Defense was simply terrific

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It wasn't as good as the 49ers, but it was damn good tonight. 168 total yards for the Bores. 4 INTs, 7 sacks. Good run defense.

It's clear that our pass rush is MUCH improved over last year, and that was our biggest weakness. It seems to me that Clay is 100% healthy for the first time in about 2.5 years. Tramon was all-pro tonight. Having him 100% is HUGE as well. I see good things for this defense as the season goes on. If they keep it up and the rookies continue to develop, good things are in store. The defense should be back to where they were in 2010.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Pretty much what Clay said in the post game presser.. good things are here!!! :)

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amen at last!!! Our offense will get it together but it's a huge relief to know we got the D to go with it! I was very much impressed with them tonight.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just as important as the sacks, we probably hit Cutler at least another dozen times. The "D" was just relentless all night. Props also to Erik Walden. I thought he played really well and provided a nice compliment to Clay.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The Bear OL is not good so I don't expect this kind of dominance week after week. But it was a tough night for the 'Fire Dom Capers' crowd and I loved it!

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The defense needed a game like this. hopfully it will continue, particularly if the offense keeps up the crappy play

I would certainly not say our offense has been "crappy". They're not putting up the numbers they were last year... so far, but part of the reason for that is we actually had the ability to run the ball. It was nice to see balance and the ability to control the clock, which is something we lacked last year. There is definitely improvement to be seen, and I'm 100% confident that we will. This team will be outstanding by playoff time. They're MUCH more similar to the team that won the Superbowl than the team that won 15 games and had a quick playoff exit.

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Bear OL is not good so I don't expect this kind of dominance week after week. But it was a tough night for the 'Fire Dom Capers' crowd and I loved it!

No, the Bears OL is pretty bad. But the 49ers OL is excellent and we registered 4 sacks on them. There is absolutely no question this team has made a major upgrade in its pass rush ability. Even when we're not getting to the QB, we're in his head.

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By the way, I think Dom Capers deserves at least a little credit for this one. He was really mixing it up on defense throughout this one and only a couple times were the defenders out of position. By all means, please continue to let Clay go all-out at the QB!

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would certainly not say our offense has been "crappy". They're not putting up the numbers they were last year... so far, but part of the reason for that is we actually had the ability to run the ball. It was nice to see balance and the ability to control the clock, which is something we lacked last year. There is definitely improvement to be seen, and I'm 100% confident that we will. This team will be outstanding by playoff time. They're MUCH more similar to the team that won the Superbowl than the team that won 15 games and had a quick playoff exit.

maybe not crappy...but definitely sluggish...but I will say between work an shity internet I haven't been able to watch the games like I would like

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Things I really liked:

a) the play of our rookies. Worthy, Heyward, McMillan, Daniels. I didn't see much of anything from Perry, but apparently he was able to get pressure.

b) Tramon Williams. Yes, we have an all-pro corner again.

c) Woodson at safety seemed like he didn't miss a beat.

d) Raji showed up.

e) AJ Hawk. YES, finally! I thought Hawk was very active this game, made some good tackles and lived up to our expectations for once.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense did look really good. But remember, we were going up against the worst o-line in football.

Things I liked

1) Clay Matthews having a career game and getting his teammates fired up to his level.
2) Sam Shields- I predicted before the game he would step up in a big way and he did. Looked great in coverage and I bet the quick pass rush also helped him there though. Fluke punt hit him and he had the INSTINCTS to quickly fall on it. That's what I've been looking for with him.
3) Eric Walden might be our short term fix opposite Clay Matthews. He looked terrific in the preseason and has continued his success into this season.
3) Charles Woodson lead this defense today
4) The defense knew what they were doing!
5) Cobb is so versatile and has Percy Harvin playmaking skills when he holds on to the ball.
6) Crabtree is my favorite no-namer on our roster. Have been following him on Twitter and he's pretty great.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amen at last!!! Our offense will get it together but it's a huge relief to know we got the D to go with it! I was very much impressed with them tonight.

Yes that would be nice but really do need really click if the d plays like tonight.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
By the way, I think Dom Capers deserves at least a little credit for this one. He was really mixing it up on defense throughout this one and only a couple times were the defenders out of position. By all means, please continue to let Clay go all-out at the QB!
Loved it when he switched Claw and AJ.
e) AJ Hawk. YES, finally! I thought Hawk was very active this game, made some good tackles and lived up to our expectations for once.
I'm one of those guys who usually hates on Hawk. It feels weird that for once I can't say anything bad, and even weirder to be proud of him. If it wasn't for the WR I'd say keep Hawk on the weak side. Maybe just in nickel...

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
2) Sam Shields- I predicted before the game he would step up in a big way and he did. Looked great in coverage and I bet the quick pass rush also helped him there though. Fluke punt hit him and he had the INSTINCTS to quickly fall on it. That's what I've been looking for with him.
Bet a front-runner has emerged in the secondary battle now :)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Def line got pressure, which helps out everyone

Tramon finally healthy and no harness

Clay no hammy issues

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Defense did look really good. But remember, we were going up against the worst o-line in football.

Things I liked

1) Clay Matthews having a career game and getting his teammates fired up to his level.
3) Eric Walden might be our short term fix opposite Clay Matthews. He looked terrific in the preseason and has continued his success into this season.
3) Charles Woodson lead this defense today
4) The defense knew what they were doing!
5) Cobb is so versatile and has Percy Harvin playmaking skills when he holds on to the ball.
6) Crabtree is my favorite no-namer on our roster. Have been following him on Twitter and he's pretty great.
1. Clay didn't get his teammates fired up. They were all week. Media were talking about them as a poor defense like last year.You really believe he's that kind of leader this early in his career? I'd put the motivation on Wood. He's the old guard and the leader.
2. Go ahead, hate on Sam, give the credit to the rush. Foolish. The scheme, the holding him out of playing time from the coaches all helped Sam. I said it two years ago... Joe Whitt liked him then and I knew he was going to be good. He's a young player on the rise. The Packers have a world class coaching staff. He was always a great athlete, the coaches in Green Bay will make him a star. But you're welcome to think he's good because of a pass rush that was ranked poorly, had miraculously improved, rather than to acknowledge he's gotten better this year. Yea, I see the clarity there. Nice to see he's passed your grade.
3. So is Perry. Cudos to both. They played a great game. Offenses will have trouble game planning for them both.
3b. You have two (3s) so I"m giving you the (b). Yep, Wood lead 'em. Refer to #1. Wood fired up Clay.
4. They always do, it doesn't always work though, offenses are as crafty as defenses.
5. Did he fumble today Shawnsta in fact, would it be fair to say he doesn't have a history of fumbling? What exactly are you referring to here?
6. Who doesn't like an underdog? I love the guy because he's a throwback.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
1. Clay didn't get his teammates fired up. They were all week. Media were talking about them as a poor defense like last year.You really believe he's that kind of leader this early in his career? I'd put the motivation on Wood. He's the old guard and the leader.
2. Go ahead, hate on Sam, give the credit to the rush. Foolish. The scheme, the holding him out of playing time from the coaches all helped Sam. I said it two years ago... Joe Whitt liked him then and I knew he was going to be good. He's a young player on the rise. The Packers have a world class coaching staff. He was always a great athlete, the coaches in Green Bay will make him a star. But you're welcome to think he's good because of a pass rush that was ranked poorly, had miraculously improved, rather than to acknowledge he's gotten better this year. Yea, I see the clarity there. Nice to see he's passed your grade.
3. So is Perry. Cudos to both. They played a great game. Offenses will have trouble game planning for them both.
1. Clay is starting to develop that sort of leadership role, but I agree with you that right now it is probably Woodson. He is the better orator.
2. I loved Sam, and predicted last year that he would be our starting CB. I've said that we should commit to his development as a starter instead of wasting time with Bush ever since he came back.
3. Potential being the key word. He is a nice big block of marble for Greene to shape into the Zeus to complement Clay's Thor. Walden seriously out played Perry tonight though. But to think of what Perry could be by next year... Beware the gods of thunder.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was the best defensive performance since the Super Bowl win. They swarmed, they attacked, they pressured, and they tackled. I am so encouraged by their performance. :tup:

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was more fun watching the defense than the offense for the first time in years. They played with a different attitude and it was awesome.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope theese guy's keep it up! i liked to see more man because Shields was in the game and Bush wasn't. You don't have to worry about a guy running by him which allows us to be more agressive i think. I loved the fact that Matthews was alll over the place, the guy was meant to rush the passer so let him do what he does best.
Charles Woodson playing Center field on obvious passing downs. Allows us to have a guy back there who can take the ball away and call coverage adjustments if needed.

All in all it was a stellar performance. I anxious to see how they perform against the Saints and Texans offense.

metallicblaze

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay was awesome. Tramon was awesome. Hawk was decent, didn't really let up a play, always around the pile and didn't really seem to make a mistake.

DJ Smith on the hand was pretty bad in coverage. On several plays by Forte, they got first downs. He also was behind the TE that scored their lone TD.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts