Devin White

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I have a feeling this guys draft stock will soar as we move closer to the the draft. If Devin White somehow is available at #12, I think he will be one of those guys that is very hard to pass on from a best available perspective. I absolutely love this guy, but do you think the Packers would take an ILB 12th overall? Especially considering the talent at edge coming out of the first round of this draft.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not even going to pretend to know much about him, but if he's a ILB they feel can do it all and be a playmaker, yes I think it could be a selection at 12. I would still rate OT and Edge guys higher, but i'd rather take ILB the feel great about than reach for either of the other 2 if the top prospects are gone.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we have more of a need at OLB, but you cant pass on a player like White. I tend to gravitate to players who are well rounded than a master of one. And White has no holes in his game.

From walterfootball:

Devin White*, ILB, LSU Height: 6-2. Weight: 236. Projected 40 Time: 4.64. Projected Round (2019): Top-16. 2/16/19:

White is your quintessential linebacker who is a physical force against the run, covers ground in pass defense, and is a team leader who sets the tone for a violent, intimidating defense. White is worthy of being a top-16 pick in any draft class because he looks like a future difference-maker as a three-down starter in the NFL. He is a good fit for either a 4-3 or a 3-4 defense. White should be a starter quickly in his NFL career and could be a Pro Bowler early on.

From a scout:

"This kid could end up being similar to Ray Lewis. I'd take White over any of the linebackers this year. He's unbelievable. Unless he gets hurt or completely shuts it down to protect himself, he'll be the first linebacker drafted next year. He's the complete package. Great character. He's the signal-caller of the defense with a super football IQ. He's big, study, and stout enough for Mike - middle linebacker; swift enough for Will - weakside linebacker -, great athlete and coverage instincts. Stacks up the stat boxes, all of them. He's fast, an explosive tackler, and [has] elite reactionary quickness. "Right now, he's among the best, and maybe the best, I've scouted. Better athlete and versatility than [Dont'a] Hightower. More explosive, violent, and bigger than C.J. Mosley; same level of instincts. Better than Jerod Mayo at Tennessee. Bigger than Jonathan Vilma while being more violent and instinctive than D.J. Williams, same kind of freak athlete explosiveness-wise. [A] thumper like Sean Weatherspoon. Basically, he's a bigger version of Roquan Smith in the 240-250-pound range. He's FUN to watch. Unbelievable stamina and motor. He could be the best linebacker ever to come out of LSU."

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2019ILB.php#WmuJzFPYDOOMHmL3.99

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The importance of a ILB is higher in the Pettine system, equally weighted as an OLB. An improvement at ILB helps us more than at OLB.

The biggest thing, though, is his leadership and tone setting. I think the energy he brings will elevate the whole team. I dont see any of the OLBs in this draft on the same level in that respect.

I have white as my #4 overall packer prospect and would draft him at 4 if bosa, William's and Allen were gone. So yes, of we get him at 12, that would be amazing.

I dont think he makes it past 8, though.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
White definitely has holes in his game. He's reckless and his processing skills can be a little slow. With that said, he's young, athletic, physical and good. But he's not close to Ray Lewis. He's not as good as Roquan Smith was last year either, imo. He's closer to that guy Detroit drafted a couple years ago.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
White is very talented, but he doesn't have the instincts to match the talent at this point. He misreads the field too often. He also has a number of instances on tape where he does read things correct, gets to the ball, and just doesn't finish the play. That could be a youth thing, as he is a younger prospect. If he was in last year's class, he would have been LB4 for me behind Smith, Edmunds, and Vander-Esch. I don't think he should be completely out of the question for the Packers at #12, as I do think Pettine could maximize him, but he would basically be my last acceptable option.

H

HardRightEdge

White is very talented, but he doesn't have the instincts to match the talent at this point. He misreads the field too often. He also has a number of instances on tape where he does read things correct, gets to the ball, and just doesn't finish the play. That could be a youth thing, as he is a younger prospect. If he was in last year's class, he would have been LB4 for me behind Smith, Edmunds, and Vander-Esch. I don't think he should be completely out of the question for the Packers at #12, as I do think Pettine could maximize him, but he would basically be my last acceptable option.
I think that's right. He makes plays athletically in a frequently unsound way fundamentally that makes him a reach at #12 with the step up in competition. You're more likely to end up with a Nick Barnett, a guy who never quite honed his game, than a Bobby Wagner who was a polished college player who fell in the draft because he was "too undersized" to play ILB.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smith is a great LB for sure. Only hesitation I have about him is his injury history. Frequently little nagging injuries. Edmund's has the highest ceiling, but currently the least effective player. LVE is very good, but the lowest ceiling of the 4. It would be close to me who is #1, Smith or White. Both are tremendous leaders.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
White definitely has holes in his game. He's reckless and his processing skills can be a little slow. With that said, he's young, athletic, physical and good. But he's not close to Ray Lewis. He's not as good as Roquan Smith was last year either, imo. He's closer to that guy Detroit drafted a couple years ago.

Who must have been really good since you can't even remember his name.:D:D

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Smith is a great LB for sure. Only hesitation I have about him is his injury history. Frequently little nagging injuries. Edmund's has the highest ceiling, but currently the least effective player. LVE is very good, but the lowest ceiling of the 4. It would be close to me who is #1, Smith or White. Both are tremendous leaders.

I disagree for sure. In terms of natural talent and God given traits, like size and length, Edmunds and Vander-Esch have the highest ceilings by a long shot.

Edmunds did struggle a bit to start his rookie year (came on strong late), but we are comparing prospects. Edmunds was a much better prospect at VTU than White, imo.

We probably just won't see this the same, but White is an easy #4 for me.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree for sure. In terms of natural talent and God given traits, like size and length, Edmunds and Vander-Esch have the highest ceilings by a long shot.

Edmunds did struggle a bit to start his rookie year (came on strong late), but we are comparing prospects. Edmunds was a much better prospect at VTU than White, imo.

We probably just won't see this the same, but White is an easy #4 for me.
If it was only about athletics, I would agree. We will know in a few years who the better pro is. My money would be on White with Smith better but missing too much time from injury. Edmund's and LVE will both be very good pros.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If it was only about athletics, I would agree. We will know in a few years who the better pro is. My money would be on White with Smith better but missing too much time from injury. Edmund's and LVE will both be very good pros.

Yeah, they are all good prospects... 1st rounders all day at off ball linebacker, which takes some real talent. But I don't see in White a guy who is so special that he ought to be taken 12th.

If they want to take a great player at a non-premium positive, my chips are all on Hockenson. I find him to be a better TE than White is a LB.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, they are all good prospects... 1st rounders all day at off ball linebacker, which takes some real talent. But I don't see in White a guy who is so special that he ought to be taken 12th.

If they want to take a great player at a non-premium positive, my chips are all on Hockenson. I find him to be a better TE than White is a LB.
I would love to end up with Hock. As I said, I doubt White is available at 12. I wouldn't trade up for him as we should end up with a very good player at 12 anyway. Frankly, I think a trade back a few spots is very possible at this point. Next tier has a couple of OLBs, Hock, an OT or 2. A few guys we could really use.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would love to end up with Hock. As I said, I doubt White is available at 12. I wouldn't trade up for him as we should end up with a very good player at 12 anyway. Frankly, I think a trade back a few spots is very possible at this point. Next tier has a couple of OLBs, Hock, an OT or 2. A few guys we could really use.

That would be fine with me. If they end up stuck at #12 with no trade partner, with the top OT's and ED's gone, I would just screw the positional value and draft Hock.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If it was only about athletics, White would be easily at or near the top. It's the mental processing part of it that he struggles with.

And I don't see how LVE has a low ceiling? He's very good. Arguably played better than any of the guys mentioned this past year.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Drafting White would just be more INSANITY!

Blake martinez is the 3rd best player on our defense and we just spent a 3rd round pick on Burks. Not to mention Josh Jones is being developed as a Hybrid ILB.

NO! NO! AND NO!. Pure INSANITY with many other needs.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
If there already ready to move on from Burks I could see them going for Germaine Pratt out of NCSU in 3rd round range.

Period!

Reaction score
I think we stick to our guns like we all pretty much say in here and go with best talent there.

If that’s White and our entire coaching staff has researched the heck out of him and they believe he’s the best overall on the board? Then I’m backing my GM and letting him know these picks are why we sacrificed in 2018. This is why we took a step backward.. to get the next guy we think will be probowl worthy one day and truly picking BAP. Knowing all the while we have another selection to fill that position we are desperately worried about again at #30.

My gut tells me we’ve been lost at that second ILB spot for a number of years. We’ve seen it with the revolving door there. A big part of what made Dallas formidable last year was LVE. I’m reading more and more about how the league is evolving there in the middle.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it was only about athletics, White would be easily at or near the top. It's the mental processing part of it that he struggles with.

And I don't see how LVE has a low ceiling? He's very good. Arguably played better than any of the guys mentioned this past year.
I dont think LVE is going to be much more than what he is now. He is what he is.

What makes Smith and White special is more of their attitude. I am a strong proponent of players with attitude as being an important part in their makeup. I mention frequently in most of my mocks.

LVE gets the job done and is a leader to some degree. But White is the guy in the huddle screaming let's get these guys, follow me! And everyone is energized. He makes the big hit and is ferocious out there.

Opposing teams look across the LOS and think, there is LVE, let's make sure we block him. When they look at White they will think, dammit! I hate that guy.

We need more emotional players out there. I'm hoping that is the Gute way as Jaire Alexander is a bit more like that.

Reaction score
There’s no mistaking why several mocks have him well inside the top 10. Theres a reason why Ray Lewis is considered one of the best all time players ever. Everyone should be looking for that attitude.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think we stick to our guns like we all pretty much say in here and go with best talent there.

If that’s White and our entire coaching staff has researched the heck out of him and they believe he’s the best overall on the board? Then I’m backing my GM and letting him know these picks are why we sacrificed in 2018. This is why we took a step backward.. to get the next guy we think will be probowl worthy one day and truly picking BAP. Knowing all the while we have another selection to fill that position we are desperately worried about again at #30.

My gut tells me we’ve been lost at that second ILB spot for a number of years. We’ve seen it with the revolving door there. A big part of what made Dallas formidable last year was LVE. I’m reading more and more about how the league is evolving there in the middle.

I think BAP is great when your building a team but once again the Packers are operating in a 3-4 year window topps by what most experts say so that kind of swings the pendulum to calculating "NEED" on these top picks as well.

IMO White is a fabulous player but he just doesn't make complete sense in the current dynamic of the Green Bay Packers when calculating NEED.. Unless an elite OT is sitting there at 12 I believe the play for the Packers is to trade back and doubling up on potential starters instead of upgrading an already set position of strength.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think LVE is going to be much more than what he is now. He is what he is.

What makes Smith and White special is more of their attitude. I am a strong proponent of players with attitude as being an important part in their makeup. I mention frequently in most of my mocks.

LVE gets the job done and is a leader to some degree. But White is the guy in the huddle screaming let's get these guys, follow me! And everyone is energized. He makes the big hit and is ferocious out there.

Opposing teams look across the LOS and think, there is LVE, let's make sure we block him. When they look at White they will think, dammit! I hate that guy.

We need more emotional players out there. I'm hoping that is the Gute way as Jaire Alexander is a bit more like that.

Oh please. If screaming and yelling was all it took to be a leader, then Jameis Winston and Burfict would be at the top of the list. Quite frankly, you're dead wrong about LVE. He is a rare athlete. He's 250+ pounds and running routes with Alvin Kamara...but he's topped out and not a great leader because he doesn't scream and yell in the huddle. That's bogus fan ********.

We aren't in the meeting rooms. We aren't in the huddle. We don't know **** about who's actually a great leader and who isn't until teammates and coaches tell us.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I'm not understanding what about LVE's athletic profile and terrific rookie season would lead one to say, "he is what he is."

If that's just your gut feeling then ok. I'm just wondering if there is something he's missing.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Kinda like a Mike Daniels type huh? Weren't we saying the exact same thing about him a couple of years ago. He's good but I don't think he is that feared around the league.

I think the rah rah guys burn out faster as their enthusiasm wanes and they are forced to rely on their talent. I'll take a smart player over and overzealous one any day as they tend to make fewer mistakes. In some ways I think all the screaming and yelling can have a negative affect unless the guy is really pulling his weight. The big fattie who just ate up 2 defenders only to see the rah rah guy behind him miss the tackle because he over ran the play may not think to highly when the rah rah guy starts screaming about making some plays.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts