Demarious Randall

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read the article as well and completely disagree that the Packers top priority is to re-sign Hayward. I would like them to either bring back Neal or Perry but other than that I don't consider any of the team's free agent a must to keep.

I'm perfectly fine keeping Perry. I personally think he's gotten a bad rap overall. He was drafted out of position, and yes the injuries have been a nuisance but the guy can rush the passer. He's absolutely a one trick pony but unless some 4-3 team comes calling I could easily see him back at a really good price. As long as we don't ask him to cover anybody, and I mean anybody, and just let him do what he does best I'm good with him. This is all predicated on him staying healthy which has been very difficult for him.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm perfectly fine keeping Perry. I personally think he's gotten a bad rap overall. He was drafted out of position, and yes the injuries have been a nuisance but the guy can rush the passer. He's absolutely a one trick pony but unless some 4-3 team comes calling I could easily see him back at a really good price. As long as we don't ask him to cover anybody, and I mean anybody, and just let him do what he does best I'm good with him. This is all predicated on him staying healthy which has been very difficult for him.

I would be fine with the Packers re-signing Perry to a moderate contract as well but expect him wanting to play for a 4-3 defense.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would be fine with the Packers re-signing Perry to a moderate contract as well but expect him wanting to play for a 4-3 defense.
His value is definitely higher to a 4-3 team, which is why I don't see him back. At least we will hopefully get a fairly decent comp pick out of it.

D

Deleted member 6794

His value is definitely higher to a 4-3 team, which is why I don't see him back. At least we will hopefully get a fairly decent comp pick out of it.

Hopefully we don't end up with decent compensation picks in 2017 again as that would mean Thompson not using free agency once again.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

While you know that I n was advocating for the Packers to select Kendricks there was no way for Thompson to know that Rollins would still be around in the second round at the time he selected Randall.
I tried to give Thompson credit for Rollins and you won't let me!

So, let's assume Rollins was off the board. Even without him, the idea of Hayward playing on the perimeter for the whole season, instead of on base D at the start of the year and filling in thereafter, does not look so unappealing as Palmer at ILB in the first half of the season and Matthews at ILB in the second half.

And had Rollins been off the board, who knows what player might have been taken. Another promising CB? An O-Lineman, perhaps, that would have been quite handy this past year and perhaps next, while being coached up for 2017 when the O-Line free agency hits? A TE with some speed? An OLB in preparation for the free agency upon us and Peppers and D. Jones FA after this season? The possibilities are nearly endless.

Going forward, a Kendricks pick looks like it would have been more advantageous with or without the benefit of Rollins.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

At least we will hopefully get a fairly decent comp pick out of [Perry].
Chances range between very slim and none, leaning toward the none end of the scale, whether Thompson signs anybody or not. He's a first round pick who has done very little over 4 years whether one applies the injury excuse or not. He qualifies as a bust. Busts do not get paid well in the second contract, even if somebody believes he was out of position, which he was. And FA compensation determination includes a significant weighting of the contract the player signs.

It's not just that he was somewhat clueless in coverage, by the way, which the Packers don't ask their OLBs to handle all that much. He was subpar holding the edge.

Neal might earn a little something in FA and has a better chance to yield a pick. Eric Walden yielded a 5th. rounder when he signed that $4 mil/year deal with Indy. I'm sure I'm in the minority in thinking Neal should be brought back if possible.

Hayward might yield a good pick depending on the kind of deal he signs.

D

Deleted member 6794

Or he found a guy like Peppers who doesn't count against the comp picks

It´s possible that some players at positions of need for the Packers will get cut before the start of free agency but I don´t expect any of them to offer a significant upgrade. As of right now there aren´t any interesting options available.

I tried to give Thompson credit for Rollins and you won't let me!

So, let's assume Rollins was off the board. Even without him, the idea of Hayward playing on the perimeter for the whole season, instead of on base D at the start of the year and filling in thereafter, does not look so unappealing as Palmer at ILB in the first half of the season and Matthews at ILB in the second half.

And had Rollins been off the board, who knows what player might have been taken. Another promising CB? An O-Lineman, perhaps, that would have been quite handy this past year and perhaps next, while being coached up for 2017 when the O-Line free agency hits? A TE with some speed? An OLB in preparation for the free agency upon us and Peppers and D. Jones FA after this season? The possibilities are nearly endless.

Going forward, a Kendricks pick looks like it would have been more advantageous with or without the benefit of Rollins.

There´s no doubt in my mind that Thompson deserves credit for selecting Rollins. While it´s impossible to know what would have happend if TT had decided to go in a different direction during last year´s draft I´m convinced the Packers would have been in serious trouble in the secondary if they hadn´t selected any cornerback early though.

Chances range between very slim and none, leaning toward the none end of the scale, whether Thompson signs anybody or not. He's a first round pick who has done very little over 4 years whether one applies the injury excuse or not. He qualifies as a bust. Busts do not get paid well in the second contract, even if somebody believes he was out of position, which he was. And FA compensation determination includes a significant weighting of the contract the player signs.

It's not just that he was somewhat clueless in coverage, by the way, which the Packers don't ask their OLBs to handle all that much. He was subpar holding the edge.

I expect a team playing a 4-3 defense to offer Perry a contract averaging several millions per season.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

There´s no doubt in my mind that Thompson deserves credit for selecting Rollins. While it´s impossible to know what would have happend if TT had decided to go in a different direction during last year´s draft I´m convinced the Packers would have been in serious trouble in the secondary if they hadn´t selected any cornerback early though.
While Hayward should not be anybody's long term solution at perimeter corner, the liabilities he showed at the position pale in comparison to the issues at ILB.

D

Deleted member 6794

While Hayward should not be anybody's long term solution at perimeter corner, the liabilities he showed at the position pale in comparison to the issues at ILB.

That´s true but without Randall and Rollins the Packers would have had to start Gunter, Hyde or some other corner on the perimeter when Shields missed some games. That could have turned into a disaster.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I expect a team playing a 4-3 defense to offer Perry a contract averaging several millions per season.
I highly doubt that. Perry's situation is similar to that of Jerry Hughes, a #31 pick for Indy, to take one example.

Indy gave up on him after 3 years of undistinguished play and traded him to Buffalo for Kelvin Sheppard. Buffalo thought enough of Sheppard to draft Alonzo in the first round, rendering him expendable. Now, we don't know what Hughes would have gotten in free agency, but if Buffalo paid for him with Sheppard, I don't see that equating to "several million" if by that you mean at least $3 mil.

Can you illustrate a first round FA with a 4-year-bust resume that was paid that kind of money? I can't think of one. Maybe there's a first round QB who got some money thrown at him, but that's a different kettle of fish.

I expect we'll see a repeat of this scenario with Datone Jones after 2016. After 3 years in the system and his tweener profile, that's an unlikely proposition. Reconstituted as OLB, he's now an edge rusher with little to recommend him in that role. Serviceable rotational guy. Expecting a "fourth year jump" is another case of wishful thinking.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

That´s true but without Randall and Rollins the Packers would have had to start Gunter, Hyde or some other corner on the perimeter when Shields missed some games. That could have turned into a disaster.
Using that kind of 20/20 hindsight with a single-season horizon, Thompson should have used a second high pick on a WR.

D

Deleted member 6794

Using that kind of 20/20 hindsight with a single-season horizon, Thompson should have used a second high pick on a WR.

It was pretty obvious at the time of the 2015 draft that the Packers were in need of at least one, maybe two cornerbacks to play snaps during the season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't there rumors of M. Bennet being cut by the Bears? Or is he entering FA? I haven't looked into him much but seems to me could be a decent fit if he can keep his head clear, fresh start?

Any TE's on anyone's radar that are rumored to be cut or possibly cut? Be the best form of filling a void because we would still get comp picks in 2017 :D

D

Deleted member 6794

Isn't there rumors of M. Bennet being cut by the Bears? Or is he entering FA? I haven't looked into him much but seems to me could be a decent fit if he can keep his head clear, fresh start?

Any TE's on anyone's radar that are rumored to be cut or possibly cut? Be the best form of filling a void because we would still get comp picks in 2017 :D

There are rumors that the Bears will cut Bennett. Unfortunately he was one of only a handful of tight ends averaging less yards per catch than Rodgers last season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are rumors that the Bears will cut Bennett. Unfortunately he was one of only a handful of tight ends averaging less yards per catch than Rodgers last season.

Stats...can lie. I still think Bennett is a much better option offensively in the passing game than Rodgers...to me though he is like Henry, an upgrade but not necessarily the answer.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully we don't end up with decent compensation picks in 2017 again as that would mean Thompson not using free agency once again.
"We're not going to chase ghosts because we think (a perceived) clock is ticking." -Ted Thompson

Signing free agents just for the sake of signing free agents doesn't make a whole lot of sense. And neither does signing someone like Brandon Spikes..But if you can find a guy like Julius Peppers, and better yet he doesn't count against the compensatory pick scale, then sure, I'm in.

D

Deleted member 6794

Signing free agents just for the sake of signing free agents doesn't make a whole lot of sense. And neither does signing someone like Brandon Spikes..But if you can find a guy like Julius Peppers, and better yet he doesn't count against the compensatory pick scale, then sure, I'm in.

I agree that I don´t want Thompson to sign free agents just for the sake of doing it. But I don´t think either Trevathan or Ladarius Green would fall into that category.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that I don´t want Thompson to sign free agents just for the sake of doing it. But I don´t think either Trevathan or Ladarius Green would fall into that category.

Honestly we land one of these two and I'd be happy...we over pay for that one, though and I say pass. I never want to see us reach either in skill level or money wise in FA. I am such a big fan of FA, when used correctly...we grab one of these two guys (especially Trevathan) I'm breathing easier and may even be able to flip over my draft board (captain will get this haha!)

D

Deleted member 6794

Honestly we land one of these two and I'd be happy...we over pay for that one, though and I say pass. I never want to see us reach either in skill level or money wise in FA. I am such a big fan of FA, when used correctly...we grab one of these two guys (especially Trevathan) I'm breathing easier and may even be able to flip over my draft board (captain will get this haha!)

I don´t want Thompson to overpay for a free agent either but am hoping that he will be able to improve inside linebacker and tight end with a player signing for a reasonable deal. That would make selecting the best player during this year´s draft that much easier.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed! I just want to see the headline in the news "Trevathan set to visit Green Bay" that storyline will tell me TT is at least trying. I know we may not take him if it turns into a bidding war because TT doesn't flip out and overbid for anyone...but it means he is in the game. The sad thing is though I think someday we all will learn more about the TT days and be surprised he may have been more active behind the scenes than we know...albeit extremely passive (frustratingly so at times for us fans).

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm really curious how the staff and mgmt feel that the bottom third of the roster and the practice squad players have improved. If we see Thompson actively pursuing free agents that would tell me that the development hasn't been very encouraging. I'm a little concerned with all the position coaches changes.

andeftw

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We're on the same page for Green, I really hope we make a hard push for him, especially looking at the lack of athletic TEs in the draft that can come in and have an immediate impact.
I think it'll take a significant contract to grab Trevathan though. He's by far the best ILB in FA and there's plenty of teams with a need at the position and more cap space than us (i.e. Bears).

D

Deleted member 6794

We're on the same page for Green, I really hope we make a hard push for him, especially looking at the lack of athletic TEs in the draft that can come in and have an immediate impact.
I think it'll take a significant contract to grab Trevathan though. He's by far the best ILB in FA and there's plenty of teams with a need at the position and more cap space than us (i.e. Bears).

Mostly agree with your post but I expect it will take a significant contract to sign Ladarius Green as well.

Members online

Latest posts