Dez Bryant FA?

D

Deleted member 6794

Having 2 HOF QB's for over 20 years also helps in making some of those WR's look better than they may have been with another team. Trying to think of a Packer WR over that time frame that will end up in the HOF themselves, James Lofton was the last Packer WR to bestoe that honor and he played in GB from 78-86. Not saying that both Favre and Rodgers didn't have some quality WR's, but it wasn't like Wolf and TT have been drafting HOF WR's.

There are currently only 25 modern era wide receivers in the HOF, making it unrealistic to expect being able to draft one. While Wolf regretted not providing Favre with better pass catchers there's no doubt in my mind Thompson has put together good corps for most of his tenure.

Unfortunately it seems that the overall talent level is as bad at the moment as it hasn't been in a long time.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately it seems that the overall talent level is as bad at the moment as it hasn't been in a long time.
Disagree heartily with this. Overall, I think the roster is pretty good talent-wise at the moment. I think it could use an injection of some young hungry speed and we need to fill the obvious hole at TE. I think the roster will likely look pretty good come August after free agency and draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

Disagree heartily with this. Overall, I think the roster is pretty good talent-wise at the moment. I think it could use an injection of some young hungry speed and we need to fill the obvious hole at TE. I think the roster will likely look pretty good come August after free agency and draft.

I was solely talking about the talent level at wide receiver. In my opinion the Packers definitely need to upgrade the position this offseason.

In addition it's highly questionable the overall roster is currently extremely talented though.

Last edited by a moderator:

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was solely talking about the talent level at wide receiver. In my opinion the Packers definitely need to upgrade the position this offseason.

Don't confuse the talent level of our WRs with the talent level of the guy throwing to them most of the season. Especially disconcerting is the amount of trashing on Nelson this year. He had 6 TDs in the first 4 weeks until Rodgers got unnecessarily driven into the ground. Same goes for Cobb, who had 23 catches in the first 4 games and was 3rd among WRs in YAC on a per catch basis. A bad QB can make the best WRs look bad on the stat sheet. But the fact is we had guys open frequently where Hundley would either miss his window or simply not see them at all.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
moss may have been a bit of an @$$ but irvin has drug history, stabbed a fellow teammate with some scissors, criminal history. his noisy antics are highly annoying. of all the first class guys the league can use for pr, why they use idiots is beyond me.
Probably because most of those first class guys aren't spotlight ****** and would rather enjoy their retirement.

D

Deleted member 6794

Don't confuse the talent level of our WRs with the talent level of the guy throwing to them most of the season. Especially disconcerting is the amount of trashing on Nelson this year. He had 6 TDs in the first 4 weeks until Rodgers got unnecessarily driven into the ground. Same goes for Cobb, who had 23 catches in the first 4 games and was 3rd among WRs in YAC on a per catch basis. A bad QB can make the best WRs look bad on the stat sheet. But the fact is we had guys open frequently where Hundley would either miss his window or simply not see them at all.

It's probable both Nelson and Cobb would have put up better numbers last season with Rodgers throwing to them all year. On the other hand there's no denying Jordy is getting up there in age while Randall has struggled at times even with #12 on the field.

Considering that it's possible the Packers don't have any quality backups behind them the position is reason for concern this offseason.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Rodgers has averaged about 3800 yards/season as a Packer. When you start spreading those yards out amongst all of the Packer receiving targets, not every player is going to have 1000+ yards/season, so people should keep that in mind. I'm still of the mindset that Jordy's production was down last year mainly due to Rodgers being out. If you look at Jordy's career stats, I would chalk last year up to way out of the norm. Cobb got paid based on what now appears to be a one year anomaly in 2014, his combined yards and TD's for the past 2 seasons don't even equal that one season total, so yes, Cobb is being way overpaid if it's all based on stats.

I would lean towards keep Jordy, hopefully on a 2 year restructured deal and if Cobb won't renegotiate, send him packing since he is going to be a FA after next year anyway.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers has averaged about 3800 yards/season as a Packer. When you start spreading those yards out amongst all of the Packer receiving targets, not every player is going to have 1000+ yards/season, so people should keep that in mind. I'm still of the mindset that Jordy's production was down last year mainly due to Rodgers being out. If you look at Jordy's career stats, I would chalk last year up to way out of the norm. Cobb got paid based on what now appears to be a one year anomaly in 2014, his combined yards and TD's for the past 2 seasons don't even equal that one season total, so yes, Cobb is being way overpaid if it's all based on stats.

I would lean towards keep Jordy, hopefully on a 2 year restructured deal and if Cobb won't renegotiate, send him packing since he is going to be a FA after next year anyway.

You have to factor Nelson's age into the decision though as it's possible he will regress within the next two seasons.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You have to factor Nelson's age into the decision though as it's possible he will regress within the next two seasons.
We may already be seeing the regression. Over the last two years, he doesn’t look to me like he is fond of running routes in the middle of the field.

D

Deleted member 6794

We may already be seeing the regression. Over the last two years, he doesn’t look to me like he is fond of running routes in the middle of the field.

It seems that Nelson has lost some of his speed since coming back from ACL surgery preventing him from scoring on any deep throws.

Danny Amendola of NE is up for free agency.

I guess the Patriots will attempt to re-sign him before the start of free agency though.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not saying we should be interested in signing dez, but I sure get an awfully good laugh out of the people that post on here and say he is all hype and hasn’t put up numbers in 3 or 4 seasons, he is paid too much, etc., but then in their next post will defend the guys on our current roster like Matthews, cobb, Nelson, Bulaga, Perry, etc that have the not lived up to their contracts in recent years either. They are Green Bay’s version of dez Bryant. Take the green n gold glasses off occasionally!

Athletically gifted, a bit of a diva, disappointing production.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts