Did any players suprise you in 2007

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
at the beginning of the 2007 season I really hated the Packers GM. Some of the players that really stepped up there game in my book were

GJ-he has become a great offensive weapon. last year he looked lost, now he looks like an all-pro. I really hope the Packers can use the big five WR corp to go all the way to the Super Bowl, and get all 5 guys in Packer uni's next season.

MM, he really seems to know how to manage a game and make adjustments to be successful.

I predicted a 9-7 season, I thought the defense and Brett would get us 9 wins.

The offense and the execution of the west coast short passing attack coupled with the emergence of Ryan Grant, to me is what put the Packers to the top tier of teams in the NFL.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Donald Lee - really stepped up and was a key guy in the middle
Aaron Rodgers - great performance v. Dallas
Barnett - I'd never been a big fan of 56, but he stepped up this year
Ryan Grant - obvious reasons

Negative...

Bubba - seems to keep getting slower and less productive
Hawk - still seems very average to me...maybe just the nature of playing OLB

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Donald Lee - really stepped up and was a key guy in the middle
Aaron Rodgers - great performance v. Dallas
Barnett - I'd never been a big fan of 56, but he stepped up this year
Ryan Grant - obvious reasons

Negative...

Bubba - seems to keep getting slower and less productive

no doubt Donald Lee was a big surprise, he really became a threat over the middle of the field, and now with bubba health, we may start to see the dbl te set in the playoffs

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Donald Lee took over the spot I thought Bubba was locked in..

Ryan Grant

Mason Crosby, seems he took lot of heat but he is the LEADING scorer for 2007 in the NFL and 1st rookie since Kevin Butler to do so..

I sort of agree with Hawks play, but like you I wonder if the Packers are using him that way?

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Craig Nall, I never thought I would see him in Green Bay again Much less see him close out our 13th win in 2007.

i think TT may draft a QB in 2008, maybe on day 2 to play behind brett & a-rod

axelred13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:
Craig Nall, I never thought I would see him in Green Bay again Much less see him close out our 13th win in 2007.

Maybe ahead of Arod. He plays one game each in two years and is out.

Don't get me wrong, he looked as good as I've seen him in the Dallas game, but with that track record, it doesn't look good.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arods injuries aint nothing compared to the injury histories of Harell and Blackmon.
It's the potential that intriguing and will keep him slated to be Brett's successor.

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arods injuries aint nothing compared to the injury histories of Harell and Blackmon.
It's the potential that intriguing and will keep him slated to be Brett's successor.

i am still perplexed by the harrell selection, i was hoping for Olsen

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
yooperfan said:

Maybe ahead of Arod. He plays one game each in two years and is out.

Don't get me wrong, he looked as good as I've seen him in the Dallas game, but with that track record, it doesn't look good.

some competition at the QB position maybe just what the doctor ordered to toughen a-rod up a little

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
One of those injuries to Rodgers, a guy stepped on his freaking foot and he STILL played...

Then he had a pulled hammy, to me that doesnt= soft, or injury prone..

packfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan Pickett- was solid last year, even better this year. Key to our run defense. We saw what happened when he was out against Chicago.

Ruvell Martin- Proven he can make plays when he gets the ball. Should keep improving over time.

Koren Robinson- Didn't expect him to contribute as fast as he has, especially since he was out of football for so long. Has been a great addition to not only our return game, but in our 4 or 5 WR sets.

CaptainItchy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan GRANT - heck yeah!!! I just love the way he CUTS horizontally then boom...vertical... WOW...

GJ - Again...I love him...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as AJ...remember Coach MC said that when you don't hear much about a player...meaning he's not doing anything BAD...So, I take that as positive.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GJ-he has become a great offensive weapon. last year he looked lost, now he looks like an all-pro. I really hope the Packers can use the big five WR corp to go all the way to the Super Bowl, and get all 5 guys in Packer uni's next season.

Did Jennings really look lost last year? I dont think he did he came in and right away stunned everybody even Favre thought he was a veteran with the way he ran routes. He may have made a mistake here or there but I dont think he was lost he was just nagged by his ankle that he hurt after he started out red hot.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
About Hawk, he plays a lot in coverage and football outsiders has him as the best coverage OLB in the league. Its hard as fans to see that watching on TV since we can't see what is going on down field with the terrible camera angles. Why don't they zoom out a bit for the love of Pete so we can actually see WRs, TEs, and defenders in action?

Beside the ones mentioned, Jolly was a huge surprise out of nowhere. I thought Coston was done in the NFL, but he was the starter whenever he was healthy after a few games into the season. I always liked Lee, but he had a better season than I thought he was capable of. In the past, he did everything he did this year, but didn't get thrown to very often because he dropped too many passes.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones didn't have a great year but I was surprised he did as much as he did. In camp I actually thought from the rookies Clowney might be the one to help out. Our WR as a whole surprised me as I thought this may be our teams weakness

Reaction score
CB Jarret Bush - there were times where he did a great job in coverage. Yes he struggled at times, but the improvement he made from his rookie season to his second season was outstanding.

CB Tramon Williams - he did well on ST as a returner, but he also showed something in coverage. Great find.

S Aaron Rouse - I thought he could contend for a starting spot next season, but he showed his play making ability when called upon. Great in coverage, great instincts, and as few have mentioned on these forums, Rouse just seems to be around the ball.

FB John Kuhn and Korey Hall - One was a no-name, and the other was a rookie that converted to FB. Both got better as the season wore on, and both had some tremendous blocks in the second half of the season. It looks like we are set at the FB position with two reliable players.

WR James Jones - He was asked to start right away in place of the Gregorious one, and Jones responded well. In his two starts in Weeks 1 and 2, Jones had a combined 8 catches for 104 yards. Solid production, especially from a rookie. He really does catch almost everything thrown his way.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I forgot about Kuhn and Hall. They both were great finds, who had very solid seasons.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favre--Not the biggest surprise, but by far the most important one. I thought his accuracy, decision-making, and desire to play the game were all in decline. Coming into the season, he made comments suggesting that he lacked confidence in his teammates on the offense. But then he went out and played great almost every week, and the team rallied around him.

Donald Lee--I thought he was given the starting TE job by default. Maybe he was. But he showed a knack for getting open and breaking tackles.

Johnny Jolly--Until this season, I thought he was just a guy with a funny name. But he was solid against the run and knocked down a bunch of passes.

Atari Bigby--He was great for the first 6-8 games, then got exposed in coverage many times in the second half of the season. But he's an aggressive player who has a nose for the ball. A huge upgrade over Marquand Manuel (not to mention Mark Roman, Antuan Edwards, Marques Anderson, etc.).

James Jones--Another player who started great and tailed off in the second half of the season. It was still a very good season for an unknown rookie, though.

Koren Robinson--He's been more of a factor than I expected him to be this season, and I think his best is yet to come--maybe as soon as the playoffs this month.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was surprised that the O-line was able to pull it together like they have over the course of the year. I was also surprised that Cullen Jenkins hasn't made more noise this season. Don't get me wrong, he's been solid, but I expected a pro bowl season out of him.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
aytumious - i think you raise a good point about Hawk. As I said, maybe it's the nature of the position, which in his case involves more coverage, so if you don't notice him, that's actually a good thing.

Greg - well said about Favre. I too was discouraged about his devotion to and confidence in this team. I'm eating crow now.

packattack86

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ruvell - Great 5th wideout, would probably be a 3 somewhere else

Poppinga - Not the most talented, but loved his heart and dedication to giving every play 100%. This is what we thought of Kampman a few years ago.

Grant

Favre - Maybe some people believed, but I certainly didn't see this caliber of play coming at his age.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
One of those injuries to Rodgers, a guy stepped on his freaking foot and he STILL played...

Then he had a pulled hammy, to me that doesnt= soft, or injury prone..

Yep, he played a half of football with a broken bone in his foot. TOUGH.
He pulled a hammy in practice, it happens.

It's fun to make fun of Rodgers like he's glass, but I think if he's in there non stop he'd be much more reliable to show up the following week.

Members online

Latest posts