Deja Raji

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hes a need at NT for us. I'd also like to see us bring back Guion too.

This will most likely be Raji's final chance in the NFL. So who knows, maybe he plays big for us knowing that. Its win/win either way because he'll come cheap.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hes a need at NT for us. I'd also like to see us bring back Guion too.

This will most likely be Raji's final chance in the NFL. So who knows, maybe he plays big for us knowing that. Its win/win either way because he'll come cheap.

He wasn´t motivated in 2013 playing for a contract. I will question his motivation until proven wrong by his play.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was excited for the possibility of Vince Wilfork, but not that's not happening so I'm looking forward to seeing if Khyri Thompson can play. I'm not excited about Raji since he hasn't done anything in two years.

D

Deleted member 6794

I was excited for the possibility of Vince Wilfork, but not that's not happening so I'm looking forward to seeing if Khyri Thompson can play. I'm not excited about Raji since he hasn't done anything in two years.

Thornton was terrible during last year´s camp and his season ending injury probably saved him from being cut. He has a long way to go before even being active on game day. At 6-3, 304, he won´t be the solution for the Packers woes at NT.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thornton was terrible during last year´s camp and his season ending injury probably saved him from being cut. He has a long way to go before even being active on game day. At 6-3, 304, he won´t be the solution for the Packers woes at NT.

He has a long way to go, but it seems like he has finally taken the first step. According to several sources he reported badly out of shape last year. That might explain why he looked like a bust. McCarthy said that he "really turned the corner in the weight and conditioning part". So hopefully he will report for camp in shape and work his butt off to show that he belongs in the NFL.

D

Deleted member 6794

He has a long way to go, but it seems like he has finally taken the first step. According to several sources he reported badly out of shape last year. That might explain why he looked like a bust. McCarthy said that he "really turned the corner in the weight and conditioning part". So hopefully he will report for camp in shape and work his butt off to show that he belongs in the NFL.

I have a hard time trusting someone who showed up out of shape for his rookie season before I see him proving it on the field.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a hard time trusting someone who showed up out of shape for his rookie season before I see him proving it on the field.

Exactly. I'm not counting on someone who can't show up in shape with millions of dollars on the line, anymore than I'd trust someone stupid enough to risk millions because he just had to have that joint the night before he knew he was getting tested at the combine or something.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree! It seems like bad pre-draft due-diligence caused us to pick this guy. But at least Mike McCarthy said that he turned the corner, so maybe he will contribute this year.

RyanO4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully he can contribute, but I'm quite skeptical. I don't want to reference Justin Harrell, but I think Thornton might be another swing and miss for TT like Harrell was.

Pack12TX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully he can contribute, but I'm quite skeptical. I don't want to reference Justin Harrell, but I think Thornton might be another swing and miss for TT like Harrell was.
Just when I had the memory of the Justin Harrell bust out of my mind.......

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raji signed for one-year $3.5mn deal that could be worth up to $4mn with incentives....how does Raji get almost as much as Knighton? Raji is a guy who has lived on "potential" for years. Knighton has been one of the best NTs in the NFL. I'm very confused on this.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raji signed for one-year $3.5mn deal that could be worth up to $4mn with incentives....how does Raji get almost as much as Knighton? Raji is a guy who has lived on "potential" for years. Knighton has been one of the best NTs in the NFL. I'm very confused on this.

Don't blame you if you consider this vague or even lame as an answer, but probably just a case of different teams and different situations.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Knighton probably could have received more money, but he had issues keeping his weight in check. Knighton signed a prove it deal too.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Knighton probably could have received more money, but he had issues keeping his weight in check. Knighton signed a prove it deal too.

This and I'd heard he has a few friends with the Redskins. All in all, enough to keep the price down.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack paid too much for Raji. With his lack of production he should have been given a smaller deal than Guion. The last time Raji was on the field in 2013 he was pitifully out of shape and basically useless. TT gave Raji nearly 4 million and let House go for a little more than that. I don't get it. While House is no star he has way more talent at this point than a guy who averaged 1 tackle per game in 2013.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Let me get this straight...Knighton played two years in Denver at a level that Raji has sustained for half a season over his entire career and him being overweight reduced his pay to barely above a much worse player? Because that's the honest truth. Knighton is a far better player than Raji. Raji played DT well five years ago and has underwhelmed since. One off-season of weight issues shouldn't be worse than five years of non-existent on-field impact.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The Pack overpaid for both. They better produce.
I hope both of these clowns are on a very short leash and have no guarantee money. I don't trust either one of these guys. I hope Thompson finds someone good in the draft at NT.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol at people writing off the signings. Guion had a career year last season while Raji was hit with the injury stick. Had Guion not gotten into trouble, he probably would have gotten a better deal. Raji knows he needs to prove it this season or get the boot forever. I like these signings as it now frees up other positions for TT to look at come draft time.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raji knows that this will be his final shot in the NFL. If he does poorly this time around, he'll be out of the league when the year is up. So knowing that, who knows...maybe he plays well for us because hes honestly fighting for his Football career/life right now.

All of that is a dynamic that I do not see being discussed. I think its important.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me get this straight...Knighton played two years in Denver at a level that Raji has sustained for half a season over his entire career and him being overweight reduced his pay to barely above a much worse player? Because that's the honest truth. Knighton is a far better player than Raji. Raji played DT well five years ago and has underwhelmed since. One off-season of weight issues shouldn't be worse than five years of non-existent on-field impact.

You know, I've never seen Knighton moved out of position either.

D

Deleted member 6794

I was surprised by the contract Knighton signed as well but we don´t know what factored into his decision to sign for that kind of money. Taking only Raji´s production into consideration I agree that Thompson overpaid to retain his services.

Pack paid too much for Raji. With his lack of production he should have been given a smaller deal than Guion. The last time Raji was on the field in 2013 he was pitifully out of shape and basically useless. TT gave Raji nearly 4 million and let House go for a little more than that. I don't get it. While House is no star he has way more talent at this point than a guy who averaged 1 tackle per game in 2013.

House got offered a multi-year deal averaging more than $6 million per season without having a ton of experience. I´m fine with Thompson not offering him a similar deal. I like the Packers offering Raji another prove it deal but I agree the team overpaid for him.

lol at people writing off the signings. Guion had a career year last season while Raji was hit with the injury stick.

Guion was serviceable last season but while it maybe was a career year for him he´s an average NT at best.

Raji knows that this will be his final shot in the NFL. If he does poorly this time around, he'll be out of the league when the year is up. So knowing that, who knows...maybe he plays well for us because hes honestly fighting for his Football career/life right now.

That didn´t help in 2013 either when he was playing for a contract.

Members online

Latest posts