Dez Bryant FA?

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not saying we should be interested in signing dez, but I sure get an awfully good laugh out of the people that post on here and say he is all hype and hasn’t put up numbers in 3 or 4 seasons, he is paid too much, etc., but then in their next post will defend the guys on our current roster like Matthews, cobb, Nelson, Bulaga, Perry, etc that have the not lived up to their contracts in recent years either. They are Green Bay’s version of dez Bryant. Take the green n gold glasses off occasionally!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not saying we should be interested in signing dez, but I sure get an awfully good laugh out of the people that post on here and say he is all hype and hasn’t put up numbers in 3 or 4 seasons, he is paid too much, etc., but then in their next post will defend the guys on our current roster like Matthews, cobb, Nelson, Bulaga, Perry, etc that have the not lived up to their contracts in recent years either. They are Green Bay’s version of dez Bryant. Take the green n gold glasses off occasionally!

While you are correct on some of that, a few things to note. First, Dez is considered a distraction and not a team guy. I haven't heard that said about Matthews, Cobb, Nelson, Bulaga, Perry. Second, there are people on this board that have been preaching that the Packers should get rid of some of those guys. Finally, the decision isn't alway about money, but replacement cost. If the Cowboys have a WR ready to fill Bryants shoes, they probably cut him. If they don't, than they are faced with the same decision that the Packers have been faced with concerning their high end paid players. I think if a GM just automatically cut every player that is no longer worth their contract, that GM wouldn't be around long, there are other factors in the decision.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Name 3 posters that have done what you say.

D

Deleted member 6794

There are a lot of posters around here that have mentioned Matthews, Nelson and Cobb being overpaid and that the Packers should try to restructure their contracts.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a lot of posters around here that have mentioned Matthews, Nelson and Cobb being overpaid and that the Packers should try to restructure their contracts.
Yes there is a few that are down to earth and realize that these guys and their current contracts that none of them are living up to are holding the team back right now, others on here seem to think what the packers currently have is the best thing going and are so afraid to make a move because the replacement won’t be able to step in and replace the (lackluster) production we have gotten out of our big money guys is what really gets me. All these guys mentioned could be replaced for less money as far as I’m concerned. None of them are top 10 players in the league in any category besides salary!

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes there is a few that are down to earth and realize that these guys and their current contracts that none of them are living up to are holding the team back right now, others on here seem to think what the packers currently have is the best thing going and are so afraid to make a move because the replacement won’t be able to step in and replace the (lackluster) production we have gotten out of our big money guys is what really gets me. All these guys mentioned could be replaced for less money as far as I’m concerned. None of them are top 10 players in the league in any category besides salary!

I would definitely prefer the Packers to restructure the contracts of Matthews, Nelson and Cobb over releasing them as Gutekunst would have to find adequate replacements while already having the need to improve several positions on the roster.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you have nothing.
Some may defend jordy and clay et el and others will support or knock dez and others but I don't recall any doing what you say.
Read the threads on every free agent that comes up and it’s the same ol line...he’s not worth that, Jordy can put or those number or cobb can put up those numbers, clays still got a double digit sack season in him, blah blah blah. well if that’s the case those guys better damn well start proving it. We are over valuing these guys big time! They are being paid to be super stars and not a 1 made the pro bowl??? Believe the Browns, jets, colts and bears were other teams with that distinction. Let that soak in a minute before the next comment is made on how great our current talent is.

D

Deleted member 6794

Read the threads on every free agent that comes up and it’s the same ol line...he’s not worth that, Jordy can put or those number or cobb can put up those numbers, clays still got a double digit sack season in him, blah blah blah. well if that’s the case those guys better damn well start proving it. We are over valuing these guys big time! They are being paid to be super stars and not a 1 made the pro bowl??? Believe the Browns, jets, colts and bears were other teams with that distinction. Let that soak in a minute before the next comment is made on how great our current talent is.

Once again, I don't believe there has been a single poster mentioning the Packers currently have great talent on the roster aside of Rodgers. That doesn't mean the team should get rid of every player being overpaid at the moment as Gutekunst would have to replace them with adequate talent as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Your point assumes that whoever the Packers replace said players with will be better, cheaper, etc. How did that work out when it was thought that overpaying Hyde or Hayward wasn't the prudent thing to do and they weren't resigned? I am not debating that it really appears that Matthews, Cobb and Nelson aren't being overpaid but before you decide that they need to immediately be cut, you have to play out all the things that need to happen to make that move a wise one.

To help your point but to also make mine, cutting Sitton and not resigning Lang seemed crazy to many of us. But it was obvious as it played out, the Packers had a contingency plan to replace both at a cheaper price, without much of a drop off. I just don't think they have those same options right now at OLB and WR.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your point assumes that whoever the Packers replace said players with will be better, cheaper, etc. How did that work out when it was thought that overpaying Hyde or Hayward wasn't the prudent thing to do and they weren't resigned? I am not debating that it really appears that Matthews, Cobb and Nelson aren't being overpaid but before you decide that they need to immediately be cut, you have to play out all the things that need to happen to make that move a wise one.

To help your point but to also make mine, cutting Sitton and not resigning Lang seemed crazy to many of us. But it was obvious as it played out, the Packers had a contingency plan to replace both at a cheaper price, without much of a drop off. I just don't think they have those same options right now at OLB and WR.
We let those guys walk to sign contracts at roughly 6 mil a yr if I’m not mistaken, the dead weight we hang on to every year is 10+, The problem with the guys being mentioned here is that this hasn’t just came about in the last few months these guys have been on a pretty steady decline for years, age has caught up to them, I’m a bit shocked there hasn’t been some moves made to get the replacements in place already at both of the positions u have mentioned. Is Adams the guy at wr, I’m not 100% sold on that idea but evidently TT was.

D

Deleted member 6794

We let those guys walk to sign contracts at roughly 6 mil a yr if I’m not mistaken, the dead weight we hang on to every year is 10+, The problem with the guys being mentioned here is that this hasn’t just came about in the last few months these guys have been on a pretty steady decline for years, age has caught up to them, I’m a bit shocked there hasn’t been some moves made to get the replacements in place already at both of the positions u have mentioned. Is Adams the guy at wr, I’m not 100% sold on that idea but evidently TT was.

There's no denying Matthews, Nelson and Cobb are overpaid and the Packers should approach all of them about restructuring their contracts. Unfortunately the players hold most of the leverage in those situations especially as the team currently doesn't have adequate replacement for any of them on the roster. That's on Thompson.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think the bold writing has been on the wall at OLB for a few years now. Maybe not bold to the Packers, in hopes that Clay would resurrect his career and play like he did early on. The writing has been more subtle at WR, but still there IMO. The debate of "Are the WR's THAT good or is it that AR makes them look THAT good", could be had all day long. To my knowledge, a WR hasn't left GB in the last 10 years and thrived elsewhere. The fact that AR could make James Jones look pretty decent again, fuels the debate even more.

It appears TT attempted to address both positions in a very TT like way, mid to late round draft picks. Biegel we really don't know how he will turn out, but as far as WR's, the last WR that TT actually hit on was Adams.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the bold writing has been on the wall at OLB for a few years now. Maybe not bold to the Packers, in hopes that Clay would resurrect his career and play like he did early on. The writing has been more subtle at WR, but still there IMO. The debate of "Are the WR's THAT good or is it that AR makes them look THAT good", could be had all day long. To my knowledge, a WR hasn't left GB in the last 10 years and thrived elsewhere. The fact that AR could make James Jones look pretty decent again, fuels the debate even more.

Unfortunately the Packers don't have quality depth at both positions. Hopefully Gutekunst will significantly improve the talent level at both outside linebacker and wide receiver.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Unfortunately the Packers don't have quality depth at both positions. Hopefully Gutekunst will significantly improve the talent level at both outside linebacker and wide receiver.

I agree and if he is looking for immediate improvement that may have to come in the form of Free Agents, long term improvement, the draft. Ideally, a combination of both IMO.

A change in philosophy that I would like to see, is keeping an eye on the "big contracts" that are either coming up for the once cheaper guys (Adams, Lindsley, Perry, etc,) and those coming due in the near future ( Cobb, Matthews, etc.) Don't let your team get so thin at that position, that you are basically forced into resigns that might be over priced. Last year, we really didn't have much choice but to resign Perry. This year, Adams and Lindsley and may be forced to keep Matthews, Jordy and Cobb. I'm not saying the resigns of Perry, Adams and Lindsey were bad things, but the Packers really left themselves no other options.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I agree and if he is looking for immediate improvement that may have to come in the form of Free Agents, long term improvement, the draft. Ideally, a combination of both IMO.

A change in philosophy that I would like to see, is keeping an eye on the "big contracts" that are either coming up for the once cheaper guys (Adams, Lindsley, Perry, etc,) and those coming due in the near future ( Cobb, Matthews, etc.) Don't let your team get so thin at that position, that you are basically forced into resigns that might be over priced. Last year, we really didn't have much choice but to resign Perry. This year, Adams and Lindsley and may be forced to keep Matthews, Jordy and Cobb. I'm not saying the resigns of Perry, Adams and Lindsey were bad things, but the Packers really left themselves no other options.

The Packers should definitely change their approach towards free agency and be more aggressive in it to add quality depth to the roster. Unfortunately the Packers are currently thin at several positions making it extremely tough to improve all of those within a single offseason.

On the other hand it's extremely tough to avoid ending up with overpaid players as teams have to keep their core guys around even if there's a possibility of them regressing over the length of the contract.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
On the other hand it's extremely tough to avoid ending up with overpaid players as teams have to keep their core guys around even if there's a possibility of them regressing over the length of the contract.

While I agree with that statement, sometimes if you have no depth, you leave yourself no choice but to resign or keep a guy at a price that might be considered too high. But yes, trying to build a team around the perfect timing of when to and when not to sign players, is next to impossible, unless you have a crystal ball.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It appears TT attempted to address both positions in a very TT like way, mid to late round draft picks. Biegel we really don't know how he will turn out, but as far as WR's, the last WR that TT actually hit on was Adams.
Not coincidentally... Adams having been drafted in the second round, was the last time the Packers made a serious effort to improve the WR position... yeah there have been lots of guys drafted in late rounds or picked up as undrafted free agents, but Adams was the last serious high pick.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not coincidentally... Adams having been drafted in the second round, was the last time the Packers made a serious effort to improve the WR position... yeah there have been lots of guys drafted in late rounds or picked up as undrafted free agents, but Adams was the last serious high pick.

Same with Cobb, Jordy and Jennings. I realize other teams have found solid WR's in later rounds, but seems like the Packers are snake bit since 1999 when they found Driver in the the 7th, at trying to find a productive WR past maybe the 3rd round (James Jones).

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Same with Cobb, Jordy and Jennings. I realize other teams have found solid WR's in later rounds, but seems like the Packers are snake bit since 1999 when they found Driver in the the 7th, at trying to find a productive WR past maybe the 3rd round (James Jones).

That's why I could never quite understand why some people always called TT a WR genius. According to what I could find Ted has drafted 18 WRs as GM of the Packers. IMO 5 of the 7 drafted in rounds 1-3 can be considered hits. Terrance Murphy was a miss and if I am not mistaken his career was cut short by injury. Montgomery (3) is still up in the air but borderline and may end up making it as a RB so that may be a miss. Some may not be as generous I me on James Jones but I consider him a hit. After the third round he has picked 11 WRs and IMO none of them have made an impact at WR and the only one you could possibly consider a hit, and that's only because he was a 7th round pick, was Janis and that's only because of his play on special teams and a couple of hail Mary catches.

So there you have it. 5 of 18 hits and all of them in the first 3 rounds (4 in round 2). I don't have any numbers to compare him to so I can't say whether he is better than most or not but I certainly wouldn't call him a WR genius. I will say this though, if the Packers decide to go WR in round 2 I hope Gute lets Ted make the choice.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

What do Nelson’s and Cobb’s production numbers look like last year if Rodgers doesn’t get hurt?
It was very clear that Adams was Hundley’s favored target.
We really won’t know who is earning their 10 million and who isn’t until the middle of next year.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts