Defensive Line is on "Life Support"

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW, IMO Thompson's personality and his public persona had been pretty well revealed to us before 2008: I don't think it was an encounter with any member of the press that causes Thompson's unease with public speaking. I think that's just him.
I believe that it all started when Thompson cut Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle in 2005. It stunned a lot of fans and media for two reasons: #1 they were our starting guards; and #2 Thompson did do or say much to defend his decisions.

We can argue the merits of releasing those veterans, but Thompson etched his personna into the Wisconsin media back in 2005, well before the Favre saga of 2008.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you are as spot on with your analysis of Jones as you were on this draftee:

And I'm sure you're hoping that too. (I added the underline for fun! And to be fair, you were right in using the word, "embarrassing", although I think it may have been misdirected!;) )
You know how many times I could do this to you or any other "sports expert" in hindsight? How long did it take you to look that up? Lmao wayyy too long bro but point taken

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
You know how many times I could do this to you or any other "sports expert" in hindsight? How long did it take you to look that up? Lmao wayyy too long bro but point taken
First, I challenge you find something I posted that was so far off. Of course I've posted opinions that turned out to be wrong, but please go ahead and find something comparable. If Matthews plays another 6 or so seasons he's likely headed for the Pro Football HOF so again, read what you wrote about him and then find something I posted that comes close to being that wrong. And take as long as you like.;)

Second, how long did it take me to look it up? That's an interesting/curious comeback since I posted it about 7 hours after your first post on this thread on Jones - it's not like it was days, weeks or longer. In fact I was on this forum a couple of hours before your posts on Jones and then came back last night and posted on the Atrium and then saw your post. And I actually saw your posts on Matthews previously and was reminded of them after seeing your "analysis" of Jones. And frankly, if you hadn't attempted to "school" the rest of us on your football acumen ("Let the big boys talk", etc.) I probably wouldn't have noticed those posts on Matthews.

Third, at least three posters rated my post "funny". That's what I intended, so lighten up bro.:D

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, I challenge you find something I posted that was so far off. Of course I've posted opinions that turned out to be wrong, but please go ahead and find something comparable. If Matthews plays another 6 or so seasons he's likely headed for the Pro Football HOF so again, read what you wrote about him and then find something I posted that comes close to being that wrong. And take as long as you like.;)

Second, how long did it take me to look it up? That's an interesting/curious comeback since I posted it about 7 hours after your first post on this thread on Jones - it's not like it was days, weeks or longer. In fact I was on this forum a couple of hours before your posts on Jones and then came back last night and posted on the Atrium and then saw your post. And I actually saw your posts on Matthews previously and was reminded of them after seeing your "analysis" of Jones. And frankly, if you hadn't attempted to "school" the rest of us on your football acumen ("Let the big boys talk", etc.) I probably wouldn't have noticed those posts on Matthews.

Third, at least three posters rated my post "funny". That's what I intended, so lighten up bro.:D
I don't know about all that other crazy talk cause ain't nobody got time fo dat, but I did think it was funny bro haha

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PACKERS

Jones quick to fit in

The first-round draft pick has no problem with the playbook.

PETE DOUGHERTY

Green Bay Press-Gazette

GREEN BAY — The lasting impression of the Green Bay Packers’ 2012 season was Colin Kaepernick gashing their defense for 444 total yards while helping put up 45 points in the divisional round of the NFC playoffs.

The San Francisco 49ers quarterback beat the Packers with his arm and legs, and his running came in two forms: scrambling and in the read option.

The Packers’ season-ending blowout loss left general manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy determined to get more athletic on defense and led directly to Thompson using his most prized offseason asset, his first-round draft pick at No. 26 overall, on UCLA defensive lineman Datone Jones.

Thompson had other viable options — most notably, a highly regarded 320pound defensive lineman in North Carolina’s Sylvester Williams. But he went for Jones, who at 6-3⅞ and 285 pounds is a significantly lighter but longer and more athletic front-line defender. It was a direct response to that playoff loss and desire for players who have a better shot at chasing down the Colin Kaepernicks and Robert Griffin IIIs of the NFL.

Lou Spanos, who was Jones’ defensive

Please see JONES, Page B4

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Photos by H. MARC LARSON — Green Bay Press-Gazette

Defensive end Datone Jones, who is well-schooled in the 3-4 scheme, goes through drills Friday, the start of the three-day rookie minicamp.

Article Continued Below
See JONES on Page B04

Jones

Continued from Page B1

coordinator at UCLA last season, watched that Packers- 49ers playoff game and is well aware of the threat Kaepernick and his ilk pose for NFL defenses. Spanos was an assistant defensive coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers from 1995 through 2008, and Washington from ’09 through ’11. In his first season on the UCLA staff last year, he implemented the Dom Capers-**** LeBeau 3-4 scheme that Capers has been running as the Packers’ defensive coordinator since 2009.

Spanos understood why Thompson drafted Jones.

“Oh yeah, one of the things about Datone, we played quarterback read (option) teams like Nebraska, Houston and Arizona State,” Spanos said. “He does a great job of bending low and attacking and being disruptive in the backfield. In all those games he made impact plays throughout the game, created turnovers, safeties, fumbles. He plays with extremely low pad level.”

Jones ran the 40 in 4.80 seconds, excellent for an interior defensive lineman, which he is as a 3-4 end who will move to tackle in the nickel and dime personnel groups. The 4.80 time is as fast as some of the Packers’ outside linebackers.

“(Jones) has the burst and acceleration where on the short stuff and the stuff to the edge, he can get there, he can make plays away (from his side),” Spanos said. “If it’s a foot race (with Kaepernick or RGIII) he can’t (win), but if the quarterback is changing directions and all that, and Datone’s running, he can make plays anywhere on the field. He’s athletic. He was in our goal-line package on offense — backfield, tight end, you name it.”

Jones’ first Packers practice was Friday at their rookie minicamp, and he had a jump on the rest of the rookies because he played in essentially the same 3-4 scheme last season.

Jones said when he opened Capers’ defensive playbook Thursday night, he knew most of the terminology and cruised through the early installations.

“For me it’s like, go to install four and five, because I know the first three installs off the top of my head,” he said. “Let me start learning what some of the other guys do so I can start playing faster.”

Jones, who weighed 283 pounds at the NFL scouting combine in February, said he was at 285 pounds at his physical this week. He’s shooting to play in the 285- to 290-pound range.

“(Extra) weight will help playing against the strong offensive tackles in this league,” he said, “but I feel like I’m pretty athletic, I’m really strong, and I can fit anywhere in the defense.”

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting that Jones' college coach taught the same defense as Capers. If he stays healthy it looks like he's a great addition to the front 7.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Not kool-aid, just cold, hard facts. We are 15-1 in two seasons in the division. And there's a reason for that, we are a damn good team. But, I'll humor you. You continue to say they are improved while we are not. So, let's take a look without any blinders - just the facts:

Vikings:
Additions:
Jennings - Wrong side of 30 and coming off two seasons in which he was injured. Heck of a player, but not the elite talent he used to be. It'll be interesting to see how he fares without HOF QBs too. Not saying the QB's are the only reason he's a great talent, but his production will likely see a dropoff with that mutt QB they have.
Floyd - Rookie DT. They already had a good defensive line. He'll be good, but I'm not thinking a DT is the key to stopping the Pack.
Rhodes - By all accounts, a good CB. And he'll start from day 1. But, they still have a terrible secondary with Chris Cook - he of 0 INT's in three years - starting opposite him.
Patterson - Athlete, not a professional WR. Can't run routes. He'll be dangerous when he gets the ball in his hands. But, I'm holding off expecting huge numbers from him right away. Remember, WR's usually take a few years to develop in the NFL.
Losses:
Percy Harvin - The most electrifying and versatile player in the game. He lined up all over the field - including RB - to find mismatches. You cannot replace a talent like him.
Antoine Winfield - Downside of his career. But in that backfield, he was a leader and a good slot option. They don't have that now.
Chris Kluwe - Whatever.

So, they lost Harvin and Winfield. But added Jennings and three first-rounders. If there is improvement there, it is only a slight improvement unless all three first-rounders turn into studs immediately - an unlikely scenario even for the most optimistic.

Packers:
Additions (obviously only through the draft):
Datone Jones - Rookie DE. By all accounts, he's a great fit for our line in being able to play the run strong and get after the QB with some speed and strength. Considering Worthy started in his place last season, there is little chance we don't see some improvement there.
RB - Lacy and Franklin - Even though they are rookies, it seems hard to fathom how these two with DuJuan won't improve the stagnant rushing offense last season. Just a moderate improvement will pay dividends for what is already one of the top offenses.
Return of Injured players: Bulaga, Bishop, Perry, Jordy, Lang (to full health), Clay (to full health), Shields (to full health), House (to full health) ...
EDS - Replaces Saturday who was a complete sieve. He should be an improvement and showed it when he replaced Saturday - evidenced by teh 49ers only getting 1 sack in teh playoff game.

Losses:
Jennings - Our WR stable is deep. Sucks to lose him, but we are in good shape with Jordy, Jones, and Cobb.
Woodson - Consummate professional and leader. But, his play clearly declined last year and he was quickly becoming a liability. Our CBs are four-deep with Tramon, Shields, Hayward, and House. Our starting safety position is the same as last year - considering Woodson was out for most of it - and wasn't great, but also wasn't a liability.

So, we add some rookies, replace our center, and get back injured players. But lose Jennings and Woodson. I see an improvement that is comparable, if not better, than the Vikes.
I find it funny that in one post you saw things like how are Williamson and Mike Williams doing. First round draft picks, then in another you pan the Patterson pick because it takes a few years for WR's to develop. But hey, Percy only had 60 catches his first year, and he is a terrible route runner. I will tell you right now, Percy Harvin's number this year will be the lowest of his career. If he makes it to 60 reception in Seattle it will be a small miracle.

Of course MN WR crew didn't get any better, Wright, nah he won't do anything. Simpson, played hurt all year last year when he played. Patterson. Just a rookie. And Jennings, well he's an over the hill ex-Packer.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defensive coordinators usually find a way to combat the newest threat from an offense. I don't believe the running QB will be nearly as effective this year with an off season of study.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
in a 3-4 D don't you need interior lineman who have 'extra' weight? Also, I'm not concerned about this unit long-term. Short-term we do have some problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts