Demetri Goodson

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope he improved during the season because I remember him last preseason getting torched repeatedly.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of corners, am I the only one who at this point thinks Shields was grossly over paid? I think about this and understand completely why TT let Davon and Tramon walk. I would think he is a bit gun shy about paying a corner at this point. Can one of you stat wizards tell us where Sam Shields rated out as a CB last year?

I might be expecting too much, but to me he does not seem like a 9 million a year CB at all. Would be interesting to see where he compared to the rest of the league last year.

D

Deleted member 6794

Speaking of corners, am I the only one who at this point thinks Shields was grossly over paid? I think about this and understand completely why TT let Davon and Tramon walk. I would think he is a bit gun shy about paying a corner at this point. Can one of you stat wizards tell us where Sam Shields rated out as a CB last year?

I might be expecting too much, but to me he does not seem like a 9 million a year CB at all. Would be interesting to see where he compared to the rest of the league last year.

I agree that the Packers overpaid for Shields based on last year's production. He ranked only 59th out of 108 cornerbacks in opponent's passer rating (89.9) in 2014 and 51st in yards per cover snap (1.40). On the other hand he only allowed a completion rate of 51.9%, which ranked 11th.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/2014/cap-hit/cornerback/

Initially sorted by cap hit, but you can choose a number of other measures.

I agree that the Packers overpaid for Shields based on last year's production. He ranked only 59th out of 108 cornerbacks in opponent's passer rating (89.9) in 2014 and 51st in yards per cover snap (1.40). On the other hand he only allowed a completion rate of 51.9%, which ranked 11th.

Interesting, so the 4th highest cap hit last year seems like a little bit better than the average CB. At least that is what it seems like to be based on the stats from Captain. Am I right in thinking that if the completion percentage is that low, yet the QB rating is at 90, that basically means that when he does give up completions they are usually for good chunks of yardage and/or TD's. It would seem to be hard to get a 90 passer rating unless with a 50% completion percentage unless you are throwing up big yardage with some touchdowns.

D

Deleted member 6794

Interesting, so the 4th highest cap hit last year seems like a little bit better than the average CB. At least that is what it seems like to be based on the stats from Captain. Am I right in thinking that if the completion percentage is that low, yet the QB rating is at 90, that basically means that when he does give up completions they are usually for good chunks of yardage and/or TD's. It would seem to be hard to get a 90 passer rating unless with a 50% completion percentage unless you are throwing up big yardage with some touchdowns.

Shields gave up five TD passes last season and an average of 15.9 yards per completion. Only eight other corners allowed more YPC.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks guys, it seems McGinn's analysis is pretty much in line with my thoughts about Shields. Lots of talent, not quite living up to it but not bad either.

How does his 5 TD's rate vs. other corners? And where in the heck to find all this information?

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh and on point of Jack's OP, I actually like the swagger, you want that in a CB, however as has been mentioned, talk is cheap. Prove it. When you think of the modern day shutdown corner, it really started with the likes of Primetime, he may of had a big mouth and an over the top ego and personality, but he fully backed it up on the field.

Last edited:

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields got injured during an early game last season (dolphins maybe) before that his play was pretty good. Not 9 mil per good but definitely above average. After the injury he did not look nearly as good and started to regain form as the season progressed.

D

Deleted member 6794

Thanks guys, it seems McGinn's analysis is pretty much in line with my thoughts about Shields. Lots of talent, not quite living up to it but not bad either.

How does his 5 TD's rate vs. other corners? And where in the heck to find all this information?

They were 77 corners who allowed fewer TD passes last season (some of them had significantly fewer targets than Shields though). All informations are coming from Pro Football Focus.

D

Deleted member 6794

Shields got injured during an early game last season (dolphins maybe) before that his play was pretty good. Not 9 mil per good but definitely above average. After the injury he did not look nearly as good and started to regain form as the season progressed.

Shields allowed three of his five TD passes during the first four games.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
?????? I must be missing something.

I just think Rodgers is the kind of guy who holds a grudge. If someone says something the rubs him the wrong way I don't think he can let it go. Maybe what Goodson said didn't rub him the wrong way and everything is cool but if Goodson spoke out of turn Rodgers will let him know somehow.

Sky King

Reaction score
Some DBs do too much jabbering. Jerron McMillian comes to mind. Led the team in bravado during the exhibition season and was shown the door before the season ended. Goodson would be wise to follow Teddy Roosevelt's advice.

H

HardRightEdge

While I don't think Shields has quite played up to his contract, some of these stats can be misleading.

First of all, you have to throw out the nickel and dime corners. They're typically not defending the best receivers, they're mostly playing in the middle of the field, and they're playing in a 5/6 man backfield where there's more help.

Further, cover corners that play in cover 2 schemes have regular top side help. The Packers play a lot of single high safety and are typically toward the top of the league in blitz frequency...the Packer corners are more exposed to long gainers than corners in some other schemes.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I just think Rodgers is the kind of guy who holds a grudge. If someone says something the rubs him the wrong way I don't think he can let it go. Maybe what Goodson said didn't rub him the wrong way and everything is cool but if Goodson spoke out of turn Rodgers will let him know somehow.
Goodson was being interviewed and quoted Rodgers. He didn't go out and hold a press conference. Unless Goodson completely made up this story, I'd be surprised if Rodgers will be upset about this. I think Rodgers has a bit of a chip on his shoulder which he uses for motivation although I really didn't see this on display last year. It usually is directed at outsiders who I think he feels don't give the Packers the respect they deserve. My perceptions only. I rather like it when he shows that chippiness towards outsiders.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think McGinn is spot on and the grade is about right. I've noticed he gives away the inside route in off coverage and looks a little flat-footed playing in zone...lack of focus. He's best in man press coverage.

Does this mean you finally agree with me that giving away the inside route to a receiver with no safety help over the top is a mistake??? ;)

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Goodson can step up, we're a little thin suddenly at CB. Wanting to and actually doing it are not the same thing, however. Hopefully, after the draft, he'll have some competition.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the article and Aaron's thoughts (doubt Goodson would misquote someone as elite as Aaron) prove one thing and one thing alone; the potential is there...whether it comes to be is something completely up to him. Could we be seeing by week 4 that he is gonna be the replacement we desperately needed or will he prove to be a slot DB and Hayward an outside DB....could be either or a new draft pick could come in and out play both.

The good is he seems hungry and desperately willing to battle/fight/claw to get a chance. The good thing is we kept him involved and wouldn't let him go despite full awareness we had a log jam of talent in front of him...well the logs have released. Is he the replacement, who knows...good thing is he believes he is, that's half the battle in front of him.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's all keep one thing in mind about Goodson: he was a 6th round draft pick. Everybody is basing opinions off of what a 6th round pick did in his first ever pre-season. It sounds like, from his own opinion, he improved drastically while serving on the scout squad. That's fantastic and exactly how you want guys to work themselves into the lineup. I don't think any of us have much of a basis yet to assess his chances of working into the lineup, unless someone was at practice every day with the team.

Like the rest of you, I hope that he's got the goods. We'll know more in a couple of months.

D

Deleted member 6794

Let's all keep one thing in mind about Goodson: he was a 6th round draft pick. Everybody is basing opinions off of what a 6th round pick did in his first ever pre-season. It sounds like, from his own opinion, he improved drastically while serving on the scout squad. That's fantastic and exactly how you want guys to work themselves into the lineup. I don't think any of us have much of a basis yet to assess his chances of working into the lineup, unless someone was at practice every day with the team.

Like the rest of you, I hope that he's got the goods. We'll know more in a couple of months.

In addition fans have to realize that he only played two years of competitive football before being drafted last season. There's a lot of room for him to improve, hopefully he can make a big step in 2015.

Members online

Latest posts