Dez Bryant signed by the Saints

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what, Allison was a PS guy working his way up. And one of the rookies doing that this year would not be a fail.
in 2014 (the last year they had everyone healthy) the guy opposite nelson (cobb) had 91 catches and 12 tds (nelson was 98/13). taking graham into consideration i'd hope whoever lines up opposite adams will have at least have 75 catches and 8 tds...even if it's cobb lining up out there (who i hope it isn't). 35/3 would be very disappointing imo.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
in 2014 (the last year they had everyone healthy) the guy opposite nelson (cobb) had 91 catches and 12 tds (nelson was 98/13). taking graham into consideration i'd hope whoever lines up opposite adams will have at least have 75 catches and 8 tds...even if it's cobb lining up out there (who i hope it isn't).
I like Cobb. Not sure why some Packer fans dont. Reliable, gets open, and seems to have good chemistry with AR. Although his stats declined, he was always the 3rd option behind Adams and Jordy. I think he will have a great season as he probably gets more targets.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Cobb. Not sure why some Packer fans dont. Reliable, gets open, and seems to have good chemistry with AR. Although his stats declined, he was always the 3rd option behind Adams and Jordy. I think he will have a great season as he probably gets more targets.
i love cobb. i just want him in the slot 80% of the time or more.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I understand what some expect from the WR who lines up outside opposite Adams. However, in order for that to happen, if it is a rookie, that player is first going to have to win the starting job. Given that all 3 were drafted somewhere in the 4th-6th rounds, your expectations for it to happen in 2018 might be too high based on the history of others who have walked that same path. I hope one, two or all 3 are pleasant surprises and we even find Cobbs replacement for 2019 in one of them. But looking at it realistically, I would be more comfortable seeing Allison improve or a FA vet in that #3 WR spot, at least in 2018 and while the rookies learn.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
in 2014 (the last year they had everyone healthy) the guy opposite nelson (cobb) had 91 catches and 12 tds (nelson was 98/13). taking graham into consideration i'd hope whoever lines up opposite adams will have at least have 75 catches and 8 tds...even if it's cobb lining up out there (who i hope it isn't). 35/3 would be very disappointing imo.
We're talking about 3 late round WRs. I don't care who is opposite Adams. Rodgers will have plenty of caught passes and TDs assuming he's on the field. Our offense will probably top 10 again. And if. Rookie WR does the numbers I posted it will be a pretty decent season for them.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're talking about 3 late round WRs. I don't care who is opposite Adams. Rodgers will have plenty of caught passes and TDs assuming he's on the field. Our offense will probably top 10 again. And if. Rookie WR does the numbers I posted it will be a pretty decent season for them.
that's why a veteran would be preferable. no d will take a late round rookie as a threat which only adds to the pressure our other starters will see. hell...james jones even went 50/8 his last year. 35/3 is no threat. would be great if one of the rookies blew up in camp but it's unlikely. we want the o to be great...not good enough.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that's why a veteran would be preferable. no d will take a late round rookie as a threat which only adds to the pressure our other starters will see. hell...james jones even went 50/8 his last year. 35/3 is no threat. would be great if one of the rookies blew up in camp but it's unlikely. we want the o to be great...not good enough.
I'd rather have Jordy back. But it isn't happening. We have Adams, Cobb, Graham and Monty as a utility knife. Those are 3 very good and 1 pretty good passing targets. We also have 2 fine young RB's and now an influx of young WR talent to bring up. I'm not worried about our offense having weapons or ways to move the ball. Someone asked what I expected a rookie to do, I gave an attainable goal that would be a nice target for any one of those 3 to reach.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about Monty. Right now, he's like a man without a portfolio or country.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about Monty. Right now, he's like a man without a portfolio or country.
agree. he wasn't that great at wr...but had his moments, offered to play rb and hasn't been great...but has had his moments. rod serling would say of monty that

"he's stuck...in the backup zone."
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Somewhere, Dez might be smiling.

#Cowboys WR Terrance Williams was arrested on suspicion of misdemeanor public intoxication after a Lamborghini registered to him crashed into a light pole

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These concerns over the rookies as well as Allison's production are valid and even more reason to sign Dez. Granted Allison is in his 3rd NFL season to include experience against playoff caliber defenses, we still don't know what to expect from his production, and the loss of AR last season further complicates the quandary of how far he's grown. As far as the rookies go, they are all 4th-6th Round Picks in a weak WR class from this year. As much as I like them (except Moore :p), their prognosis for success this year is very slim. Especially given that they're at best the #4 option on the field. If all three make the roster, outside of one them being very explosive, I can't see them producing more than 3oo yds and 4 TDs individually, unless AR comes back with a vengeance and throws for 5700 yds and 60 TDs.

Meanwhile, Dez is better than any WR not named Adams. Given the defensive attention that both Adams and Graham will command Dez could have his best season in the last 5 years. Keeping in mind that Dez has had lesser QBs throwing to him his entire career as well as the fact that he's never had a true complimentary WR on the same offense and even in his "decreased" state he could look the WR version of Brett Favre when he was given Adrian Peterson and Percy Harvin.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Dez creates some interesting conundrums to consider:
  1. The money might be better spent on another position of more need (OLB), if a player becomes available. But I consider WR relatively high on need for 2018 and Dez might resolve that.
  2. Dez would probably be a one year rental. If he sucks or is just average, the Pack won't want him back. If he has a great year, the Pack probably won't pay him to come back.
  3. Which Dez do you get? Talented Dez or agitated, distracting, dropping passes Dez?
  4. Giving Dez reps takes reps away from Allison and 3 rookie WR's, but are those reps that they are ready for or would they be better served by Dez?
As a Packer fan I see both sides of the Dez debate. He could be the piece that really puts the Packer offense into the "unstoppable" category if everything clicks. However, he could be a big waste of money and a big distraction in the process. I will trust the Packers to know just how much they need his potential and that they will weigh that against the risks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dez creates some interesting conundrums to consider:
  1. The money might be better spent on another position of more need (OLB), if a player becomes available. But I consider WR relatively high on need for 2018.
  2. Dez would probably be a one year rental. If he sucks or is just average, the Pack won't want him back. If he has a great year, the Pack probably won't pay him to come back.
  3. Which Dez do you get? Talented Dez or agitated, distracting, dropping passes Dez?
  4. Giving Dez reps takes reps away from Allison and 3 rookie WR's, but are those reps that they are ready for or would they be better served by Dez?
As a Packer fan I see both sides of the Dez debate. He could be the piece that really puts the Packer offense into the "unstoppable" category if everything clicks. However, he could be a big waste of money and a big distraction in the process. I will trust the Packers to know just how much they need his potential and that they will weigh that against the risks.

1. What OLB? Any leads? At this point I can't see anyone of significance being cut or released.

2. There's too many outcomes to crunch that right now, especially given it will all depend on how Dez performs on the field.

3. I'm going to go on a limb and say that "Bad Dez" is still slightly better than Allison, and leaps and bounds above the rookies. "Good Dez" obviously there's no comparison other than Adams who still has higher ceiling to reach. But regardless, opposing DBs are going to respect him more than Allison and the rookies, and will gameplan for him accordingly. I don't necessarily mind Dez being a highly paid decoy who gets the same statline that he got in Dallas if we're still winning games.

4. The rookies of course not. Allison is wait and see, if Allison outplays Dez down the stretch, he could be excellent trade fodder before the deadline. I could see us getting another 4th for him.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me, Dez would be a great Rison signing. Only if other options are gone. We're in position to be in the Super Bowl and it's mid season. That way things can ride high, he'll feel good and be ok. I don't trust him to weather the storm of a full season on a team he expects to win a championship and they struggle as all teams invariably do at some point in the season. half season or less pushing towards the super bowl could keep is distractability to the team to a minimum. and yes I think I made up that word.

He might be an Andre Rison, but he could also be another Terry Glenn. That was one signing I really thought we were going to get a lot more out of than we did. I have no problem with our front office taking a few risks, but simply pointing to Rison isn't necessarily an indicator that you always get your money's worth out of the guy. Crazy too when you consider the Patriots have 5 rings yet none of them came when they had Randy Moss on their team.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I went to opening training camp that year they signed Glenn. I remember seeing how fluid he was and just last moment would snatch the ball out of the air compared to everyone else and thought he was going to light it up for us. Put that in the "slightly off prediction" pile lol.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dez would probably be a one year rental. If he sucks or is just average, the Pack won't want him back. If he has a great year, the Pack probably won't pay him to come back.
Likely true, and that's one reason I'm not really interested in him. Why sign him to take up playing time that could be used to develop our other receivers? Unless you think this is the year we're primed to win the Super Bowl and you think Dez will put us over the top (like they were thinking with Rison). But we're not even favored to win our division.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Likely true, and that's one reason I'm not really interested in him. Why sign him to take up playing time that could be used to develop our other receivers? Unless you think this is the year we're primed to win the Super Bowl and you think Dez will put us over the top (like they were thinking with Rison). But we're not even favored to win our division.
I don't. The only reason I brought up Rison was to bring timing and situation to the conversation. Dez won't put us over the top. I don't believe he is a bonding team player. I don't believe he is a foundation to build winners from. He's a guy, that if everything is going right and we're in position to win it all, could step in and perform for a few weeks because it suits him and the likelihood of fallout from him would be minimized. Of course this assumes we're in a position to win it and have lost our current WR's. OTherwise I don't think Dez is what he was and even then I think he was a lot of hype.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the release of Mychal Kendricks I'm totally off Dez for now. A defensive player of his acumen definitely takes priority.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think this almost puts the final nail in the coffin of no Dez Green Bay.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...dy-nelson-to-sign-ex-dallas-cowboy-dez-bryant

Of course, this isn't Rodgers decision and maybe if it happened he would embrace it, but its pretty clear that AR feels signing Bryant wouldn't make a lot of sense after the Packers cut Jordy. Would doing so **** AR off even more? I don't know.

I would say his logic (why cut one vet to save money and then spend it on another old vet) is a bigger deterrent than him not being jazzed about it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would say his logic (why cut one vet to save money and then spend it on another old vet) is a bigger deterrent than him not being jazzed about it.
Agreed, but I think that an argument could be made that Dez, who is 3 1/2 years younger could possibly be an upgrade over Jordy.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, but I think that an argument could be made that Dez, who is 3 1/2 years younger could possibly be an upgrade over Jordy.
I'm on record saying I'd pass on Dez... and I still would, but I agree that he is younger and the longer he stays unemployed increases his chances of being cheaper as well. I know Dez has been claiming he will only sign for top dollar, but I don't see any teams stepping up so...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Maybe. I tend to think that whatever slight edge he still has in athleticism would be mostly made up for by the Rodgers/Nelson mind meld.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts