Dez Bryant signed by the Saints

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FWIW, Bryant's career stats:

http://www.nfl.com/player/dezbryant/497278/careerstats

3 nice season from 2012 through 2014, but nothing that screams Canton-bound......

I don't think anyone is talking about Dez being a HoF WR, although he will go down in the Cowboys HoF. But you are talking a switch between Romo heavy seasons to 2015 where Romo and Dez spent little time in the lineup together and then Dak came in. Dak doesn't really throw a great ball and that was masked a lot in his rookie season when they could rely on Elliot. But not this last season. I really don't find the last 3 seasons indicative of any trend. Throw him on the Patriots, Saints, or Packers and he would be right back on track for 1000+ yards and 10+ tds. Unfortunately he might end up on the Giants and I am not sure Eli has the stuff anymore to put together a 4000+ yd, 30+ td season.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He wasn't "tearing it up" and this pretty much sums up what I said earlier. You have concocted an argument in your head that he was really good based on the last you seen him at WR he was running down the seam for a 31 yard TD against the Rams. He has put on more weight over the offseason. That has been pretty well documented that he is preparing for more work at HB. I don't understand the whole "full capacity" argument? Most teams have several options at HB that do a variety of things. They want Montgomery in the backfield as a Danny Woodhead, Theo Rid****, Duke Johnson, James White, Darren Sproles.

He's the most effective lining up wide.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is talking about Dez being a HoF WR, although he will go down in the Cowboys HoF. But you are talking a switch between Romo heavy seasons to 2015 where Romo and Dez spent little time in the lineup together and then Dak came in. Dak doesn't really throw a great ball and that was masked a lot in his rookie season when they could rely on Elliot. But not this last season. I really don't find the last 3 seasons indicative of any trend. Throw him on the Patriots, Saints, or Packers and he would be right back on track for 1000+ yards and 10+ tds. Unfortunately he might end up on the Giants and I am not sure Eli has the stuff anymore to put together a 4000+ yd, 30+ td season.

There's no question he has upside, although his production has declined as of late. Would he be better in Green Bay? Maybe, if he stayed healthy. Would he be a problem in the locker room? Probably not, if he thought he was getting the ball enough and the Pack was winning. When that first bout of adversity comes, however, I'm not convinced he reverts to the old Dez that butts heads with the coaching staff and walks off the field before the game is over......

https://www.si.com/nfl/audibles/2013/12/16/dez-bryant-walks-off-field-dallas-cowboys

Reaction score
I don't think Dez would accept what GB would offer for his services. I think we'd be South of <6M yearly (that's if we even valued him as a good fit) and I think he'd be North of >9M annually

D

Deleted member 6794

you can say that about ANY deal. it's all about the team's state of mind. a team can make things happen or dilly dally, get nothing done, and say "but we were in the conversation." guess it's a good thing they didn't sign the chicago cb. imagine who they couldn't have signed had they done it. ;)

It's absolutely true that every deal has a ripple effect on the ability of a team to make further moves. That's why they have to be smart about it. The Packers signing Bryant wouldn't be a clever move though.

Depending on what the numbers would be but I like Eric Decker he was very solid with the jets and Denver Rodgers throwing him the ball would be a nice piece I would be for signing him

Decker might present a decent option at a reasonable price.

Who needs Bryant anyway? Just stick Ty Montgomery back in the slot and our WR corps gets upgraded instantly and we can free up more space for Cobb to work with again.

The Packers don't need another slot receiver but a starting caliber one capable of lining up opposite of Adams. Moving Montgomery back to the position wouldn't upgrade the talent level by any means.

He was tearing it up at WR in 2015 before he got injured, and I actually put losing him at that spot that year as the reason our WR corps struggled beyond the midpoint over losing Jordy.

That is one of the most ridiculous quotes I've read i quite some time.

I don't know if I would call 15 catches for 136 yards and a 9 yds/catch average "tearing it up". However, I'm also not a big fan of Monty at RB, so putting him back at WR wouldn't be a bad thing, if nothing else for depth. But he still would have a long way to go, IMO, to beat out Allison to be #3 on the depth chart and see a lot of playing time.

Montgomery wouldn't compete with Allison for playing time though.

D

Deleted member 6794

of course but it has nothing to do with adams and everything to do with the now vacant position opposite adams.

True, but the Packers should be able to address that void with a receiver on a more reasonable than Bryant and avoid the drama signing him would cause.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, but the Packers should be able to address that void with a receiver on a more reasonable than Bryant and avoid the drama signing him would cause.
possibly...but as i said earlier if they signed him for a jordy-type contract where they could cut him after one, if it doesn't work out, with zero cap hit...why not? there's already going to be a buzz around the Packers anyway with Rodgers coming back and Graham's arrival. most of that will subside by the end of training camp. i don't think it'll be too bad.

D

Deleted member 6794

possibly...but as i said earlier if they signed him for a jordy-type contract where they could cut him after one, if it doesn't work out, with zero cap hit...why not?

The Packers would have paid Bryant more than $7 million in 2018 though which could have been used on other players.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not going to find a product more reasonable than Bryant with the ability he has anywhere but the draft at this juncture without a trade. But I dont trust our skeleton crew for a scouting department to acheive that goal at this point.

D

Deleted member 6794

would have? he's not signed. who knows what he'll sign for or what the Packers would even offer, if anything?

We're talking about possible scenarios that haven't happened yet therefore using the phrase would have seems to be legit.

Not going to find a product more reasonable than Bryant with the ability he has anywhere but the draft at this juncture without a trade.

While it's true that there isn't any other free agent wide receiver available matching Bryant's talent the Packers should pass as it would take up too much of the remaining cap space to lure him to Green Bay with the team having more pressing needs.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it's true that there isn't any other free agent wide receiver available matching Bryant's talent the Packers should pass as it would take up too much of the remaining cap space to lure him to Green Bay with the team having more pressing needs.

That situation may change depending on the draft. It looks to me like teams are not rushing to sign Bryant, and will probably wait until after the draft to assess their WR corps. If the Packers draft someone like DJ Moore, Ridley or Sutton, then there's no need for Bryant. But if they don't go for a WR in the first 3 rounds, I could see them making a play for Bryant. Bryant may want a big payday, but he probably isn't going to get it as he is not in as strong a bargaining position as he may think.

Conso

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If anything we pitch the SB/payback dream for him with AR throwing to him, 1 year contract and he can rub it in Dallas’s face (possible explosion season and a ring) play to his ego, also gives us a year for any rookies to develop.

Mike peterson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not seeing any interest from any team for Dez let alone the Pack! My guess is he wants too much $$. When he comes back to earth maybe he will find a team who will give him a chance. I don’t see that in Green Bay though

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I’m not seeing any interest from any team for Dez let alone the Pack! My guess is he wants too much $$. When he comes back to earth maybe he will find a team who will give him a chance. I don’t see that in Green Bay though

I'm sure there is/will be interest in Dez, but he made it pretty clear he wanted to stick it to Dallas, so maybe he and his agent are the ones doing all the leg work right now. Eventually, someone will sign him and probably end up with a decent incentive laden contract with a guy that has a major chip on his shoulder.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure there is/will be interest in Dez, but he made it pretty clear he wanted to stick it to Dallas, so maybe he and his agent are the ones doing all the leg work right now. Eventually, someone will sign him and probably end up with a decent incentive laden contract with a guy that has a major chip on his shoulder.
yup. everyone's concentrating on the draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

That situation may change depending on the draft. It looks to me like teams are not rushing to sign Bryant, and will probably wait until after the draft to assess their WR corps. If the Packers draft someone like DJ Moore, Ridley or Sutton, then there's no need for Bryant. But if they don't go for a WR in the first 3 rounds, I could see them making a play for Bryant. Bryant may want a big payday, but he probably isn't going to get it as he is not in as strong a bargaining position as he may think.

It seems the Packers are currently solely focused on the draft. I agree depending on which players they pick this week they might make a play for a veteran at a position which is still in need of an upgrade.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Aaron minority owner of the Bucks...Dez wearing a Bucks Jersey....things that make ya go hmmmmmm....
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

Latest posts