Defense

packedhouse

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense was on the field too long. They were really gassed. The offensive line was just that, offensive. I thought Rogers held the ball a little too long at times, but our line wasn't good enough to protect them. The only way I thought we could beat Dallas was to beat them with our defense and to do that we had to put some pressure on Romo. So tonight's loss goes to Sanders. Just like in the championship game last year, he got stubborn and didn't adapt. He tried to win that game with four down lineman and no blitzes. It didn't work. You have to play with the personel the coaching staff has chosen to keep, so how do you win those types of games? Adjust!!!!!!! You have to throw different packages at their offense and we just didn't didn't do that.

I take nothing away from Dallas. They're better than we are, but we could have been in the game.

sandtrapjack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point, but give credit where credit is due, just a little.

The Packers offense did not score a TD until the waning minutes of the 4th quarter. That means that the Dallas defense has only surrendered only 2 TD's in the last 6 quarters of play. Additionally the Cowboys defense also has 9 sacks in the last 6 quarters of play.

As predicted, Rodgers spent much of the night running for his life or even being sacked (5 sacks to be precise).

Mike McCarthy said it best when he said, and I quote "And I'll tell you exactly what I told them, the Dallas Cowboys are farther ahead than we are, and thats the facts."

staticx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Question for people that were at the game. What was up with everybody slipping, noticeably the Cowboys. Was the field wet, new? It got frustrating seeing Ellis, Ware and some others so close to sacks then they slip and slide around and miss the sack.

sandtrapjack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
staticx said:
Question for people that were at the game. What was up with everybody slipping, noticeably the Cowboys. Was the field wet, new? It got frustrating seeing Ellis, Ware and some others so close to sacks then they slip and slide around and miss the sack.
Blame that on the Cowboys trainers.

Lambeau is natural turf, and the Cowboys play on field-turf in Texas stadium. If you notice the Packers players were not slipping around, but the Dallas players were.

That is when the trainers should have gotten busy changing out the cleats on the Dallas players shoes. Different turf, calls for different cleats.

4rules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse said:
The defense was on the field too long. They were really gassed. The offensive line was just that, offensive. I thought Rogers held the ball a little too long at times, but our line wasn't good enough to protect them. The only way I thought we could beat Dallas was to beat them with our defense and to do that we had to put some pressure on Romo. So tonight's loss goes to Sanders. Just like in the championship game last year, he got stubborn and didn't adapt. He tried to win that game with four down lineman and no blitzes. It didn't work. You have to play with the personel the coaching staff has chosen to keep, so how do you win those types of games? Adjust!!!!!!! You have to throw different packages at their offense and we just didn't didn't do that.

I take nothing away from Dallas. They're better than we are, but we could have been in the game.

Agreed. Romo panicked every time he was pressured - same thing he did against Philly. I'm disappointed the def. coaches were not more creative. Dallas owned the 2nd half due primarily to their willingness to adjust. Good observation.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse said:

You brought up some good points, packedhouse. I did catch a few blitzes but, the Cowboys picked em up. The Packers did get three sacks and some pressure which did effect Romo. That forced him into some poor decisions - INT, two intentional grounding calls and several poor throws. When he had time he did throw the ball well.

The Cowboy O-line really played well opening up running lanes and the TE blocks helped the runners turn the corner.

staticx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sandtrapjack said:
staticx said:
Blame that on the Cowboys trainers.

Lambeau is natural turf, and the Cowboys play on field-turf in Texas stadium. If you notice the Packers players were not slipping around, but the Dallas players were.

That is when the trainers should have gotten busy changing out the cleats on the Dallas players shoes. Different turf, calls for different cleats.

I figured it was the cleats issue. Just curious why they didn't plan for than and change them out at half time

4rules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense gave up over 200yds rushing. I spent a good deal of time watching our linebackers play the run, they were out-of-position and missed tackles often. Very similar to the NFC championship game in Jan. In my estimation, Nick Barnett is an outside backer trying to play in the middle. He's a decent cover guy, but when it comes to the run, he ain't gittin er done.

If we play these guys again, more pressure on Romo, and stronger run-defense wil be essential if we are to hope for a different outcome.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have said for several years on this forum that Barnett is not a middle linebacker, although he played the position alot better last year. I still believe we need a bigger guy in the middle and move Nick outside.

I'm willing to bet that if we were to meet the Cowboys again that we would still see the same bland defensive scheme.
Sanders does not seem very innovative or willing to roll the dice.

ElleBlue

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4rules said:
Defense gave up over 200yds rushing. I spent a good deal of time watching our linebackers play the run, they were out-of-position and missed tackles often. Very similar to the NFL championship game in Jan. In my estimation, Nick Barnett is an outside backer trying to play in the middle. He's a decent cover guy, but when it comes to the run, he ain't gittin er done.

If we play these guys again, more pressure on Romo, and stronger run-defense wil be essential if we are to hope for a different outcome.

Yup we do need to put more pressure on Romo. A couple of times he just threw the ball, anywhere just to get rid of it.

And yes, a couple of times, Rodgers did hang onto the ball too long. There was one throw where he did dodge two Cowboys and made a great throw.

Rios39

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers didn't hold onto the ball too long unless you guys saw better angles down the field then I did. You can't just randomly throw the ball into coverage. He was getting pressure on him way too quick before the WR had finished their routes. That's all there is to it.

If not for Rodgers mobility he would have either been sacked 10 times OR he would have rushed some throws and thrown 4-5 INT. (Which he did at times anyways, out of desperation)

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rios39 said:
Rodgers didn't hold onto the ball too long unless you guys saw better angles down the field then I did. You can't just randomly throw the ball into coverage. He was getting pressure on him way too quick before the WR had finished their routes. That's all there is to it.

If not for Rodgers mobility he would have either been sacked 10 times OR he would have rushed some throws and thrown 4-5 INT. (Which he did at times anyways, out of desperation)

The coaches needed to make adjustments to this. I would like to ask MM why he cant game plan for a big game to save his life.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had no problem with the play calling. Had the fellas been able to execute the plays and gave AR just a couple more seconds who knows what the outcome of the game would've been. We have to shore up our running D but not many teams have the one/two running punch the cowpokes have. However, Dallas has huge linemen on both sides of the ball so they won in the trenches. They made plays and we didn't. End of story.

OP
OP
P

packedhouse

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Evenj Mike McCarthy had a problem with the way he called this game. As for the defense, sometimes you're over matched, but if you make no adjustments and no changes they'll keep doing what they do. It goes without saying that I'm not a Bob Sanders fan. I think this defense has a chance to be dominant, but............................for that to happen Barnett needs to stay home and stop over running plays. He's almost never where he is supposed to be..........and you gotta change that defense up once in awhile. What is wrong with Blitzing occasionally? I think the tools are all there, how we use them will determine whether the defense gets better.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was impressed with Chillar on pass defense situations and Woodson on T.O. Other than that, it was pretty poor all around. With Harris being gone, we will have to either replace him with equal talent which is almost impossible at this point or completely change our defensive scheme to incorporate more blitzing. We pretty much play straight up defense, not much scheming at all. Thats the benefit of 2 shut down corners. D-coordinator is going to have many sleepless nights this year trying to combat this.

Members online

Latest posts