Detail Oriented Mike Sherman

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Question for the masses - and I'd really like everyone to step up to the plate and comment....

Is Mike Sherman - being detail-oriented llike he is... Overdoing it?
Read the article on PackersNews.com... and really give it the due consideration that this tactic I'm talking about deserves.... forget I mentioned Sherman's name.. just walk thru the numbers.....

Packers start season 0-3 for first time in 17 years

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being detail-oriented is a good thing.

But I have a different take on Sherman. I think one of two things happen with his teams, as they always start slow.

1)He gets into paralysis by analysis. Too much detail, especially with some of the marginal mental types now occupying the NFL. Bates has the right approach, keep is simple for the stupids.

2)His "lets save it for the end of the year" works if you have a chance at the end of the year. His teams are notoriously bad the first few games, then seem to catch on as the season goes by. The only thing that has saved him is how truly awful the other teams in the NFC North have been.
The amount of ******** around during training camp finding who can do what put them three weeks behind. The game against Tampa showed this COULD be a decent team, but by the time they put it together, it might be too late.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea....it is all Sherman. He never should have told Davis to botch the extra-point snap. He should have told them to try to make it for the 158th straight time. He should also have told Longwell to try to kick that field goal from 42 yards. And if he would have just remembered to tell his 15 year veteran QB to throw the ball to the team wearing the same colored jersey as his own....we would have won. I agree fire Sherman.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing's fer sure - Most of Sherman's firsts..... are not the good kind!
He's essentially killed the Lambeau Mystique and then some......

I would agree - he is OVER analyzing to the point of being **** about it.
He's also a poker face with his play calling... Even if Rossley was in getting his heart checked out - they game-planned this fiasco together... And, it got increasingly worse in the second half....

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Prez: yes we have lost the Lambeau Mystique, and the reason why we had a worst play calling in the second half is because BELIEVE IT OR NOT Rossley came back to the stadium and he got the play calling the whole second half.. There is nothing worst than a fool with iniciative.

Statement on Packers offensive coordinator Tom Rossley

"Packers offensive coordinator Tom Rossley was taken by ambulance to an area hospital shortly before the start of today's game and underwent tests. He was not feeling well and was able to leave the field without assistance. The tests were negative and he returned to the stadium early in the second quarter."

HEAD COACH MIKE SHERMAN: (on Tom Rossley)

(on how he found out of his return) "All of a sudden I heard him on the head phones and said 'what are you doing back here?' He said he was fine. I asked if he was sure and he said 'yeah.' He said he had clearance, so he was there in the end of the first half."

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok it is not there a 100% clear, I assumed it from Shermans statment here "All of a sudden I heard him on the head phones and said 'what are you doing back here?' He said he was fine. I asked if he was sure and he said 'yeah.' He said he had clearance, so he was there in the end of the first half,,,, and if he was there and he got his comunication system on,,, well what else could he be doing there??

Sorry for that I might be 100% wrong there De Pack..... But the guy was there, again I am not anti Sherman or anti Rossley just because of it, I have been trying to support them, but now it is almost imposible to do so..

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
net said,

"Being detail-oriented is a good thing.

But I have a different take on Sherman. I think one of two things happen with his teams, as they always start slow.

1)He gets into paralysis by analysis. Too much detail, especially with some of the marginal mental types now occupying the NFL. Bates has the right approach, keep is simple for the stupids."

OK..NET..NOW I GET IT....SHERMAN IS A "GENIUS"..BUT THE SLOW ***** PLAYERS IN THE NFL JUST CAN'T SEEM TO COMPREHEND HIM..HE'S LIKE EINSTEIN, OR SOMETHING...(YOU FILL-IN THE BLANKS)

This is so repugnant..

I guess it was a stroke of genius to hire Rossley as his OC....also more brilliance was shown in appointing Slowik...(another supposed genius..)

As a matter of fact, his "genius" is so great that to most people who can't comprehend it....it looks like "stupidity"...

(now I get it net...and thanks..)

Mike Sherman is a clipboard coach who doesn't know how to react or what to do if things do not go according to "his plan"...which is a "genius's plan", according to net....

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with net, that there is nothing wrong with being detail-oriented. Most of the greatest NFL head coaches--especially guys like Bill Walsh, Bill Parcells, and Bill Bellichick--are notoriously detail-oriented, to the point of being weird. But they win ballgames because of it.

Mike Sherman is a good coach and an intelligent man. But he has reached the limits of his coaching ability. He is no better at coaching now than he was in his first season. He's the kind of coach who can take a bad team and make it respectable, or take an average team and make it above average. But I don't think he has much chance of taking a team all the way. This is the NFL, and there are too many coaches who are smarter than him. Sherman's best chances for going all the way were the last two seasons, when he had lots of good players in the prime of their careers. But he couldn't get the team over the hump, and there's little reason to think he will be able to do it in the future.

NCPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"One thing's fer sure - Most of Sherman's firsts..... are not the good kind!
He's essentially killed the Lambeau Mystique and then some......"

How can you kill something that never was? The term "Lambeau Mystique" was probably coined by some announcer (Madden would be my guess), to describe what in essence was a very good run at home by what was a very good team in the mid 90's. If you really want to pinpoint the end of this impressive run , I would point to the night of Randy Moss's coming out party in 1998 against a team coached by none other than Mike Holmgren.

Bucfan219

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NCPackerfan said:
How can you kill something that never was? The term "Lambeau Mystique" was probably coined by some announcer (Madden would be my guess), to describe what in essence was a very good run at home by what was a very good team in the mid 90's. If you really want to pinpoint the end of this impressive run , I would point to the night of Randy Moss's coming out party in 1998 against a team coached by none other than Mike Holmgren.

I think that you're correct in attaching the term ("Mystique") to the good home record over a period of years. Teams that establish a good home record over time do accumulate a kind of "mystique". The team gets used to winning at home, and usually the visiting team has an opportunity to be intimidated by the home record.
Holmgren left GB with a good home record, IIRC, so it could be said that he maintained the "mystique" to a substantial degree. Lately the Packers home record is unspectacular (and I'm acutely aware that that Bucs themselves have put together a couple of seasons of home sub-mediocrity).

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Shield is coming back later than I wish. Between "The Shield" and "Rescue Me", FX has the hottest **** on TV.

When you go something like 36-0 at home, it is a mystique...and as an opponent, I would be intimidated by that record!

Members online

Latest posts