1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Did MLF out coach Pete gum Carroll?

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers Fan Forum' started by longtimefan, Jan 13, 2020.

MLF out coach Pete?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2020.
  1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    75.8%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  1. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator Moderator

Packer Fan Since:
    Yes or no?

2. Do7

Do7 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Packer Fan Since:
    I feel like this is a trick question.

3. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator Moderator

Packer Fan Since:
    Not at all...saw a post game show and they made the comment MLF did out coach him.

Just asking

YOu are free not to vote

4. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I don't know, but I feel incredibly lucky not to have watched Pete chewing gum every sideline shot, but was able to see him pitch a fit on that 1st down replay. I thought GB played a pretty sound game overall, was nervous coming off the "bye" but they showed up. To me that says they were well coached.

5. gbgary

gbgary Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    the only coaching decision i think that was glaring was carroll deciding to punt with 3 minutes left. that potentially cost them the game because they weren't getting the ball back.
    i voted yes. the Packers did several unPackers-like things that impacted the game. his game plan was the difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. PackAttack12

PackAttack12 R-E-L-A-X

Packer Fan Since:
    So Rodgers didn't revolt against the game plan this time? Well that was very nice of him.

7. XPack

XPack Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Give him enough time and Pete Carroll will out-coach himself out of games!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Pugger

Pugger Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I could understand why Carroll decided to punt. It was 4th and long and their defense did stop us a few times in the second half. Pete did say in his post game presser that they were going to go for it until we sacked Russell. Didn't they also have 3 TOs?

9. gbgary

gbgary Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    yes. but wilson had torched them all 2nd half. it just kinda surprised me that he punted. i know the odds say to punt though.

10. PackAttack12

PackAttack12 R-E-L-A-X

Packer Fan Since:
    If Rodgers doesn't convert on a couple of great 3rd and longs, they get another opportunity. 4th and 11 after you just got sacked is a dicey proposition. It's always a tough decision to give that ball back to an all time great quarterback who has a reputation for being clutch, but it wouldn't have been a real high percentage decision to go for it there. IMO.

11. Dantés

Dantés Gute Loot

Packer Fan Since:
    Pete Carroll is a great NFL coach overall, but I think he's pretty terrible "in-game." He's conservative to a fault despite having a truly elite quarterback. I don't think it's hard to out coach him on Sundays.

12. gbgary

gbgary Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    yeah i get the percentages and those conversions were huge. it just kinda surprised me. the Packers have been good at closing when they have the ball last.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Packer Fan Since:
    Not to sound smug, but I think the fans at the game deserve a lot of credit too. Thus, having home field was truly 3+ points. Very few people sat down the entire game and if they did, it was briefly. You could see the defense was about drained in the 4th Q, having to chase Russell all night and I really believe it was the fans who helped keep the players adrenaline going. I can't say that it was the loudest sporting event I have been to, but the fan energy could be felt all over Lambeau and had that game been in Seattle, not so sure our defense makes those stops.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    There were less than 10 people in our entire section that may have sat briefly during non game play. I'd say almost every single person stood from start to finish. I may have lost my voice

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. 5x49er

5x49er Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Hell yes Laflower out coached Cheating Pete.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. melvin dangerr

melvin dangerr Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I’m just glad MLF was not like MM and was not afraid to go for it on4th down If he had to

17. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    What MLF is still missing is the halftime adjustments. For some coaches, that easier said than done. If MLF is one of those, I would suggest having multiple game plans drawn up for various scenarios so he can switch plans quickly. It's a lot to ask of a young head coach who barely has any experience as a playcaller as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. gbgary

gbgary Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    idk...i think as a whole he's done well with HT adjustments...at least for the O he has imo. several games this season he's scaled back the O at half time after it went into a ditch after the scripted plays ran out. sometimes it might not take effect until the halfway through the 3rd qtr but it eventually does. sometimes i wish he'd give pettine the evil eye when he's running the soft zone.

19. AKCheese

AKCheese Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Let’s be honest. Carroll and the Seahawks OWNED us in the second half. We got the benefit of a probably overly generous spot at the end without enough evidence to CLEARLY overturn it. I hate Pete Carroll but he’s a great coach and MLF has a long way to go.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  20. swhitset

swhitset Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Didn’t you say “let’s be honest” ??

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. Pugger

Pugger Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    The only reason it appeared they owned us is because of Wilson and his improvisational abilities out there. Once they abandoned the run and let Wilson run wild he wore out the defense - like he does to everybody else. But we got the stops on Wilson when we needed to and got enough plays on offense to close out the game.

22. Sky King

Sky King 158.3

Packer Fan Since:
    Wilson is a huge handful and he deserves his due. But the Packers did a little more as a team when it mattered most and hung on by the skin of their teeth. Come to think of it, that' pretty much describes many of their wins this season.

23. gonzozab

gonzozab Cheesehead

Pete Carroll outcoached himself. In the week leading up to the game he mentioned he was going to get Lynch involved in the game plan more. Right then I knew we were going to win. Nothing like taking the ball out of Wilson's hands to try and win games. Lynch and Homer rushed for an average of 2.6 yards per carry, and the only reason the game got as close as it did is because Wilson made play after play in the second half. Without Wilson, the Seahawks are a 4 or 5 win team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Packer Fan Since:
    Sounds like the way people use to describe the Packers and Rodgers. ;)

Now despite Rodgers playing so poorly all season (tongue in cheek), the Packers are 14-3 and still in the Lombardi Hunt.

25. Heyjoe4

Heyjoe4 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I’m not sure MLF out-coached Petey on Sunday. Actually, I thought Carroll got the most out of a very banged up squad. And I’m no fan of Carroll, but damn, through a lot of changes from the Legion of Boom days, his teams always manage to stay relevant throughout the season, and the wins against them are always earned. All that said, I’ll take MLF over Carroll any day.