Defensive drafts blow cold on GB.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Generally you're on targeted but a couple of my disputes:

1) Aaron Taylor was by no means a bust. He started two Super Bowls for us and was a solid selection by Wolf, an integral part of Edgar Bennett's and Dorsey Levens' glory years. He was signed away by San Diego when the post-SB salary cap hit.

2) Verba was better than just a wash. Sure he wasn't a stud but Verba played pretty well before his attitude got in the way.

3) Jordy Nelson was a 2nd round pick, although I understand why you put him there because TT traded away (down) his first round pick.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Generally you're on targeted but a couple of my disputes:

1) Aaron Taylor was by no means a bust. He started two Super Bowls for us and was a solid selection by Wolf, an integral part of Edgar Bennett's and Dorsey Levens' glory years. He was signed away by San Diego when the post-SB salary cap hit.

2) Verba was better than just a wash. Sure he wasn't a stud but Verba played pretty well before his attitude got in the way.

3) Jordy Nelson was a 2nd round pick, although I understand why you put him there because TT traded away (down) his first round pick.

1) Aaron Taylor was never a good player and the weak link on that Super Bowl line. Adam Timmerman, Frankie Bag o Doughnuts and Earl Dotson were the players behind Dorsey Levens.

2) Verba I have mixed feelings on, on one hand he performed admirably his first season. On the other hand I find it hard to call a first rounder who doesn't leaves after his rookie K anything more than a wash unless he was a very good player. Raji gets the hit card because his freakish performance in 2010 launched us into the playoffs and a super bowl win. Verba was never really a dominant or even a very good player, mostly just a capable starter.

3) I know but its tough not to put him up there.

Last edited:

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe the real question is, how can the Defense improve the quickest ?

The Draft ?

Free agents ?

A sensible combination of the two ?

Trade or release the deadwood, draft very carefully, and by not fearing the Free agent market .

Maybe a combination. Don't forget also developing our own players. There's a lot of youth there and if we can get healthy and stay healthy, those guys being able to stick to one position will help a ton IMO.

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe a combination. Don't forget also developing our own players. There's a lot of youth there and if we can get healthy and stay healthy, those guys being able to stick to one position will help a ton IMO.

Staying healthy is a huge thing this coming season.

its a combination of everything. Signing a couple veterans will help out and drafting well always helps and having those guys healthy all year or most of the year should improve the defence.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
1993: Wayne Simmons-Wash, good in coverage but that was it more of a role player.

I disagree here...

Wayne was a beast and brought anger to those teams...I believe he shut down the TE for the opposing teams when he was with us..I think in the 95??? playoff game in San Fransico, Wayne blew up the ball carrier on their 1st play, and he fumbled..Craig Newsome picked it up and ran it in for a TD...The mighty reigning SB champions and 10 point favorites lost to the Packers at Candle Stick

He was traded to KC in 98 or 97? something about pissing off Holmgren...Then onto Buffalo, then he was killed in a car accident..

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree here...

Wayne was a beast and brought anger to those teams...I believe he shut down the TE for the opposing teams when he was with us..I think in the 95??? playoff game in San Fransico, Wayne blew up the ball carrier on their 1st play, and he fumbled..Craig Newsome picked it up and ran it in for a TD...The mighty reigning SB champions and 10 point favorites lost to the Packers at Candle Stick

He was traded to KC in 98 or 97? something about pissing off Holmgren...Then onto Buffalo, then he was killed in a car accident..

Man... I agree. I have no clue how anyone would consider him a wash. Yikes. I know 30 teams that would LOVE to have a Wayne Simmons right now. Wayne Simmons made receivers and TE get alligator arms running over the middle! lol Seriously...I remember that big-time.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree here...

Yeah I reached with that one. I don't think he was a great player but he was more than a wash. Outstanding in coverage. One of my favorite plays consisted of him grabbing Robert Smith by the arm and walking him backwards. It looked like a parent manhandling an unruly child.

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Staying healthy is a huge thing this coming season.

its a combination of everything. Signing a couple veterans will help out and drafting well always helps and having those guys healthy all year or most of the year should improve the defence.

Sign a couple veterans....but who? We don't just need some veteran presence...we need production at a value.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chris D. Clemons and Akeem Jordan or Arthur Moats.

As we wind down to final cuts next summer... I want to hear all of these "suggestions"...but along with it... I want to hear who you want cut to fit these guys in. I will guarantee that most, not all, but most "suggestions" will not be viable for any number of reasons pertaining to things like existing contracts, CAP issues and rosters.

These "suggestions" are much easier to kick around and talk about in the fantasy world of arm chair QBs than actually pull off in the real world of the NFL.

D

Deleted member 6794

As we wind down to final cuts next summer... I want to hear all of these "suggestions"...but along with it... I want to hear who you want cut to fit these guys in. I will guarantee that most, not all, but most "suggestions" will not be viable for any number of reasons pertaining to things like existing contracts, CAP issues and rosters

Right now we have two safeties and three ILBs under contract. I'm quite sure we'll figure out a way to make room on the roster for some guys.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not totally against any of these at the right price, but I'm just not sure they're a noticeable upgrade over what we potentially have.

Clemons would be a huge upgrade. He's not particularly strong in run support but he's a terrific coverage guy. He was in coverage for 624 snaps last year and only allowed 11 catches. Had 6 passes defensed and QBs only had a rating of 82.8 when targeting him. Played pretty much every defensive snap for the Dolphin over the past two seasons. Wouldn't break the bank either because, as I said, he's not a great run defender (not terrible but certainly not good).

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clemons would be a huge upgrade. He's not particularly strong in run support but he's a terrific coverage guy. He was in coverage for 624 snaps last year and only allowed 11 catches. Had 6 passes defensed and QBs only had a rating of 82.8 when targeting him. Played pretty much every defensive snap for the Dolphin over the past two seasons. Wouldn't break the bank either because, as I said, he's not a great run defender (not terrible but certainly not good).

Clemons would definitely be the best get out of the group and the biggest upgrade. But the other 3....It just goes back to value. Not straight cost.

Members online

Latest posts