Devin White

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You are getting off track. I never said he was a way better leader. I do think he is a better leader and I believe his leadership style is better for the Packers. But I have never said bush isnt a leader.
he is talking about people who yell. As if yelling equals leadership in his mind.

We don't have to keep going around in circles on this but my point is that I don't even know how someone could begin to really know who has better leadership skills between two players like White and Bush.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he is talking about people who yell. As if yelling equals leadership in his mind.

You can tell he's a leader because he yells at his teammates to fire them up and when he makes a big play, they rally up with him.

That's what you said. You're the one bringing up how you can tell on the field based on emotion. I'm just carrying through with your logic.

Like I said before, 99% of leadership from a player comes off-field, which we don't see. White very well may be a great leader. I just don't know well enough to say. I'm ok at evaluating tape, but medicals, attitude, leadership, off-field...those are things you don't know unless you have really good info with the team/coaches.

And acting like you can tell based on tape whether White or Bush is a better leader is beyond ridiculous. They're both very good players. I think Bush shows a better mental recognition on the field, is better in coverage, and makes less mistakes. White seems to be slow to diagnose, but his athleticism makes up for it. What will happen against NFL players? And I'm not a huge fan of players who go for the kill shot frequently, that's how you end up with missed tackles.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can tell he's a leader because he yells at his teammates to fire them up and when he makes a big play, they rally up with him.

That's what you said. You're the one bringing up how you can tell on the field based on emotion. I'm just carrying through with your logic.

Like I said before, 99% of leadership from a player comes off-field, which we don't see. White very well may be a great leader. I just don't know well enough to say. I'm ok at evaluating tape, but medicals, attitude, leadership, off-field...those are things you don't know unless you have really good info with the team/coaches.

And acting like you can tell based on tape whether White or Bush is a better leader is beyond ridiculous. They're both very good players. I think Bush shows a better mental recognition on the field, is better in coverage, and makes less mistakes. White seems to be slow to diagnose, but his athleticism makes up for it. What will happen against NFL players? And I'm not a huge fan of players who go for the kill shot frequently, that's how you end up with missed tackles.
So Ray Lewis wasnt a good leader because he was emotional on the field.

Got it.

I know that is a stupid and senseless argument, but it is exactly on intellectual par with your rebuttal so maybe that will make sense to you.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Ray Lewis wasnt a good leader because he was emotional on the field.

Got it.

I know that is a stupid and senseless argument, but it is exactly on intellectual par with your rebuttal so maybe that will make sense to you.

Huh? That's not what I'm saying.

I said I don't think you can judge if a player is a leader based on their emotional output on the field. I listed players that are emotional on the field that aren't leaders. Players that aren't emotional that aren't leaders. I then said leaders can be emotional and non-emotional on the field.

I just don't think game tape shows us that much of who is/isn't a leader. That's all. Theatrics on the field don't mean that much to me.

Reaction score
I don’t see why all the doubt about White. It’s not like he’s promising afterlife here.
There’s nearly a full consensus from scouts from nearly every team that White is a top 10 prospect. He’s arguable one of the most talented players on the board if he’s there at #12.
What’s far stranger to me is seeing some of you guys in here in the past advocating for taking the best player available (within reason of course)
But it seems when that method doesn’t produce your personal preference at a position or product YOU want, you revolt.

By the way an “off ball” LB went top 10 last year. I can show you guys how few teams picked a top 10 (or 12 for that matter) TE going back 60 years. This is coming from me, who has complained for years about our lack of picking Offense (particularly OL) and instead we went full throttle Defense early and often almost to a fault.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RayRay may have had the theatrics on the field, but any man that can rally a group to prevent the police from solving a murder that he or someone he knows committed shows the man had influence over those around him to a pretty high level.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don’t see why all the doubt about White. It’s not like he’s promising afterlife here.
There’s nearly a full consensus from scouts from nearly every team that White is a top 10 prospect. He’s arguable one of the most talented players on the board if he’s there at #12.
What’s far stranger to me is seeing some of you guys in here in the past advocating for taking the best player available (within reason of course)
But it seems when that method doesn’t produce your personal preference at a position or product YOU want, you revolt.

By the way an “off ball” LB went top 10 last year. I can show you guys how few teams picked a top 10 (or 12 for that matter) TE going back 60 years. This is coming from me, who has complained for years about our lack of picking Offense (particularly OL) and instead we went full throttle Defense early and often almost to a fault.

I don't know about "all this doubt." I'm not saying he's a bad prospect by any means. He's 12th on my board for the Packers. But there are multiple guys I think are better prospects than he is, and one them happens to be fellow LB Devin Bush.

There is a lot of consensus in the public that he's the top LB prospect. Not 100%, but a lot of it. But we cannot even begin to say that there's consensus among team scouts. We don't have a clue about that.

But you're right-- if he's there at #12, he's certainly one of the more talented options. But what I'm saying is that he won't necessarily be the *only* talented option-- or a slam dunk pick. There's another guy at his position that I like better and a number of players at other positions that I like better. It's ok to point out his deficiencies, right?

The point that I responded to to generate all this discussion with Amish was that if Devin White is there, he's basically an auto pick. I don't see this class that way at all.

I have no idea what you're talking about with the revolting and BPA method stuff.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point that I responded to to generate all this discussion with Amish was that if Devin White is there, he's basically an auto pick. I don't see this class that way at all.
It's weird. It's almost as if this isnt an exact science, we don't have all the information (or the same), and that we have our own opinions.

You are a good poster, and keep level headed. But there are some real obstinate butt heads here like Janis, Brandon, and that Amish guy.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's weird. It's almost as if this isnt an exact science, we don't have all the information (or the same), and that we have our own opinions.

You are a good poster, and keep level headed. But there are some real obstinate butt heads here like Janis, Brandon, and that Amish guy.

Totally false.

Anyone around after the Vikings tie knows that I proudly do NOT keep a level head.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How did I get left off this list? Oh yeah, I’m on a whole nuva level

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hey now...I can take getting grouped in with Brandon, but not that Amish guy!

I'm jk. I really only disagree with you on like one thing a draft cycle. You are, imo, a very good poster. Definitely not an obstinate Butt-Head like myself. Even Dantes once told me that I'm a real jerk on here.

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have watched a few more games of White's recently and am seeing more that I like. I also have seen him speak on ESPN, NFL Network and YouTube a few times over the last couple weeks and he seems like Packer People and would be a good fit at 1265.

I do also feel Oren Burks is going to make a jump up this season and fill that role at ILB next to Blake. Yet you don't want to pass up great talent. And perhaps White is that.

If Oliver and Hock are gone at #12 I would consider White along with about 11 other players.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have watched a few more games of White's recently and am seeing more that I like. I also have seen him speak on ESPN, NFL Network and YouTube a few times over the last couple weeks and he seems like Packer People and would be a good fit at 1265.

I do also feel Oren Burks is going to make a jump up this season and fill that role at ILB next to Blake. Yet you don't want to pass up great talent. And perhaps White is that.

If Oliver and Hock are gone at #12 I would consider White along with about 11 other players.

Unfortunately out of that group the most likely to not be on the board is White. I think he probably goes before Oliver and definitely before Hockenson. And Oliver definitely goes before Hockenson as well.

But if by some chance all 3 were on the board at 12, who do you take?

I think I go White because the Packers just haven't ever had that guy in the middle during the favre/Rodgers era. And I think Oliver is not as much of a team player

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would just laugh and laugh at the team that takes Devin White over Ed Oliver. It may happen, but that would be some serious stupidity.

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Unfortunately out of that group the most likely to not be on the board is White. I think he probably goes before Oliver and definitely before Hockenson. And Oliver definitely goes before Hockenson as well.

But if by some chance all 3 were on the board at 12, who do you take?

I think I go White because the Packers just haven't ever had that guy in the middle during the favre/Rodgers era. And I think Oliver is not as much of a team player
Can you give some examples of how Oliver isn't a team player? Because I have not heard that. I agree that White seems like a quality locker room guy, but I have not heard that Oliver is not.

I won't get into Hockenson because there are some on this board that don't like him only because they like to counter what certain other posters on this board say no matter the topic.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish I could explain just how bad Houston's DC was. The guy wants his DL to play read and react, which is apocryphal for somebody like Oliver. Let him penetrate!

There is a good reason his stats declined after his freshman year, and it is coaching.

Reaction score
I think they’ll only let us pick one! Boy you must really like him! Lol
:) J/K
I don’t know why your comment made me chuckle but thank you for that!

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think they’ll only let us pick one! Boy you must really like him! Lol
:) J/K
I don’t know why your comment made me chuckle but thank you for that!
Well it's good I make you laugh. Some here can't stand me.:D

I do like White, but yeah if Oliver and Hock are gone he would be in the mix as my choice at 12. D.K. Metcalf is also in the mix which causes heads to explode around here:roflmao:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would just laugh and laugh at the team that takes Devin White over Ed Oliver. It may happen, but that would be some serious stupidity.

Whites gonna go #4 to Oakland or #5 to Tampa. Oliver could go before that but not likely.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree. Of course we can't tell how they are off-field but usually, in public interviews or podcast interviews, you can gauge how a player is. Also just looking at their social media (twitter), during 2015 draft year I took a look at Randy Gregory's twitter and said... NOPE. lol

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree. Of course we can't tell how they are off-field but usually, in public interviews or podcast interviews, you can gauge how a player is. Also just looking at their social media (twitter), during 2015 draft year I took a look at Randy Gregory's twitter and said... NOPE. lol

For sure.

The really bad character guys usually make it aware to everybody lol

Reaction score
D.K. Metcalf is also in the mix which causes heads to explode around here:roflmao:
I like Metcalf, he definitely needs to be paired with a QB who has an arm. We talked several seasons ago about how formidable this O could be if we had a deep threat. It would be fun to watch these Corners trying to press him, he’s not a guy who’s going to be easy to contain.
If he was paired with Rodgers he’s a 1000 yard guy if he gets anything close to in sync with Aaron, but more importantly he’s going to command attention and allow the GMOs and MVS types to flourish and make defenses think carefully once he catches that first deep 40+ yarder.
The only thing I’ll say is, this year good receivers are bountiful and plentiful so we have several other really close rated prospects who will be available further down the board.

Last edited: