Did the Giants game hurt Brett's legacy

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've wanted to write this for a while but it's taken me some time to be in the mood. I can handle some people being a bit critical or even wanteing Rodgers to get his shot, whatever everyone has their own opinion but what got me hot is reading a few articles the next week where some people said the game would hurt Favre's legacy and the way he's remembered. To this I say what a bunch of narrowminded garbage. One thing I have learned about sports though is how short a memory everyone has and everyone's rated on what they've done in the last year. I remember after the 4-12 season the writers were claiming how the season would tarnich what Favre's career was worth, and yet 2 seasons later it was all forgotten. My main way of proving my point is just like after that season or this last playoff game when someone says Brett tarnished his leagacy is I ask the person if they remember Marino's last game. Only with the exception of a few die hards no one does. It would sound ridculous if someone asked me what I thought of Marino and I'd say well he was awesome but since he threw 2 picks and got blown out by over 40 points in his last game I'll have to rate his career as just average. I hope somehow you understand my point. A legacy isn't a game it's a career and in 10 years just like Marino and Unitis the bad will be unknown and we'll only be left with the nmemories of greatness :D

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spoiled Madden TV babies...that's all.

Love it Fuzzy Man,

Cheers :packbeer:

Cdnfavrefan,

Don't worry, in ten years most of the same reporters and fans that can't see past that game now; will be praising how great his career and records were, as for the rest............well, some people you just can't help :wink:

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. lock this thread. we've talked about all the possible avenues this thread could go down. some may say those possibilities have been beaten, like a dead horse.

OP
OP
C

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry Bozz my point wasn't to rehash the whole thing about Brett's capabilities and all that worn out stuff but to actually take it somewhere seperate. My point was regardless of what you think of Brett now I'm bothered how the media always has such short term memories and we base how a player will be remembered by what he did lately when in years to come games like these are all forgotten

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I hope Favre plays one more year and we win the SB. Then this is all a non-issue.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry Bozz my point wasn't to rehash the whole thing about Brett's capabilities and all that worn out stuff but to actually take it somewhere seperate. My point was regardless of what you think of Brett now I'm bothered how the media always has such short term memories and we base how a player will be remembered by what he did lately when in years to come games like these are all forgotten

As we all know. One game is one game. Was it the Redskins game that Favre had a couple of short balls, and all of a sudden, he lost his arm strenght? Then, the next week, he put the dagger in Denver with a long TD in OT. He'll show the naysayers what's what.

c_mac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think that it took away from his legacy but it certainly would have added to it.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not one bit.
Dan Marino played all those years, was in ONE SB, which was his rookie season, and lost it. Yet he is remembered as a great QB.
There were about 28 teams that would have traded us for the season we had.
Now.....had we won and went to the SB, like was said already, it just would have added to his legacy. Remember, 2 season ago we were 4-12!
Now we were one big play from being in the SB! I'd say he ADDED to his legacy. Besides making all those all time marks this season.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe that game could take away from his legacy. As you stated...a legacy is based on his career and not 1 game. Every player has a bad game now and then.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Legacy:
anything handed down from the past, as from an ancestor or predecessor

1 game does not a career nor a legacy make.

As others have said it may enhance it. He seems to go down guns bazing in playoff games (StL/Atl)
He gives it all when it is win or go home.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now we were one big play from being in the SB! I'd say he ADDED to his legacy. Besides making all those all time marks this season.
I agree. What an awesome year it was. All the records he broke, the overtime bomb to Jennings, (right after Pete Dougherty, and others questioned his arm strength), the 20 consecutive completions against the Lions on Thanksgiving, the "Snow Bowl" Two HOME playoff games. Its not very often you get seasons like this one.

vegOmatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dan Marino wakes up drunk in the gutter every day because he never won a Superbowl.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Did the Giants game hurt Brett's legacy?

Did brutal loss at The First Battle Of Bull Run ruin Lincoln's Legacy?

:lol:

Love that historical reference.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts