Define what a "successful" season for A-Rod would be

Reaction score
I don't think anyone has real expectations of Rodgers coming in and putting up equal numbers to that of Brett last season. It really isn't fair to Aaron if he is judged based on the season Favre had, since last season itself was one of Favre's better years statistically...

So, the question that I think is interesting is what do you think, stats wise, would constitute a "successful" season for A-Rod?

I don't think Rodgers will do as badly as a rookie might because he has had time to get familiar with this offense and understand/get adjusted to the pro level.

At the same time, Rodgers is his first year as a starter so I do expect some (minor) struggles.

Also, I expect McCarthy to run the ball a bit more than last year, but still be a pass-first team so I'll say a successful season for A-Rod (speaking statistically) would be getting at least: 3,200 Passing Yards, 65% completion percentage, 22 TDs, 17 INTs (hopefully less), and leading the team to 9 wins (at least).

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
62% completion percentage. If he has that...I think the other stuff will fall into place.

Twizz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the begning they were a past first team, with the rbs we have we could take a lot of pressure of Arod by running alot and play action

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
62% completion percentage. If he has that...I think the other stuff will fall into place.

Wow, I completely forgot about completion percentage, I'll edit my opening post to reflect that.

I say a 65% completion percentage would be a success.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the begning they were a past first team, with the rbs we have we could take a lot of pressure of Arod by running alot and play action

Ahaaa - but that's just what they would expect us to do. So knowing that, ARod should pass as much or more than Favre. But wait, if they know we know that then we should run. BUT if we know that they know that we know then maybe he should pass. Although - if they know that we know that they know....

I think Rodgers can run the Packers offense much the same as Favre did. When they need to pass they'll pass and when the want to run they'll run. Maybe it won't be as electrifyingly exciting as before but I feel it will be just as effective.

A successful season for Rodgers et al would be a Super Bowl victory, just as it is any other season.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Consistent improvement over the year.

It's likely A-rod will have some dud games in the first half, but as long as he improves over the season and peaks at the end of the season entering the PLAYOFFS, that is a successful year for Aaron Rodgers.

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, staying healthy for all 16 games. Secondly, keep the Packers in every game and keep the errors to a minimum. The statistics and wins will come if that happens. I see A Rod as being as good or better than any QB in the NFC North. I do think the Packers need to bring in a veteran presence to back up Rodgers, preferrably someone that knows the WCO. I also think TT should draft another QB in this draft to help push A Rod competitively down the road.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Andy hit it on the head - at least as far as Packer fans have come to expect - "staying healthy for 16 games." Green Bay fans are NOT ready for the QB carousel that so many other towns see every year...

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly? Stay healthy, show improvement, and don't singlehandedly lose us games. That is all I want from him this year.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
leading the team to 9 wins (at least)[/b].

stats aside, I'll be looking at wins. We have a good team. I'd like to see us win at least 9 wins in his first year as starter. That's the yardstick I'll measure him against.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides a Super Bowl, I expect him to stay healthy. That's the biggest question mark about A-Rod, at least from my perspective.

2, he needs to win games, and not be the guy who "loses" games. Yeah, football's a team sport, but if he throws a late pick that ends up changing the outcome, fan's are gonna be p.o.'ed.

3, isn't 65% pretty effing high for a first-year starter? :D I mean, Brett had a GREAT final year, and was 66% for '07. And he was only 61.4 on average for his entire career.

Anyway, I think I'll just stay away from statistical expectiations for now and set them at wins(at least 10 regular season, and at least 1 postseason) and healthy games(at least 14, and then the full postseason) .

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Besides a Super Bowl, I expect him to stay healthy. That's the biggest question mark about A-Rod, at least from my perspective.

2, he needs to win games, and not be the guy who "loses" games. Yeah, football's a team sport, but if he throws a late pick that ends up changing the outcome, fan's are gonna be p.o.'ed.

3, isn't 65% pretty effing high for a first-year starter? :D I mean, Brett had a GREAT final year, and was 66% for '07. And he was only 61.4 on average for his entire career.

Anyway, I think I'll just stay away from statistical expectiations for now and set them at wins(at least 10 regular season, and at least 1 postseason) and healthy games(at least 14, and then the full postseason) .

Yes, 65% is high. If our running game fails and we're facing a lot of 3rd-and-longs, 65% would be a fantasy.

Favre hit 66% last year because he was the 2nd best QB in '07. It was an amazing year for Favre.

Only 7 QBs in the NFL last year had 65%+.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anything short of a Wild card in the NFC, even with A-Rod in his first starts is a failure. Like it or not. Now will I be upset if we don't make 9 wins? No, he gets at least this year to figure things out, but we were in the NFC Champ last year. Other than Favre who have we lost? ..... Exactly, if A-Rod is a good QB he should be able to step in and get at least 9 Wins in the NFC this year.

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3,100 passing yards 60% or higher completion percentage. around 20td's 10 int. prolly gonna get some rushing yards to id say around 250 rushing yards 2 td's

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Superbowl

The way i see it is :

Any Team / Player = Successful season = SB

Any Team / Player = Unsuccessful season = No SB

No matter how good you do season your number one objective is the SB itself if you don't gain your objective your not successful

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Superbowl

The way i see it is :

Any Team / Player = Successful season = SB

Any Team / Player = Unsuccessful season = No SB

No matter how good you do season your number one objective is the SB itself if you don't gain your objective your not successful

I think '07 was a very successful season and I'll always look back at it fondly.

Of course, would be nice to have our 4th.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay has only made what, 4 Super Bowls out of what 42? That means a success rate of 9.5 % for the franchise. I don't rate success based on Super Bowls too many fluke things can happen.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think 20 to 22 touchdown passes with 10 to 15 INT's, over 3,000 yards passing and 60% completion percentage.

That'd be a pretty solid 1st year in my opinion. Probably a Pro Bowl in the NFC.

Most importantly though Rodgers and the Packers have to be playing in the playoffs this year.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the kid starts all 16 games and we go 8-8, I'll consider it a successful season for Rodgers. Now, for the WHOLE team, I think 10 wins would be a successful season.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The ability to notice when he is forcing things...And then the mind set to NOT do it..The mentality to BE COACHED and not have a chip on his shoulder..

Health wise, I HOPE he remains healthy, cuz if he goes down I think we are screwed

I think some where near 24 tds, under 15 tds, around a 55-60% rate, along with him running for some yardage should be good enough for this team to make the playoffs..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts