team is lucky they get 1 or 2 guys who are ready to play coming out of college.

Now if you want to say B. Jackson has been a little dissapointing his FIRST 6 GAMES, that is a fair statement. But don't put the BUST label on any of these guys until the have played a year or two.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Jones - 3rd Rounder
DeShawn Wynn - 7th Rounder
Mason Crosby - 6th Rounder
Korey Hall - 6th Rounder

Those are four guys that are contributing. I think Harrell was a pick that was meant to be for the future and not this season. I think TT has almost said as much. He thinks with the future in mind when it comes to the draft. Aaron Rodgers pick taught us that. To call Harrell a bust after one season is premature. I certainly wouldn't of picked him but the Packers see something in him as Corey Williams is still unsigned. I actually read a lot of good things from Pro Football Weekly on Harrell. GB thinks he'll be right where Johnny Jolley is now at this time next year. If so then things are looking up.

Brandon Jackson is looking like a bust to me though. It's one thing to not be able to crack the lineup in a deep and stout rotation, it's another thing to sit the bench at the weakest position on the team.

Draft isn't going to be as good as last years but I think it could end up being decent.

In 05 we got 2 starters out of that class on defense and probably another at QB. Maybe even Colston at Guard.

In 06 we had top to bottom one of the better Draft Classes we've had in a long time. A.J. Hawk, Greg Jennings, Johnny Jolley, Daryn Colledge, Jason Spitz, and Tony Moll have all made impacts one way or another.

GB is drafting well that's for sure.

Best case scenario with 07 is probably something along the lines of the 2005 draft class. I don't know if 06 will be matched any time soon.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT & MM have stated that Harrell will be much improved next year. I'm not at all sure what this is based on. It is part of their jobs to talk up their players, I realize that. All I have is HOPE that he breaks out next year. That would make the Williams signing unnecessary. As far as Jackson, I see no big future for him. You can blame line play but he should have shown something at some time or other. I guess I'll never understand that pick. He kept his talents pretty much hidden while at Nebraska.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
after only half a season it is way too early to say that any of these guys are going to be failures (or successes) in the league.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
This isn't even worth reading, so I didn't, but I'm going to say this, give the rookies three years before we judge them.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a little letdown by Jackson, but the kid shows the promise of being an Ahman Green type of runner. He just needs more reps and needs to work on speed in the off-season. He's a step slow if you ask me, but he's faster than Wynn.

Reaction score
I am a little letdown by Jackson, but the kid shows the promise of being an Ahman Green type of runner. He just needs more reps and needs to work on speed in the off-season. He's a step slow if you ask me, but he's faster than Wynn.

I'd say he just needs time to adjust to the NFL. He is very young (21 if I'm not mistaken), so he has a little on the light side of experience.

Of all the picks, Jackson is the one I really like for some reason. So my holding out for him might be biased. Regardless, I think he just needs time to adjust to the NFL level, because I think he can excel in this system.

He has shown the ability to improve in areas where he needs to, with pass blocking being a prime example. He isn't the best in the world, but besides one play against the Eagles you could fault him for, in pre-season and regular season action B-Jack has seen, he's held out fine.

I look for him to prove he was worth a second round draft pick in a couple of years.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

I'd say he just needs time to adjust to the NFL. He is very young (21 if I'm not mistaken), so he has a little on the light side of experience.

Of all the picks, Jackson is the one I really like for some reason. So my holding out for him might be biased. Regardless, I think he just needs time to adjust to the NFL level, because I think he can excel in this system.

He has shown the ability to improve in areas where he needs to, with pass blocking being a prime example. He isn't the best in the world, but besides one play against the Eagles you could fault him for, in pre-season and regular season action B-Jack has seen, he's held out fine.

I look for him to prove he was worth a second round draft pick in a couple of years.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I was looking for positive input on him. I was one of the people scratching their head with as to why Thompson never bothered with Antonio Pittman, Michael Bush, or Kenny Irons. I even liked Selvin Young before Denver signed him late. Then there's Darius Walker--who nobody has given a chance to.

The pick I really liked was Aaron Rouse. I was hoping he'd jump out and be the strong safety alongside Nick Collins--but Atari Bigby is simply amazing. Maybe next season Rouse will challenge Collins--but both these guys are 2nd round picks who carry a lot of potential. I guess in a few years, our safety position will be a position of depth.

Reaction score
The thing I like about the picks is that they make competition intense.

Rouse should push both Collins and Bigby if he can convert most of his potential. That competition might just be what Collins needs to step his play up a notch.

B-Jack should push Wynn, Mo, and Grant. At the very least, pushing the people in our weakest position on the roster can't be seen as a bad thing.

Same with Harrell. He was named the starter, and I can't imagine that played well with Jolly and Williams. They responded, and are playing outstanding.

Ditto Jimbo Jones. He's got the body type for a slot receiver, but you have to think he will be pushing Jennings for more playing time. It'll cause Gregorious to step up his tempo and practice harder in practice, which should translate on the field. (as long as Greg doesn't make Jones head explode, lol )

I look as this draft as having increased competition at a lot of positions. One thing we know is that if a rookie gets a boat load of playing time (whether it be Wynn, Jones, Harrell, Rouse, B-Jack, Bishop, Barber), they truly earned that time.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Same with Harrell. He was named the starter, and I can't imagine that played well with Jolly and Williams. They responded, and are playing outstanding.

Harrell was named the starter? Did I miss something?

The only thing I have seen was when GB drafted him they said he would compete for a starting job but every player is competing for a starting job.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who knows wether or not we 'wiffed' on these picks. Frankly Harrell is playing well enough to unseat Cole right now. Yes, you expect more of your first round pick, but for a guy that didn't play nearly his whole senior season at UT I think he's progressing nicely. Also the coaches seem to be happy with his progress. Remember Jolly BARELY PLAYED his first year and is now a starter.

B-Jack has disapointed me about his immidiate impact, however that doesn't mean he's a bust. He has some good abilities. I think we need to give these guys some time.

Aaron Rouse filled in admirably when Collins went down in the Minny game. He has potential. He's a third round pick not expected to make an immediately large impact.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say it's still too early to tell, although I'm disappointed with B-Jack so far. I hope he picks up his game.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Harrell was named the starter? Did I miss something?

The only thing I have seen was when GB drafted him they said he would compete for a starting job but every player is competing for a starting job.

I think it was at the very beginning of training camp that they announced the projected starting lineup, and they had Harrell in there, which surprised some people, myself included. I thought he would have to fight his way up from the bottom. That turned out to be the case anyway, though, as it quickly became apparent that Harrell was nowhere near being ready to start. He is just now beginning to make strides.

I'm concerned about Brandon Jackson. He showed some flashes in the preseason, especially catching the ball out of the backfield, but mostly it's been slim pickings. I was expecting to see more out of him by now.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This thead amuses me.

And I'm pretty sure Harrell was never ever named a starter (link it up, AADP).

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This thead amuses me.

I don't know if Harrell was ever named a starter by McCarthy, but I know that at one point he was listed as a starter on the depth chart on Packers.com. I think it was right after the draft. It was probably some website nerds (like us) and not McCarthy that put him there.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
This thead amuses me.

I don't know if Harrell was ever named a starter by McCarthy, but I know that at one point he was listed as a starter on the depth chart on Packers.com. I think it was right after the draft. It was probably some website nerds (like us) and not McCarthy that put him there.

If anyone saw Harrell listed as a starter on the depth chart they did not see it on the Packer web site.
Every year in the spring the Packers will list the players that are currently on the team but they do not show a depth chart.
After the draft they do not even show the draftees as being members of the team until after they have signed their contract.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This thead amuses me.

He was named as a starter by so many media and draft pick experts after the Packers picked him.

The challenge is the draft experts tend to know about as much about the game as me and many other forum members here.

I still have confidence he will not be a Tod Marinovich like first round pick.

I hope he is a late bloomer and one of those guys that comes around very fast after a small adjustment to the speed and strength of the NFL.

Members online

Latest posts