1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Deion Jones. Remember me mention him?

Discussion in 'Draft Talk' started by Vrill, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    That is beastmode fast, holy crap!

3. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    At that speed, he'd probably be the fastest player on our entire defense, LOL!

4. thisisnate

thisisnate Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +507
    don't make me invoke the sesame street count again

5. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    Whatever. This is actually huge news that could very much affect our pick at #27. Nobody expected Jones to run that fast. So if his stock rises, this means we might have a legit chance at getting either Ragland, Lee or this guy at #27 (this is all assuming TT wants to go ILB in the 1st)

In other words, the quantity of good ILB's may have just grown by +1.

6. Patriotplayer90

Patriotplayer90 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +342
    I have the feeling he lost some weight, as that was much faster than his combine time, and he improved his vertical by a few inches, as well. He was only 222 at the combine.

7. thisisnate

thisisnate Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +507
    was a joke
    triple post
    he looks good

8. Wynnebeck

Wynnebeck Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +61
    Im starting to think ILB in the 1st round might not be a bad choice. I'd take any of these 3 if I could.

9. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,226
    Deep DLine draft. Maybe deepest ever. Guys going late in first better than top 15 guys in other years. Raji steps away from the game. TT always drafts BPA. I think most likely there will be a top DT available and thats where we go with our first pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +269
    [​IMG]

11. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,655
    There´s absolutely no way Deion Jones should be drafted in the first round just because of his 40 time. Pro Football Focus ranked him 128th out of 143 linebackers in the draft class in 2015. According to them abstains from contact more than you’d like to see from a linebacker, while a number of coverage busts led to a -7.3 grade in coverage. In addition he had 17 missed tackles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +331
    I like the guy, but 1st round. Nope, agree!

13. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,655
    I don´t want the Packers to draft him at all because of his deficiencies in coverage.

14. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +331
    Depending how the draft unfolds, I wouldn't be against him say 3rd round on. However, someone will take a flyer on him I bet in the 2nd...I think it's safe to say he will not be a Packer for the reason you don't want to draft him, I don't see TT rating him a 1st or 2nd round talent.

15. Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +269

One mock has him falling to GB in the third round:

http://thepackerholic.com/green-bay-packers-mock-draft-2/

The speed is nice, but the physicality (or lack thereof) is a concern. Interesting that they think he might make a better inside backer than outside.

16. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,655
    With him not excelling in coverage I don´t see him being a fit for the Packers needs at inside linebacker. He for sure has the speed to do it but it seems he lacks the instincts.

17. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +331
    I agree, but I'd rather have a guy that can play catch up better than Ryan or Barrington trying to cover :D

18. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,655
    No, I´d rather have an inside linebacker actually able to cover RBs and TEs.

19. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +331
    You are missing my point. We don't currently have that. And let's say we fail to grab one in the draft...but come the 3rd round or even 4th and he is still there. I'd say well worth the pick, he has the motor to fly....more than can be said by others. This is not me advocating he is the best option...shoot I'd say there are easily a half dozen or so above him that fit us better....but his speed is something we cannot say we even have a hint of for ILB.

20. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,655
    I get that Jones is fast but it won´t help improve the Packers defense if he doesn´t possess the instincts necessary to cover RBs or TEs as well as the physicality to bring them down.

21. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +331
    I agree, I guess I see it as this....worst case (and I'd be pissed if unfolded) we don't get a true good coverage guy....someone like Jones that can run with but not break up or intercept in coverage due to lack of skills is better than Ryan and Barrington trying to trudge around and not able to keep up.

Ryan I actually think is good enough to shadow or cover 1/2 of the TE's in the league (the RR types) and some RBs...his motor is non-stop and it truly overcomes some of his skills which he naturally lacks in...but he can never make up for not having speed. Ryan and Barrington cannot tackle what they can't catch...at least Jones or someone similar would be there to "maybe" make the tackle.

Again I'm there with you though, we would be wasting a pick on him before the late 3rd round...and really personally I say 4th round...but he won't be there by then I suspect.

22. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,631
    So you aren't concerned about coverage ability as long as they can run the guy down. Sounds like another position Janis should apply for. Use his tackling ability for more than punt coverage.

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +331
    Given the two options......between someone who can't keep up to be around him to make the tackle and someone that can play catch up most definitely.

Read my other posts though, I don't want us to waste a pick on him and think we cured our ILB issue, because he wouldn't do that.

24. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,631
    I did. If coverage and tackling are the concern then just fill the spot with a safety.

25. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    His senior year at LSU, Deion Jones had 100 tackles, 5 sacks and two INT's (one returned for a pick six)

And he'd get the coaching he needs in the NFL. I think his upside is enormous. Harness that speed with what he needs to do in the NFL, and you have a potential super star on your hands.

His father played in the NFL for the Cowboys. Robert Jones. He was an ILB too. In fact, he was named after Deion Sanders, LOL.