Devin White

green&goldsoul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a feeling this guys draft stock will soar as we move closer to the the draft. If Devin White somehow is available at #12, I think he will be one of those guys that is very hard to pass on from a best available perspective. I absolutely love this guy, but do you think the Packers would take an ILB 12th overall? Especially considering the talent at edge coming out of the first round of this draft.
I have a feeling this guys draft stock will soar as we move closer to the the draft. If Devin White somehow is available at #12, I think he will be one of those guys that is very hard to pass on from a best available perspective. I absolutely love this guy, but do you think the Packers would take an ILB 12th overall? Especially considering the talent at edge coming out of the first round of this draft.

There is NO WAY we should pass on Devin White if he is available to us. Mike Petitne has show in only one year that he can system scheme to generate plenty of sacks. So adding a missile to shoot down A gaps will actually benefit us more than a one trick pony edge rusher. I'm by no means under valuing the position. But Devin White is a freak. And we could use to build our defense around going forward. #DWhite@12thpick

D

Deleted member 6794

What I am saying is the Packers already invested a premium pick on an athletic LB that lacks natural football instincts so here we are playing the "RE-DO GAME" again.

I agree that there's not a lot of reasons to be optimistic about Burks developing into a decent player.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I agree that there's not a lot of reasons to be optimistic about Burks developing into a decent player.

Yep, Burks and Josh Jones are both examples of great athletes and both lack natural football instincts. The Packer need to do a better job of this when grading players.

Reaction score
There is NO WAY we should pass on Devin White if he is available to us. Mike Petitne has show in only one year that he can system scheme to generate plenty of sacks
I listened to an interview with Hall of Famer Gil Brandt and his take was that White is easily talented enough to play either ILB or OLB. He mentioned the Packers as one of the teams who should strongly consider him.
He probably knows a thing or two, He’s a WI boy and he drafted guys like Roger Staubach and Tony Dorsette

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I listened to an interview with Hall of Famer Gil Brandt and his take was that White is easily talented enough to play either ILB or OLB. He mentioned the Packers as one of the teams who should strongly consider him.
He probably knows a thing or two, He’s a WI boy and he drafted guys like Roger Staubach and Tony Dorsette

Without hearing the episode, I would assume he's referring to OLB as say a Sam or a Will. White can't play OLB/Edge in a 3-4.

He's a ILB only in a 3-4 scheme. Shorter side, not overly heavy, doesn't have long arms...he's not setting an edge anywhere lol.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I hope to be wrong about it but at this point there's no reason to believe Burks will develop into a decent player at the pro level.

Burks isn't gonna be a pro bowl player. He lacks the natural instincts needed and you can't teach that.

Josh Jones is the same deal.

WASTED PICKS.

D

Deleted member 6794

Burks isn't gonna be a pro bowl player. He lacks the natural instincts needed and you can't teach that.

Josh Jones is the same deal.

WASTED PICKS.

They don't have to develop into Pro Bowlers to have a positive impact. I doubt Burks will develop into a decent player though.

Reaction score
There both trash.
I'm not as concerned with Burks as I am with Josh Jones, mainly because Oren was a rookie in 2018 and I think it takes time to transition. Keep in mind that Oren only played 2 years at LB for Vanderbilt, he converted his Junior year.

Josh Jones was highly touted because of his athleticism and he had a reputation as a hard hitter. It seems as he's gotten diluted at the next level. The NFL is played so fast that his speed isn't as much of a factor as it was in college, where he could rely on that to compensate for his weakness' (At N.C. he was known to bite on play fakes while in the box because of his over-aggression and he would also get caught out of position at times in the secondary) As a second round pick you should be further along by now. He's a true example of how straight athleticism does not work in the NFL, you have to have what they call NFL level smarts to go with it. If I'm Gute I'm giving him one year to prove himself or I'm moving on

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not as concerned with Burks as I am with Josh Jones, mainly because Oren was a rookie in 2018 and I think it takes time to transition. Keep in mind that Oren only played 2 years at LB for Vanderbilt, he converted his Junior year.

Josh Jones was highly touted because of his athleticism and he had a reputation as a hard hitter. It seems as he's gotten diluted at the next level. The NFL is played so fast that his speed isn't as much of a factor as it was in college, where he could rely on that to compensate for his weakness' (At N.C. he was known to bite on play fakes while in the box because of his over-aggression and he would also get caught out of position at times in the secondary) As a second round pick you should be further along by now. He's a true example of how straight athleticism does not work in the NFL, you have to have what they call NFL level smarts to go with it. If I'm Gute I'm giving him one year to prove himself or I'm moving on

While Jones has mostly struggled for the better part of two seasons I'm more optimistic about him than Burks. Unfortunately there's a decent chance both will end up being wasted picks.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

While you are right about rookies being able to develop you can usually always see glimpses of what they can become. Jaire Alexander for example showed an instinctive level of play even though he made rookie mistakes at times. I have not seen any of the same level of instinctive play from either Burks or Jones.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While you are right about rookies being able to develop you can usually always see glimpses of what they can become. Jaire Alexander for example showed an instinctive level of play even though he made rookie mistakes at times. I have not seen any of the same level of instinctive play from either Burks or Jones.

Jones as a rookie when played in that Morgan Burnett lb role played well and had a couple nice games if I remember correctly

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He looked good when he could play at the LOS but making him responsible in the passing game has negated much of that.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, Burks and Josh Jones are both examples of great athletes and both lack natural football instincts. The Packer need to do a better job of this when grading players.

I suppose you'd hate this mock I just did?

12 Devin whjte
30 Devin bush
44 Chauncey Gardner Johnson
75 Chris Lindstrom
114 Andy Isabella
118 Justice Hill
150 Terry Mclaurin
157 Josh oliver
185 Jordan brailford
194 Marquise Blair
226 Cole Tracy

In this scenario the Packers trade Blake Martinez for a 5th round pick to the Titans #157.

Packers defense gets 2 missles right in the heart of the defense. The way Mike Pettine uses ilbs I think those 2 would make things nearly impossible for opposing offenses.

Still get day one starting safety, guard, and slot wr, and kicker. Plus an explosive rb and wr (mclarin) a te with nice speed and athletism. A edge rusher and safety who could be something

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree but not just poor natural instinct. Burks dont have that IT factor. Dude doesnt even wanna hit. That's what missing.

Martinez aint bad. Definitely a grinder and aint afraid to hit. When I think of a middle linebacker I think of dudes who wanna knock the :poop::poop: out of the other team. Majority of these hybrid linebackers don't wanna hit but just dance. I know Dantes and I disagree on hybrid linebackers not willing to take on blocks (or "not their job" to take on blocks) ;). Reason why Morrison started over Burks is simple. Attitude.

Pertaining to Devin White. I like him as a prospect. I actually like him more than Deion Jones coming out of college.

However, I like Devin Bush Jr more than White. More instinctual and straight to line of scrimmage. Sound tackler. Did more in coverage on tape. Both are lighting fast. Dont mind who we get out of these two but give me a Bobby Wagner 2.0

Reaction score
In this scenario the Packers trade Blake Martinez for a 5th round pick to the Titans #157.
I’m completely confused as to why several posters frown upon Martinez. He’s been one of the better draft picks we still have as far as value. Huge production at a low cost for a day 3 pick.

I only wish we had a few more guys that lived up to their potential like Martinez has.

I’d love to have an all around product like Devin White paired with Martinez. I think you’d be surprised how much better our run D and pass Defense in the middle of the field would get by default.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Martinez is a fine player. He's not a guy you build a defense around, but he's a pretty good football player. I'd take him over a lot of guys in this league. But he doesn't lock down the position either. I'm not actively looking to replace him, but if I have a stud available to put next to him, it makes this defense a lot better.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I suppose you'd hate this mock I just did?

12 Devin whjte
30 Devin bush
44 Chauncey Gardner Johnson
75 Chris Lindstrom
114 Andy Isabella
118 Justice Hill
150 Terry Mclaurin
157 Josh oliver
185 Jordan brailford
194 Marquise Blair
226 Cole Tracy

Packers defense gets 2 missles right in the heart of the defense. The way Mike Pettine uses ilbs I think those 2 would make things nearly impossible for opposing offenses.

Still get day one starting safety, guard, and slot wr, and kicker. Plus an explosive rb and wr (mclarin) a te with nice speed and athletism. A edge rusher and safety who could be something

I don't dislike the players per say but I just think it's over kill using so much firepower at ILB. I like Lindstrom a lot(I have him in my mock) but don't believe he will be there at #75. Justice Hill will probably go sooner then #118 too. He would be a steal at #118 though. I don't want Isabella at 5'8.

I've noticed people thinking getting Mclaurin is like almost getting Parris Campbell and this is the way of thinking I am so tired of. This mock illustrates the continued effort to draft the best defensive players available on defense while getting second rate talent on offense.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY WE ARE LOSING.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I agree but not just poor natural instinct. Burks dont have that IT factor. Dude doesnt even wanna hit. That's what missing.

Martinez aint bad. Definitely a grinder and aint afraid to hit. When I think of a middle linebacker I think of dudes who wanna knock the :poop::poop: out of the other team. Majority of these hybrid linebackers don't wanna hit but just dance. I know Dantes and I disagree on hybrid linebackers not willing to take on blocks (or "not their job" to take on blocks) ;). Reason why Morrison started over Burks is simple. Attitude.

Pertaining to Devin White. I like him as a prospect. I actually like him more than Deion Jones coming out of college.

However, I like Devin Bush Jr more than White. More instinctual and straight to line of scrimmage. Sound tackler. Did more in coverage on tape. Both are lighting fast. Dont mind who we get out of these two but give me a Bobby Wagner 2.0

I like Germaine Pratt and we can get him in 2-3rd round range. I see him as extreme value in this range.

Members online

Latest posts