De'Vondre Campbell signing

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Since entering the NFL in 2016, De’Vondre Campbell has been a solid starting linebacker. A fourth-round draft pick of the Atlanta Falcons, Campbell played in 59 of a possible 64 games over four seasons with the team, starting 54 of those, before signing a one-year deal with the Arizona Cardinals last season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Demovsky says De'Vondre Campbell is in town and expected to sign barring any issues with physical and such.

I love this possible tire being kicked. Dude is still sub 28 years old and has contributed at every spot in his career he has been.

Last year saw him start all 16 games for Arizona, with 2 sacks, 99 combined tackles (69 solo) with 7 being for a loss.

For four straight seasons he has had over 90 combined tackles attributed to him and hasn't missed much time at all. Originally a 4th rounder from Minnesota by the Atlanta Falcons in 2016.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His deal last year was $6M....I fully expect this to be a bargain deal at this point in FA for us. Solid move barring some crazy figure being thrown out there.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read his weakness is pass defense. Not sure this is what I was hoping for. Also worried about the timing of this. Is either Barnes or Martin in OTAs/minicamp causing concerns of needing another player?

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I read his weakness is pass defense. Not sure this is what I was hoping for. Also worried about the timing of this. Is either Barnes or Martin in OTAs/minicamp causing concerns of needing another player?
I read he was good at covering TE

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As long as he isn't the next Christian Kirksey, I think this is a good signing....if at the right price. I actually was hoping the Packers would sign him after he left Atlanta, but better late than never!

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard his rookie year he was #3 on the depth chart but if someone got hurt he would move up to #2 until he learned the defense and then he would become #1. I also read that when Gute called to tell Rodgers about this probable signing Shailene answered the phone but did promise to give him the message.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Packers are also working out a QB, which says to me that 3 camp arms may not be enough or they really didn't like what they ended up seeing out of .......Love (kidding of course), Kurt Benkurt.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not at all, he isn't a burner of a coverage guy, but I wouldn't feel this is about finding a starter, more an experience depth guy that has proven at this level to be capable though should the need arise.

Reaction score
We’ve got a DC who’s expertise is at LB.
I can see him initially using Campbell more in the Mike role there, Deondre has not found success there dropping into pass coverage as his weakness is slower to anticipate the route tree or reading the QB’s intention.
On the flip side he’s an athletic downhill heat seeking missile and he’s exceptional at sniffing out the Run and getting involved with disruption.
Barry was notoriously (sorry for lack of better adverb) known for showing a 2-high look and then bringing a Safety down to get involved in the box. He likely recognizes he can trust Savage or Amos on an island. He also has his Jalen again there in J’aire who can hybrid into man coverage and be fully trusted. Campbell brings us an underneath presence at ILB and Burks is looking more like roster bubble by the minute.
We thought it would be unusual to let 2 2nd year players man ILB, this is a good veteran answer. We also don’t lose comp selections and he should conceivably sign for less than last season annually.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
for what it’s worth, PFF has consistently graded him overall in the low to mid 50’s for just about every season.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has about the size we need, 100-ish tackles last year. I think that would be an upgrade from what we had last year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He has about the size we need, 100-ish tackles last year. I think that would be an upgrade from what we had last year.
Well Martinez used to get the tackles too, but 5-10 yards past the LOS, so not sure I would use that as a barometer. However, I think/hope you are right that he is an upgrade or at least a really good depth guy.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Barnes only started in 10 games and had 80 tackles. Campbell started all 16....if judging solely on tackles where is this upgrade you speak of?

Reaction score
Barnes only started in 10 games and had 80 tackles. Campbell started all 16....if judging solely on tackles where is this upgrade you speak of?
In the last 2 seasons 31 contests, he’s had 210 tackles 2 INT 4 FF 4 Sacks 8PD 13TFL and 4QB hits
Krys had been every bit of decent, but Campbell is better than Krys Barnes.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the last 2 seasons 31 contests, he’s had 210 tackles 2 INT 4 FF 4 Sacks 8PD 13TFL and 4QB hits
He’s better than Krys Barnes. He’s not a total stud but he’s solid

I wasn’t saying Barnes was better I was merely stating that in a very small sample size of the 10 games Barnes 100% would have out produced Campbells best seasons or career norms.
I am a big fan of Campbell, was in his camp last years offseason but went to Cardinals…and love this pick up personally.

Reaction score
I wasn’t saying Barnes was better I was merely stating that in a very small sample size of the 10 games Barnes 100% would have out produced Campbells best seasons or career norms.
I am a big fan of Campbell, was in his camp last years offseason but went to Cardinals…and love this pick up personally.
Oh I see that now. Misinterpreted that earlier post. I see now you are questioning an earlier poster who was using tackles as a barometer. Sorry Tyni

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A little love for a former Golden Gopher making it in the NFL.

IMO Campbell is a slightly better Blake Martinez, but just in the way he sticks his nose in to stop the run means that he tends to make tackles closer to the line of scrimmage. I like the signing. It gives us some better depth at a weak position.

How can this not make Rodgers happy?!? :D

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can this not make Rodgers happy?!? :D

The main reasons are he is not known to be a close friend of Aaron Rodgers.
Aaron Rodgers is not known to have desired this.
Aaron Rodgers most likely was not called to seek permission or his 'blessing' on it.

Members online

Latest posts