Desmond Bishop....

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all know the history. He was placed on injured reserve by the Packers nearly two years ago. Released by the Packers late last summer. Signed to a one-year deal by the Vikings, then suffered a torn ACL early last season. He's now a free agent. I liked the hard-nosed attitude, run stuffing ability, and football acumen he brought to the field. Would you like to see the Packers sign him? To my eyes, I think he'd be a solid compliment to AJ Hawk in the middle, as long as he's healthy and confident. I doubt that he'll be making more than the veteran minimum salary on a 2-3 year deal, wherever he signs. Would it be worthwhile for the Packers to pick him up on a 2 or 3 year deal at less than $1M/yr?

P.S. - don't move this thread to a different section, Jim. He's a free agent. lol.

P.P.S. - It seems crazy that I've been a member here for 8+ years. Time sure does fly.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

We all know the history. He was placed on injured reserve by the Packers nearly two years ago. Released by the Packers late last summer. Signed to a one-year deal by the Vikings, then suffered a torn ACL early last season. He's now a free agent. I liked the hard-nosed attitude, run stuffing ability, and football acumen he brought to the field. Would you like to see the Packers sign him? To my eyes, I think he'd be a solid compliment to AJ Hawk in the middle, as long as he's healthy and confident. I doubt that he'll be making more than the veteran minimum salary on a 2-3 year deal, wherever he signs. Would it be worthwhile for the Packers to pick him up on a 2 or 3 year deal at less than $1M/yr?

P.S. - don't move this thread to a different section, Jim. He's a free agent. lol.

P.P.S. - It seems crazy that I've been a member here for 8+ years. Time sure does fly.

I`m not sure about the injury though. Wouldn`t it make him a liability ?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
liability? You mean like the other injury prone dudes on the roster? I liked Bishop and had he not tore his hammy he'd probably still be here starting. He was a 3 down backer...AJ Hawk is not. We need a 3 down lb with some coverage ability that way we don't have to watch AJ get torched by running backs and tightends on passing downs. That's a huge reason we play so much dang zone as well.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I loved bishop. Would love a second chance for the guy. Especially at a small price tag. We could ease him back into the game with a low snap count and get his confidence running high, maybe starting in week 4 or 5. Would absolutely love to see the guy back in green and gold where he belongs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about pat angerer from the colts? Still unsigned. And Erin Henderson, although that is very unlikely with his DUIs and then of course Bish. That's about all that's left at the position. Don't know much about angerer. Sounds like he's mostly unsigned for the same reason as Bish-- injuries.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Signing a player with two serious injuries in two years to a team with injury problems over the past several years?

Clay has had some serious injuries, guess we should release him huh? Oh and Aaron Rodgers. That injury last year was inexplicable. Better call Matt Flynn, arod is out the door and he's gonna be our new starter. I can keep going but I wouldn't wanna sound too much like a smartass.

I

Clay has had some serious injuries, guess we should release him huh? Oh and Aaron Rodgers. That injury last year was inexplicable. Better call Matt Flynn, arod is out the door and he's gonna be our new starter. I can keep going but I wouldn't wanna sound too much like a smartass.

heaven forbid !!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
In the past two seasons Bishop has played in 4 games and recorded 5 tackles. Comparing that production with Rodgers and Matthews over the past two seasons, isn't smartass, it's just silly.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the past two seasons Bishop has played in 4 games and recorded 5 tackles. Comparing that production with Rodgers and Matthews over the past two seasons, isn't smartass, it's just silly.

When you're on IR, how are you going to produce? Tell me, if Clay Matthews was on IR, would he have put up any better numbers? And how the hell could Rodgers complete any passes while on IR? Take a look at the last full season Bishop played for the packers. He was good. He still could be. Players get hurt. Before this small string of injuries, he was actually a durable guy. Comparing four games to how many has clay played over that span? And Aaron Rodgers? That's silly.

I

When you're on IR, how are you going to produce? Tell me, if Clay Matthews was on IR, would he have put up any better numbers? And how the hell could Rodgers complete any passes while on IR? Take a look at the last full season Bishop played for the packers. He was good. He still could be. Players get hurt. Before this small string of injuries, he was actually a durable guy. Comparing four games to how many has clay played over that span? And Aaron Rodgers? That's silly.

But Dylan, those last two injuries were not trivial little ones mate. One was an ACL if I`m not mistaken.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said small string, meaning his whole career isn't injury strucken. I didn't say anything about the injuries being little. If he went on IR, obviously not little. I'm just proving my point that bishop used to be known as durable, and now that he got hurt a couple times, people act like his career is over. If AJ Hawk, the most durable guy on the team, tore an ACL, I'm curious to know if he would be "injury prone" also.

I

I said small string, meaning his whole career isn't injury strucken. I didn't say anything about the injuries being little. If he went on IR, obviously not little. I'm just proving my point that bishop used to be known as durable, and now that he got hurt a couple times, people act like his career is over. If AJ Hawk, the most durable guy on the team, tore an ACL, I'm curious to know if he would be "injury prone" also.

Fair enough, I misunderstood your point but I`d still be concerned investing money in him, but thats just my opinion.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough, I misunderstood your point but I`d still be concerned investing money in him, but thats just my opinion.

Me too. I have no idea what kind of shape he's in, where his confidence level is, if he has strength back in his leg or anything. That's why I said a low cash deal. If he was okay with vet min, I'd have no problem with it.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow has anyone ever heard of Brad jones or mike Neal or Nick Perry? But you're ******* Bishop for being hurt? At least you knew Bishop was on the field!! healthy he's still the best mlb on our roster and he was a god blitzer.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow has anyone ever heard of Brad jones or mike Neal or Nick Perry? But you're ******* Bishop for being hurt? At least you knew Bishop was on the field!! healthy he's still the best mlb on our roster and he was a god blitzer.

Thank you. Finally someone who agrees with me. He used to be my favorite packer, so I'm a little biased but the guy was a monster. His natural strength was outstanding.

OP
OP
bozz_2006

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course it's risky signing guys coming off major injuries and reconstructive surgery. On the other hand, in the past three or four years it seems like the surgeons (or at least James Andrews) has gotten the ACL procedure completely dialed, and the physical therapists and trainers are helping to get players back in playing shape more quickly and efficiently than anyone would have thought possible a mere 8-10 years ago. Now I have no idea what kind of shape Bishop is in, but let's say he's on track for a timely and "full" recovery, I still can't imagine anyone jumping to sign him. Wherever he ends up, it will certainly be on the cheap. So why not Green Bay? With the direction our defense is going; very particular responsibilities for OLBs and DEs, I'd guess that it would make a lot of sense to back them up with 3-down type ILBs who are able to fight through blocks, assist run support, cover flats, and force offenses to respect the ILB's ability to stunt and rush. Those needs read like a scouting report on Bishop. If he's healthy enough and strong enough to do what he's done in the past.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers let Bishop walk away after he had the terrible hamstring injury. Like it or not, Thompson won´t bring him back after tearing his ACL as well.

OP
OP
bozz_2006

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And I don't disagree with you. I should mention that my stance on this isn't a "like it or not" scenario. If he is signed, i'd assume that Thompson knows enough about Bishop's health for me to be happy with the signing. If he isn't signed, I'd assume that Thompson knows enough about Bishop's health for me to be happy that we didn't sign him.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
God I love Bishop, and was so sad A) when his whole hamstring ripped off on that preseason game #1 2012 at San Diego.
And B) when the Packers released him.
C) when the Grape Apes brought him there.
D) when he tore his ACL.

But I can't imagine him having any quickness or speed left after those 2 catastrophic combination of injuries.

I hate injuriezzzzzz.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No thanks. We have moved on. Im the biggest AJ hawk hater (I was hating on aj hawk before it was cool ;) ) but he is so rarely injured I wouldnt want to replace him with Bishop. I think bishop might be done or at least close to it.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that hamstring injury did him in. He got released after he should have been healthy and then struggled to earn snaps in Minnesotas crap LB corps before he got hurt again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts