did Favre quit on the team in 2005?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More from Dr. Z:

Favre's techniques have been allowed to deteriorate to the point that on some of his interceptions ... well, it looked like he just didn't give a damn. It was as if no coach had the guts to criticize an idol. Or even try to correct him. What's wrong with yanking a guy after a disastrous play and sitting him down for a series or two?

"Brett told me," said one of Favre's NFL buddies last year, "that it just seemed like the team didn't know how to figure out a way to stop the losing. It took the heart out of him. He said there were times he felt like he just didn't care out there."

If I were a Packers fan, or even one of the hometown writers who likes to rip outsiders, that would worry me more than anything, not what some guy was writing a thousand miles away.
--------------------------------------------------
If thats true, then....that really sucks.

But this guy went out of his way to not name names,etc, so hes probably full of it...I hope.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey......when you are on a sinking boat, with only a teaspoon to try to bail it out, you'd get frustrated too i'm sure. Who wouldn't???
If you are giving all you have, and your still getting your brains beat in, i don't care HOW good you are, you will get frustrated and say those kinds of things. He HAD to come off the field some time saying, "Dang, what do i have to do to get this team going?" and the truth is, it takes the WHOLE team in order to win. Dan Marino was a GREAT QB. He never won a SB though. It takes the WHOLE team, not JUST one man giving it's all.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, SAYING you quit on the team might just be what he said out of frustration. I try to look at how i would feel in that situation. I can understand it. Doesn't mean i LIKE it, but geez, the man is only HUMAN!
So what if he did? In 15 years, he got frustrated and gave up for awhile. Like i said, he's ONLY HUMAN. I for one am willing to cut him some slack, and see how he is this year. If it looks like he's ******* it, then worry about it. It's old news now, so what does it matter for the coming season? You think he's the first to get frustrated and give up? I'm sure he's not. But he is honest enough to admit he felt that way last year. Thats probably why he took so long to decide if he wanted to come back or not. But he's here now, and i think he wants to win. So last year is over, we can leave it there.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
c'mon trom, you know what cheesey is talking about. i for one agree 100% with cheesey. getting frustrated and giving up IS different, but i don't think brett has the capability to give up even if sometimes he felt like he wanted to, or that at times he felt like he had nothing more to give, yet the team still lost. i think the comments brett made were more about the situation around him and less about his actions. sure, he was reckless for a lot of the time last year, but he is one of the best quarterbacks of all time, if not one of the best players of all time. he did things (and continues to do things) his own way, in ways that no other player could do. a by-product of this, i'm sure, is that he is so stubborn that you couldn't possibly tell him to do something another way. is he uncoachable? maybe. so, whatever he said about giving up, or wanting to give up... he gives more of himself to the game than anybody. ever heard the term, "leave it all on the field"? do you know of anyone who sticks by this maxim more steadfastly than Favre? i don't. so, because of that, i think those things were said out of frustration at not being able to save a sinking ship. now bring on all the comments about me kissing favre's ***, and whatnot.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a stupid argument. If Brettwanted to QUIT he could have walked off the field or not shown up.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
This is a stupid argument. If Brettwanted to QUIT he could have walked off the field or not shown up.

or he could have creatively stayed this year and got more money, finishing his contract. Im not saying hes doing it for that reason, but its not as cut and dry as you think it is. For someone who preaches creativity, you should be more open minded about these things.

I still think Dr. Z. is a Dr. at Assotomy (thats a word)

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought we heard enough of this crap last year. No way he quite on that team. I still think his head was all messed up, and dont forget that the mind is connected to the body and the way someone preforms. I am sure he was frustrated, like anyone with half a brain would be.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My hope is that THIS year Favre has TWO capable WRs to throw to(Driver and Jennings) plus if the TEs are used more(as hinted) he'll have those options too. It probably looks more promising to him also. Hell, I'll keep coming up with possibilities until I get one right.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think he quit on the team, but I do think he had started to get tired of playing and thats where his ideas of retirement brought up.

Packula

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Check the stats.

There wasn't one squad on that team that truly played top 15 ball last year. Most didn't play top 20.

And every time the team fell behind, Sherman put his hands to his side and looked quizzically at Brett, waiting for him to win the game.

Last year was the flop. This year is the river. Let's see where it goes before we buy what Dr. Z is selling (and we're reading, therefore he did his job, eh?)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
c'mon trom, you know what cheesey is talking about. i for one agree 100% with cheesey. getting frustrated and giving up IS different, but i don't think brett has the capability to give up even if sometimes he felt like he wanted to, or that at times he felt like he had nothing more to give, yet the team still lost. i think the comments brett made were more about the situation around him and less about his actions. sure, he was reckless for a lot of the time last year, but he is one of the best quarterbacks of all time, if not one of the best players of all time. he did things (and continues to do things) his own way, in ways that no other player could do. a by-product of this, i'm sure, is that he is so stubborn that you couldn't possibly tell him to do something another way. is he uncoachable? maybe. so, whatever he said about giving up, or wanting to give up... he gives more of himself to the game than anybody. ever heard the term, "leave it all on the field"? do you know of anyone who sticks by this maxim more steadfastly than Favre? i don't. so, because of that, i think those things were said out of frustration at not being able to save a sinking ship. now bring on all the comments about me kissing favre's ***, and whatnot.
Thank you Bozz..........i'm glad my point was made to SOMEONE at least! I think Trommykins is making a mountain out of a molehill myself.
If Favre was only playing this year for the money, would he have SAID that at times he gave up last year? I don't think so. The guy is NOT stupid.
Favre has a track record of giving his all. He's not a rookie, who's mouthing off. He is consistant.......he speaks his mind. Which sometimes gets him in trouble. A guy that has done what he has for Packer fans for 15 years in MY view should get the benefit of the doubt. He has walked the walk, and earned it.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
He has walked the walk, and earned it.

earned the right to quit on his team? no, nobody has. Not randy moss, not d'brickashaw ferguson, not favre.

with that said, i dont believe the dr. z guy, but its something that I(if i were a scumbag journalist) would look in to.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i vote no more posts of this dr. z "journalist" jaggoff until the season starts. do i hear a 2nd??

any idiot can throw out theories, make up quotes, & tweak any type of inside information to make up a story. by posting his crap on here, you're just giving credence to his type of journalism.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Hey......when you are on a sinking boat, with only a teaspoon to try to bail it out, you'd get frustrated too i'm sure. Who wouldn't???
If you are giving all you have, and your still getting your brains beat in, i don't care HOW good you are, you will get frustrated and say those kinds of things. He HAD to come off the field some time saying, "Dang, what do i have to do to get this team going?" and the truth is, it takes the WHOLE team in order to win. Dan Marino was a GREAT QB. He never won a SB though. It takes the WHOLE team, not JUST one man giving it's all.

I agree with Cheesy!!! What is a QB to do when you feel like you are the only one on the team that wants to win. Yes he through lots of interceptions last year, but like cheesy said, he wanted to get things going. If he was so frustrated last year, why come back this year? We always have a chance when Brett is throwing the ball, and hes always exciting to watch.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I predict that brett will have a very exceptional season with very good amount of yards with an intercption here and there (hopefully not as much as last year) , but overall very good. He has three very good halfback and one good Fullback to take the pressure off of him. I dont care what any of the Football "Experts" say I think the packers have a good team right here.

Packula

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favre's first 300 yard game without an interception, and watch of these "experts" jump back on his bandwagon and start kissing his *** again.

Like a willow in the wind....

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My reaction to Dr Z?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Anyone who watched Brett play last season saw a player trying to do too much, not too little. The only thing sillier than Dr ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ spewing his BS is a reasonably informed Packer fan like Trom not only eating it but going back for seconds.

Brett does not know how to quit -- he did not quit in St. Louis, and he did not quit last season, depite the fact that most lesser men would have. He risked life and limb trying to make plays and certainly played with a "stats be damned" attitude in trying to win games for his team.PERIOD

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe that there is any part of Brett Favre that would allow him to quit on his team. I don't believe that for even a moment. Here is what I do believe; I think he must be really frustrated with the lack of talent that surrounds him. I mean two years ago he had this great line in front of him and with that line they would still be winning. They let the two best guards go and didn't replace them with quality linemen. He may be frustrated, but I doubt he quit.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This NFL is the highest level in the sport of football. there are 1,800 players in the NFL and that means there are 1,800 players who were last cuts, who came that close to their life long dream but just missed.

When Randy Moss takes a play off and does not run his route to the best of his ability it makes me sick. That is quiting!

I agree with Bruce's post.

Brett may give up on a check off, he may give up on a player who has dropped three balls, but he never gives up on winning.

He is not the same Brett he was two years ago that is clear. But it is not that he has given up.

I am on my way down to Quest Field this afternoon... and will be at the game tonight when the Seahawks' raise their first and only "N.F.C. Championship" banner before the game against the Cowboys.

You know what is really funny they are raising the banner twice. They will raise the banner in tonights game.

Then they will take it down and raise it again at the home opener against the Arizona?

Two celebrations? Two Banner Raisings?

That is silly! God they must be starved for glory!

Just be glad we had/have Brett and be glad the Packers do not need to raise every Championship banner twice.

IndiPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dr. Z isn't the only one out there crapping on Favre. Writers and sports radio hosts know they'll get a reaction from their audience, so it's a win-win for them. They stir it up, get strong responses and feel like they've got it goin' on as savvy media people, while if Favre does go on to play poorly this year they'll feel further like vindicated prophets, clearly smarter than mere mortals like ourselves. Every human being on earth with even a grain of passion in them is going to let fly with a few verbal negatives if directly involved in a prolonged losing situation such as GB endured last year, so it wouldn't surprise me if Brett did say things like the unnamed source claims, but that doesn't define the guy or mean he still didn't try his best to win every game he played in. Ultimately it's a moot point. Z (sounds like an Austin Powers character, the abominable Dr. Z) isn't gonna retract or modify his statements and Farvre probably doesn't give a deuce what Z thinks in the first place. Personally, I hope Favre has a great comeback year and parks a trademark fastball in Z's chops at the end of it.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ther have been MANY good points brought up since i last posted. They helped to define what i meant all along.
Like the Moss example........breaking off a route, not running full speed, THATS "giving up"......Favre getting frustrated is NOT the same.
Trom, you back this guy with one breathe, then say you don't believe him.
Which is it? I look at what I saw on the field last year, and as Bruce said, Favre tried to do too much. One guy can't win the games himself. He NEEDS help.
If you have ever played in any sport, you know there are times when you throw your hands up and say "I give up!" You say it, but if you are competitive you kep trying anyway. There WERE a few plays that i thought Favre "gave up" on, like tossing the ball when he was past the line of scrimmage when he might have been able to run for a first down. I didn't like that play at all. Like i said, i think thats why he took so long to decide what to do about this year. I FULLY believe he will leave it all out on the field once again this year, as he did in the past. His Dad would have kicked him in the you know what if he had seen that play.
Anyway, i take ALL these so called "journalists" with a grain of salt. ANYTHING they write is to stir things up anyway. If they turn out to be right in the end, they pound their chests and go SEE!?? I was RIGHT!!!
But when they are wrong, which is most of the time, you never here from them about their ramblings.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Trom, you back this guy with one breathe, then say you don't believe him.
Which is it?

Ok i can see people are getting defensive.

I dont believe the dr. z guy. - fact

He is making bold statements. - fact

saying such crazy things, he HAS to be telling the truth, or he will he buried. -fa....opinion

thats whats bugging me. He is saying the King among men has done the unthinkable....and nobody seems to care enough to do more research on it (journalists that is, not us). Its like..."hello! theres possibly a story there!"

either Favre quit, which is a huge story
or
Dr Z is made to look foolish, which is good. :)

Members online

Latest posts