Denzel Perryman.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, I know we really need to compliment Barrington with a coverage linebacker, but man, Perryman's highlights really do remind me of a Probowl caliber ILB. He's could be the Daniels of the second level and add much needed attitude. I don't want to get too hyped on him because he might not last, but check out his highlights and tell me he doesn't compare to Ray Lewis.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unlike Lewis at 6'1", Perryman's measurements at the combine at 5'11" 236 lbs with 32" arm length. A little undersized but not bad. McKinney and Stephone Anthony are the tallest guys at around 6'3" and 240, with Kendricks and Dawson coming at 6'0" and about the same weight as Perryman. Perryman had the highest # of bench presses, so the strength is not a question. If he can run a decent time and do well in the drills he will be hard to pass up if he's still on the board by #30, which he may not be.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For a LB, burst over 10 yards is more important than the 40 time. How fast does he close is the critical question. If Perryman lacks burst then he would be a liability in pass coverage. Running backs would separate from him and covert third down passes too often. If he has a decent burst then he would still be a candidate to go in the second round.

D

Deleted member 6794

I prefer Eric Kendricks as he's capable of covering RBs and TEs. His performance in the bench press at the combine was disappointing though.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kendricks did 19 bench press reps while Perryman did 27, McKinney 16 (yes, 16), S. Anthony 23,
R. Wilson 23 and J. Ryan 20. But Ken****s ran a 4.66 in the 40 yd dash. IMO, strength can be
Developed easier than speed and still prefer Kendricks at this point, but would be probably happy
With either him or Perryman.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be interested in what Perryman can squat and deadlift. His lower body is small and strong. He is a compact powerhouse of a man.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know after watching a crap ton of highlight videos last night three guys really stood out. Perryman, McKinney, and Dawson. McKinney and Dawson looked like they could easily come down and support the run and cover very well. Perryman just looked like a mean thumper. Kendricks just didn't look like he had attitude, but he definitely wasn't as bad as Taiwan Jones.

Taiwan looked super hesitant and almost afraid to hit. After looking at the combine numbers Mike Hull looks like an interesting mid to late round pick. He has interesting size and strength.

D

Deleted member 6794

You know after watching a crap ton of highlight videos last night three guys really stood out. Perryman, McKinney, and Dawson. McKinney and Dawson looked like they could easily come down and support the run and cover very well. Perryman just looked like a mean thumper. Kendricks just didn't look like he had attitude, but he definitely wasn't as bad as Taiwan Jones.

Taiwan looked super hesitant and almost afraid to hit. After looking at the combine numbers Mike Hull looks like an interesting mid to late round pick. He has interesting size and strength.

Kendricks has a great football character and a desire to be great, don't think it's fair to criticize his attitude.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Paul Dawson ran an absolutely awful 4.93, Perryman was a 4.78. The guy who excelled was Vic Beasley. Athletic freak is the word for him: 4.53 40, 35 bench presses, 41" vertical, 130" broad jump, Yeesh.

The guy that intrigues me more and more is Stephone Anthony. 4.56 40, 23 bench presses, 37" vertical, 122" broad jump. He's faster, stronger, more athletic than Kendricks. I really think the packers should have a look at him, especially if he's still there in round 3.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kendricks has a great football character and a desire to be great, don't think it's fair to criticize his attitude.

I didn't mean he wasn't a football player. I was just saying he didn't seem as violent at the point of attack.

Dawson did have a terrible 40 time, but it's more about quickness with a linebacker. And that means he probably drops which is good for us. Beasley won't be there for us. He'll probably go way before #30 now.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Paul Dawson ran an absolutely awful 4.93, Perryman was a 4.78. The guy who excelled was Vic Beasley. Athletic freak is the word for him: 4.53 40, 35 bench presses, 41" vertical, 130" broad jump, Yeesh.

The guy that intrigues me more and more is Stephone Anthony. 4.56 40, 23 bench presses, 37" vertical, 122" broad jump. He's faster, stronger, more athletic than Kendricks. I really think the packers should have a look at him, especially if he's still there in round 3.

Anthony showed up well. Scouts don't know if he really has the football instincts though. He also doesn't shed blocks well.

D

Deleted member 6794

While Anthony is more athletic than Kendricks he doesn't possess the same instincts and doesn't excel in coverage.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wont lie, Dawson's 4.9 40 shocks me. If you watched his highlights and games, he looks more like a 4.4 guy to me. In fact, he runs away from everyone on a couple of pick sixes this past season....

I wonder if hes injured?

H

HardRightEdge

I stated Dawson was among the most overrated players mentioned in these pages. That 40 time speaks for itself. We'll see what he does at his Pro Day. He better show up.

Beasley was out of range at #30 before the Combine; he's way out of range now. Besides, he's projected at OLB. Having bulked up to 246 with 35 lifts, some teams will like him for a 4-3 edge rusher.

My preliminary assessment of Perryman was that he's a box ILB. While we knew he strong and explosive coming in, the athletic measurements come up short. He's a box ILB.

Kendrick's numbers were comparable to Anthony...4.61, 19, 38", 124". We know Kendricks is a football player; we're not so certain about Anthony. Kendricks lifts are a question. But when you look at the tape he flows to the hole and has the technique to make the stop even if he doesn't blow people up. Pat Willis had 22 lifts at his Combine...technique trumps brute force.

If you want a 3-down backer who can stop guys in the hole, has pristine instincts, can run like the wind, and has great feel in coverage, then go draft Pat Willis with the 11th. pick.

So, it's time to fish or cut bait.

Do you want a 2-down guy who will blow up runners from time to time? Then go for Perryman or sign Spikes in FA.

Or do you want a 3-down guy to play the weak side who will flow to ball carrier, track Lynch on a wheel route or Forte out of the backfield, man the middle zone in nickle and dime coverage, and spy the faster QBs? Then go with Kendricks. Barrington takes the strong side.

I made my choice already; the Combine numbers just confirmed it. They were better than I expected.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Or do you want a 3-down guy to play the weak side who will flow to ball carrier, track Lynch on a wheel route or Forte out of the backfield, man the middle zone in nickle and dime coverage, and spy the faster QBs? Then go with Perryman. Barrington takes the strong side.

I guess you meant to say Kendricks there.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dawson and Perryman aren't fast but play physical. McKinney and Kenndricks are faster but play softer IMO. At this pt I'd rather see the Packers take a 2-down run stuffer like Perryman in the second round than draft another Brsd Jones protege. Problem is that this ILB class leaves a lot to be desired.

D

Deleted member 6794

Dawson and Perryman aren't fast but play physical. McKinney and Kenndricks are faster but play softer IMO. At this pt I'd rather see the Packers take a 2-down run stuffer like Perryman in the second round than draft another Brsd Jones protege. Problem is that this ILB class leaves a lot to be desired.

The Packers need to get an ILB capable of playing all three downs and being the lone linebacker in the dime package as I don´t think Barrington is an ideal fit for it. Kendricks is the best one available in this year´s draft.

Members online

Latest posts