Dez Bryant signed by the Saints

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't believe the Packers are considering Bryant at all. I think this recent stuff is just a lot of media driven speculation.

This is worth noting. The first report that linked the Packers to Bryant was from Rotoworld and if you pulled the string, it was clear that it was merely their own analysis that he would make sense there. The second was from Witten’s comments in which he said he had no knowledge of the situation. There has been literally nothing about interest coming from GB or Bryant towards the other party. I don’t think he wants to play in Green Bay and I don’t think the Packers want him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This is worth noting. The first report that linked the Packers to Bryant was from Rotoworld and if you pulled the string, it was clear that it was merely their own analysis that he would make sense there. The second was from Witten’s comments in which he said he had no knowledge of the situation. There has been literally nothing about interest coming from GB or Bryant towards the other party. I don’t think he wants to play in Green Bay and I don’t think the Packers want him.
Not much different then most big name FA's over history or even guys rumored to be on the trading block. Media and fans start trying to work out in their heads where this guy could land and how that would improve or not improve the team. I would imagine if you surfed 31 fan boards from the other teams, there has been Dez Bryant talk and what it could mean for their team.

So yes, until you start hearing real facts, it's nothing but Fantasy Football, speculation and conversation on our part. I agree with you and several other posters, I don't see the Packers trying to sign Dez nor do I see Dez all that interested in coming to Green Bay, but you never know.

Last edited:

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
everyone's just putting out their best guesses based on the situations of the teams named. there are no quotes or names named. when you actually see Gute quoted that he doesn't want someone...you can be 75% sure it's accurate lol. until then let's speculate about whoever until signatures are on the dotted lines.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are probably the most negative fan on this forum imo. The Front Office (like yourself) does not feel like signing Dez, yet you still disagree and mock their decision. Man, I’d really wonder what GM could ever satisfy if only one of your needs as a fan.

I’d sign Dez to a 1 year deal against 4 or 5 million. Im confident in the WR group as it is, but its only one Davante injury away of becoming a BIG question mark.

Funny. Because I've been called a homer for the most part on this board.

I don't even think they should pursue Dez. There are plenty of reasons not to. A few late round WRs should not be among them

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fully agree. As "stacked" as some might perceive both of those positions to be now, they are very inexperienced.

CB: You have Williams and House, after that, not much experience at all and a second year player in King, that could face continued problems with his shoulder.

WR: Beyond Adams and Cobb, we have Allison. GMO is a 3rd year UDFA with 35 catches. Otherwise, the rest are all inexperienced 4th to late round picks.

I doubt they'll bring in another wideout. I would be less surprised, however, to see them add another TE or two once teams start making cuts ( blocking-type Tight End). I would also not be surprised to see Jimmy Graham spend some time at WR in certain situations.

Of course, I've been known to be wrong occasionally, so we'll see.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Likely moot points.....I don't see him becoming a Packer, especially since they drafted three WR's who will be playing for a whole lot less money.

And likely a whole lot less production in 2018 as well. One of the three rookies might displace Allison by seasons end but I highly doubt any of them would supplant Dez.

It doesn't look like its going to happen though so you are right, moot points. It is possible that another veteran receiver gets shown the door once camps start and especially once cuts are made so my hopes that the Packers bring in someone to start opposite Adams is still alive but for now it looks like it is Allison's job to lose.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not really sure putting Dez on the roster really elevates the receiving corps all that much......He hasn't had a 1,000 yard season since 2014.

He has, however, been a major pain in the lower regions at times for Dallas. Would he be on his best behavior in GB? Maybe, but then again, maybe not.

I agree with the potential headcase (or other bodily region) department but I think he would behave for 1 year. I strongly disagree that he might not be a big upgrade in the receiving department. I think he would be a huge upgrade over Allison.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt they'll bring in another wideout. I would be less surprised, however, to see them add another TE or two once teams start making cuts ( blocking-type Tight End). I would also not be surprised to see Jimmy Graham spend some time at WR in certain situations.

Of course, I've been known to be wrong occasionally, so we'll see.

That's another problem I see. As much as I would like to see a veteran CB and a veteran WR brought in I'm not sure we have the room on the roster for another one without risking one of the young guys to the PS. As far as TE I would like a blocking TE too but we do have Byrd. IMO its either him or another TE and we go with three on the roster.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

True, but if we limited our discussion to those we have knowingly shown interest in or have shown interest in us it would be pretty boring around here. Speculation fill the void when real news is scarce. It is important to know the distinction though and fully acknowledge it is all fan and media driven speculation at this point. Still, did anyone have a clue we were thinking about Julius Peppers?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers wasn't even mentioned in passing. I just turned on the computer one morning and BAM! there was a picture of him signing his Packers contract at 1265.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
True, but if we limited our discussion to those we have knowingly shown interest in or have shown interest in us it would be pretty boring around here. Speculation fill the void when real news is scarce. It is important to know the distinction though and fully acknowledge it is all fan and media driven speculation at this point. Still, did anyone have a clue we were thinking about Julius Peppers?

I’m not criticizing anyone for talking about it. I’m just saying that it’s not imminent.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and what are your expectations for each of those 3 WR's this season?
For 1 of them? On a good year 35 catches 5-600 yds and 3 TDs might be good. Not sure which one, and I think that's attainable and generous for a rookie WR on this team.

No doubt fez offers a bit more maybe, but I can see amy of those 3 putting up a lot more in the future. Just not sure which one and I couldn't say which has to go to make room for Dez for one year

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
For 1 of them? On a good year 35 catches 5-600 yds and 3 TDs might be good. Not sure which one, and I think that's attainable and generous for a rookie WR on this team.

No doubt fez offers a bit more maybe, but I can see amy of those 3 putting up a lot more in the future. Just not sure which one and I couldn't say which has to go to make room for Dez for one year
Those are the question marks that will get answered in camp and preseason I guess, but I'm not so sure I am expecting that much out of a 4th, a 5th or a 6th rounder. Not sure what would be better, starting the season with Adams, Cobb, Dez, Allison, 2 rookies and take your chances on sliding one of the rookies to the PS. Or, Adams, Cob, Allison and 3 rookies. Not much depth with that plan. With Graham, not sure you keep 7 WR's. Also, depending on the plan with Davis and Clark, who knows. Lots of what ifs, but now that I do the math, one rookie may not make the final 53.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those are the question marks that will get answered in camp and preseason I guess, but I'm not so sure I am expecting that much out of a 4th, a 5th or a 6th rounder. Not sure what would be better, starting the season with Adams, Cobb, Dez, Allison, 2 rookies and take your chances on sliding one of the rookies to the PS. Or, Adams, Cob, Allison and 3 rookies. Not much depth with that plan. With Graham, not sure you keep 7 WR's. Also, depending on the plan with Davis and Clark, who knows. Lots of what ifs, but now that I do the math, one rookie may not make the final 53.

Especially three rookies that may be at best #4 on the WR depth chart at best and probably #6 at best in targets. Bring in Dez and none of them see the field much at all. Leave things alone and I guess one of them could beat out Allison eventually for that starting spot but I wouldn't count on it. 35 catches and 5-600 yards would be a great year for any of rookies unless they beat out Allison. If that doesn't happen more like 20/200 for best case.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't see the Packers being interested in a veteran wide receiver at this point. In my opinion the front office and coaching staff will give Allison and the three rookies every chance to earn the starting position opposite of Adams during the offseason.

There might be a possibility the team will be in the market for a free agent close to the season if none of the WRs prove worthy to be trusted on as the #3 but in that case I would prefer Gutekunst to either bring in Decker or Maclin if still available.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and what are your expectations for each of those 3 WR's this season?

I certainly expect AT LEAST one of them to emerge, learn the offense, and be a significant threat. And the others will fill in the gaps. And we still have Allison, who Rodgers trusts. Wishful thinking? We shall see.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me, Dez would be a great Rison signing. Only if other options are gone. We're in position to be in the Super Bowl and it's mid season. That way things can ride high, he'll feel good and be ok. I don't trust him to weather the storm of a full season on a team he expects to win a championship and they struggle as all teams invariably do at some point in the season. half season or less pushing towards the super bowl could keep is distractability to the team to a minimum. and yes I think I made up that word.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me, Dez would be a great Rison signing. Only if other options are gone. We're in position to be in the Super Bowl and it's mid season. That way things can ride high, he'll feel good and be ok. I don't trust him to weather the storm of a full season on a team he expects to win a championship and they struggle as all teams invariably do at some point in the season. half season or less pushing towards the super bowl could keep is distractability to the team to a minimum. and yes I think I made up that word.

I'd be quite surprised if Dez wasn't signed by some team before the start of the season. I don't see him being available after that.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be quite surprised if Dez wasn't signed by some team before the start of the season. I don't see him being available after that.
I don't see him being available that late either. Just stating what sort of scenario I would find acceptable to even want him here

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh my! that's allison's career stat line. the guy opposite adams had better do better than that or it's a fail.
So what, Allison was a PS guy working his way up. And one of the rookies doing that this year would not be a fail.

Members online

Latest posts