Dez Bryant FA?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Without question, Dez Bryant's future is the biggest question facing the Cowboys in 2018.
from here
“We pay Dez a lot of money, and he knows that. He’s aware of it as anybody when he talks to Jerry and myself,” Stephen Jones said. “He knows when you get paid that kind of money, there’s high expectations in terms of the productivity. Those are all things that we have to look at as a team, as an organization, when we start to put our team together for next year.” -- from the same cite.
He is due $12.5m each of the next two seasons.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
He isn't quite what he was. It will probably never happen but i'd rather pay him 12.5 then Jordy or Cobb at this stage.

I would be more interested in Josh Gordon on a 1 year prove it deal if Packers went free agent route. Other then him I would prefer Packers to draft a receiver with the whole chemistry thing with Aaron and let him develop with Aaron.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He isn't quite what he was. It will probably never happen but i'd rather pay him 12.5 then Jordy or Cobb at this stage.

I would be more interested in Josh Gordon on a 1 year prove it deal if Packers went free agent route. Other then him I would prefer Packers to draft a receiver with the whole chemistry thing with Aaron and let him develop with Aaron.

Gordon is an ERFA, which means he really isn't a free agent. Idk why they have to make things so confusing, but the bottom line is that unless Cleveland decides they don't want to pay Gordon peanuts to play for them, we won't have a shot at him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Seems like the Cowboys are in a similar situation as many teams find themselves each year, the Packers included. Do you cut bait from a guy that appears to be getting paid way more than he is earning?

If he is cut loose, I wouldn't be that interested in him and I have to wonder if The Packers or Rodgers would be either. First, we don't have the money to spend on another high priced WR and I doubt he would resign with any team for less than Adams money. Cutting Cobb and Jordy would be automatic if it did happen. Second and probably more importantly, the guy seems to be a distraction. Yes, he has talent, but if he doesn't get his way, he loses focus and turns into a high paid primadonna. Bad fit in Green Bay.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't want him unless we were able to pick him up as a cheap short term rental on a run to the Super Bowl, much like Andre Rison.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I wouldn't want him unless we were able to pick him up as a cheap short term rental on a run to the Super Bowl, much like Andre Rison.

I doubt he goes anywhere on the cheap. I was surprised to see he is only 29, seems like he has been in the league forever (8 seasons).

Maybe he will become the next Randy Moss, mellows a bit with age and goes to a new city and resurrects his career. I'm just hoping that doesn't also happen in New England.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheap, maybe. He's been living off his hype I swear. I guess I can't say i've watched a lot of Cowboy football, but everytime I do it seems I see him dropping more balls than catching and doing a lot of complaining. Maybe I just saw him at the wrong times, but after every drop i'm like, why do people think he's good?

Reaction score
Even if he was available, I think Jordy can match Dez numbers for another year or two and at a much cheaper price. We need to be looking for a young solid WR understudy during Jordy's twilight years with us

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If we want a jump ball guy who can't really separate why don't we just draft Courtland Sutton :geek:

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
I don't think Dez is much better than Cobb or Jordy and he comes with distractions. I think there are better options like Sammy Watkins or Jarvis Landry who would play better than our aging veterans for about the same or less.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If we want a jump ball guy who can't really separate why don't we just draft Courtland Sutton :geek:

Probably just a "Jeff Janis wish", but I still like what I have seen out of Michael Clark. If the Packers can tap into his catching abilities and physical skills, this guy could be really good some day. :) Davon House stated that he is a really hard guy to cover and reminds him a lot of Tampa Bays Mike Evans.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like the Cowboys are in a similar situation as many teams find themselves each year, the Packers included. Do you cut bait from a guy that appears to be getting paid way more than he is earning?

If he is cut loose, I wouldn't be that interested in him and I have to wonder if The Packers or Rodgers would be either. First, we don't have the money to spend on another high priced WR and I doubt he would resign with any team for less than Adams money. Cutting Cobb and Jordy would be automatic if it did happen. Second and probably more importantly, the guy seems to be a distraction. Yes, he has talent, but if he doesn't get his way, he loses focus and turns into a high paid primadonna. Bad fit in Green Bay.

I'd rather have Marqise Lee or Jordan Matthews

H

HardRightEdge

Dallas can jawbone all they like, but the bottom line is the dead cap is $8 mil and the cap savings $8.5 mil. That leaves one question for them: Will he provide productivity in 2018 matching the $8.5 mil caps savings, factoring in "who else ya got?" If the answer is "no", then the options are limited.

To the Packers if cut? I wouldn't go there. He's not been the same same player since the Jones fracture in 2015, and then further decline was evident after the hairline tibia fracture at the knee in 2016. He surely did not look like a force to be reckoned with against the Packers this past season.

Jed12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheap, maybe. He's been living off his hype I swear. I guess I can't say i've watched a lot of Cowboy football, but everytime I do it seems I see him dropping more balls than catching and doing a lot of complaining. Maybe I just saw him at the wrong times, but after every drop i'm like, why do people think he's good?

Hype and a fat pay check which he somehow managed to get.... Dez has never been in one of my conversations of a top 10 receiver let alone top 5! Like others I think Jordy can put up the same if not better number with Arod. He wouldn’t offer us anything that we don’t already have

D

Deleted member 6794

I share the sentiment of most posters in this thread that the Packers shouldn't be interested in Bryant as he has struggled to put up decent numbers since 2014 and is too much of a distraction.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think there will definitely be some options at WR for the Packers in the Free Agent market. I also think quite a few of those players might relish the idea of having #12 throwing to them. Gute, MM and the powers to be are just going to have to decide "do we stay pat with known quantities in Nelson and Cobb, despite their costs or do we look for possible better and/or cheaper options in the FA market?" Although Cobb and Nelson aren't "guarantees", the Packers pretty much know what they have. You can't say that with as much assurity with a FA, no matter who it is. As much as I want to see the Packers find a top WR in the draft, I really don't expect much out of a rookie in 2018, but think we need to start bringing one along for the near future.

Last edited:

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
from here
“We pay Dez a lot of money, and he knows that. He’s aware of it as anybody when he talks to Jerry and myself,” Stephen Jones said. “He knows when you get paid that kind of money, there’s high expectations in terms of the productivity. Those are all things that we have to look at as a team, as an organization, when we start to put our team together for next year.” -- from the same cite.
He is due $12.5m each of the next two seasons.

Pass. We need to get faster, not slower.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Really guy? Dez “no catch” Bryant. This team doesn’t not need a big name thats a washed up athlete to sell tickets. We need athletes to make plays. If we want to make the right BIG move its to trade away Cobb to the Jets or Browns for a 3rd or 4th rounder, hope Jordy retires and go after Jarvis Laundry.
(Side note: it WAS a catch :()

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really guy? Dez “no catch” Bryant. This team doesn’t not need a big name thats a washed up athlete to sell tickets. We need athletes to make plays. If we want to make the right BIG move its to trade away Cobb to the Jets or Browns for a 3rd or 4th rounder, hope Jordy retires and go after Jarvis Laundry.
(Side note: it WAS a catch :()
No, by rule, it WASN'T. And the correct move with Cobb is to renegotiate.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Finding a trade partner for over paid contracted players isn't happening unless you can first renegotiate their contract and then trade them. But if the Packers can renegotiate Cobb, Jordy or Matthews to a contract that reflects their current level of play, why trade them?

Members online

Latest posts