Dez Bryant signed by the Saints

D

Deleted member 6794

his ego is his worst enemy.

should the Packers make a play for him? imo (swallowing hard)...yes, i guess so. the need is certainly there. by doing it they can concentrate on D in the draft. if they don't it won't surprise me at all considering what they haven't done all off-season.

The Packers would have to create cap space in some way to be able to sign Bryant.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
his ego is his worst enemy.

should the Packers make a play for him? imo (swallowing hard)...yes, i guess so. the need is certainly there. by doing it they can concentrate on D in the draft. if they don't it won't surprise me at all considering what they haven't done all off-season.

I don't see it changing the draft much. Bryant would probably be a one year deal, Cobb's contract is up at the end of the year. No matter what, I think the Packers need to go after WR's in the draft. It would however relieve the need of expecting Allison or a rookie to start.

D

Deleted member 6794

someone has to line up opposite adams. allison? lol

Once again, I agree the Packers should add starting caliber receiver capable of lining up opposite of Adams but in my opinion Bryant doesn't present an intriguing option considering his price tag as well as his personality.

D

Deleted member 6794

why's that. they're at what $15m right now. he'll cost 8-9. they have the room.

According to Over The Cap the Packers have $16 million of cap space. The rookie class, players #52 and #53 as well as the practice squad will reduce that number by approximately $6 million. With the team having to save some of it to replace players being put on injured reserve they don't have enough wiggle room to sign Bryant to a contract like you suggested.

In addition I don't expect him to agree to a such deal.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OMG I am just absolutely blown away that they decided to move on from an aging, over paid, under performing player. Who else do the cowboys have to replace him!?!?!?!?:D Ths is batsh!t crazy.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
OMG I am just absolutely blown away that they decided to move on from an aging, over paid, under performing player. Who else do the cowboys have to replace him!?!?!?!?:D Ths is batsh!t crazy.

If you had just traded Jordy for him and renegotiated his contract, we wouldn't be having this discussion. ;)

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Redskins, 49ers, and Jags have the most cap space by far. If they're not interested at any number he's definitely in play for us. I don't see Coughlin being interested at all and even if the Skins were interested they are far from playoff contenders, so it would be strictly a money move. 49ers might be interested though.

Reaction score
I believe there are several WR's that will have an immediate impact year one and have a decent shot at developing into a #1 in few years. DJ Chark, Ridley, Sutton to name a few This class is slim at the WR position at the elite level but there are many solid #2 types available that could hold their own opposite side.
Imagine DJ Chark, Graham, Cobb, Montgomery (out of the backfield) and Davante on the field at the same with #12 cutting them up, which is entirely possible. Somebody in that group is going to be a complete mismatch for the D coverage team. I think we're primed for someone with speed to enter into the picture (Chark is just an example)
GB and Dallas both made it known they are trying to go younger and faster. We have to start thinking about the next 5-7 years (Aaron's shelf life) and I think that's exactly what Gute is doing. Dez Bryant doesn't fit that protocol and reminds me of a WR version of Bennett. I don't want that at all

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have legitimate receiving options in Cobb, Graham and the running backs behind Adams though.
Cobb and Graham had under 10 YPC last year. And McCarthy doesn't use RBs as receiving options. We literally have nothing guaranteed behind Adams, IMO.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard Will Kane (who's a big Cowboy fan) say the other day on the radio that Bryant didn't deserve the money he was getting because he was leading the Cowboys in drops. That may not be as bad as it sounds though, because I looked up who leads the Packers in drops, and the answer is Adams.

This is not a criticism, but I do honestly wonder why this is a sticky thread?

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
At this point who else is out there that is worth our leftover cap space? I think we should go all in rather than wasting the cap space.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers will use the remaining cap space on the draft class and probably Rodgers new contract. He will get 30 million and since the team doesn't have much cap space they will have fewer options to load the contract up front. Unless a high priced player gets cut to make room, Gute doesn't gave the cap flexibility to land another high priced player. Dez is not likely to take a deal like Mo Wilkerson since hes already 31. I would rather Gute sign a couple of affordable depth players after the draft with the small cap room he has left than try to go after an aging Dez.

Members online