Defense under Barry

Reaction score
Pretty accurate. I would still say we should look at the strength of schedule this season as opposed to last. I believe this one was hands down tougher. In addition compare our offensive numbers this year vs. last. The best defense is a good offense. Did our offense put up more points last year? Did our offense stay on the field more last year?
Yeah I didn’t consider this. Our O was clicking along at wide open full throttle in 2020, whereas it wasn’t until recent we got our rhythm back on the Offensive side.

ctfxcwatcher

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Y'all, I'm not even going to lie, I'm scared, I'm shook. I just keep getting this feeling that this D will get lit up. The tape is out there. I keep going back to that Cleveland game in my head. If that was Brady QB-ing for the Browns, they win that game.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Y'all, I'm not even going to lie, I'm scared, I'm shook. I just keep getting this feeling that this D will get lit up. The tape is out there. I keep going back to that Cleveland game in my head. If that was Brady QB-ing for the Browns, they win that game.
Like I've been saying, for 3 years. The best way to insure your defense is playing winning football is to put points on the board. I believe the Packers need to go into each game believing they need to go over 30 points to win. Our losses came when the opposition put up 38, 37, and 34 if I recall correctly.

The point is, control the ball, long drives, score. It keeps the opposition's offense off the field, and you need the ball to score... under most circumstances.

EDIT Note: The only game of the three, where we were over one score out of it would be the Saints game to start the season. Nothing works when you're beaten 38-3.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll find out the answers come playoff time. The defense will either be refreshed and strong, or they'll continue to be a sieve. And the offense can't afford to get shut down either.

We had a good record this year, but there were a lot of close games. That could be a good or bad sign.

Reaction score
The Rodgers led Packers beat every last playoff team we played and most on the road.
@49ers
Vs Steelers
@Bengals
@Cardinals
Vs.Rams

You obviously gotta go out and play well. However no one strikes fear into me this season either. Matter of fact I’d be much more concerned if I was a fan of those teams. Really any team coming to Lambeau is in trouble whether they believe it or not. The Packers will likely have 2 more All Pro Defenders suited up.

Plus a reliable veteran slot defender in Cobb and really fantastic OL depth. Those factor big time. Add to that 78,000 screaming fans vs the 7,800 we had last time. That’s a massive swing in energy
These Packers have a chip on their shoulder. I think we blow out at least 1 team at Lambeau. These guys are led by arguably the best QB in NFL history and to t think for one second they don’t realize this could be his last shot. Watch what happens.

I’m scared of losing who wouldn’t be that’s human.
But if I’m not a Packer fan? I’m real, real scared and I should be.

Long term Divisional forecast.

High 14° Welcome to our house!!

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That could be a factor. Strangely enough, I feel better about this team than I have the last several years, when it comes to the playoffs. I see a different Rodgers out there, and the players around him are more focused on the game - in my opinion. I think they have a better shot than people might think.

If they get beaten, it's because the offense can't generate the points to win. It's 30+ every game!

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did like that ML is addressing the issues with the defense. He did not sound like a happy camper during his press conference yesterday. It sounded to me like he thought they were getting too predictable. I'm curious to see if they pull out any new wrinkles. It sure would be nice to get Alexander back.

Reaction score
I did like that ML is addressing the issues with the defense. He did not sound like a happy camper during his press conference yesterday. It sounded to me like he thought they were getting too predictable. I'm curious to see if they pull out any new wrinkles. It sure would be nice to get Alexander back.
Makes a big difference if we can get Z for about 25 snaps as a rotating pass rusher to keep Gary or Preston fresh. As you said.. Let’s face it, Alexander on a bad day is an average starter. On a good day he’s a game changer, by himself. If Alexander suffered a leg injury I’d be more speculative. Much of that position is leg and hip quickness and ability to flow with the receiver. Yiu could play that position 1 handed if you’re legs n hips are exceptional.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree. He didn't hold back.

I think he also saw that his subs, who haven't been getting much field time, aren't prepared to play. He wasn't pleased with how they handled their assignments. They'll be addressing these problems over the next two weeks.

That's one of the benefits there is to having games like this one, where you don't have to win it, just use it as a tool to evaluate what you need to do to make your team even better.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I didn’t consider this. Our O was clicking along at wide open full throttle in 2020, whereas it wasn’t until recent we got our rhythm back on the Offensive side.
The formula for three 13 win seasons is not always the same even back to back. Lombardi's early Pack teams won with a devastating running attack that controlled the time of possession. His later teams won with more play action passing on running downs. But in both scenarios he had a physical, athletic defense.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Rodgers led Packers beat every last playoff team we played and most on the road.
@49ers
Vs Steelers
@Bengals
@Cardinals
Vs.Rams

You obviously gotta go out and play well. However no one strikes fear into me this season either. Matter of fact I’d be much more concerned if I was a fan of those teams. Really any team coming to Lambeau is in trouble whether they believe it or not. The Packers will likely have 2 more All Pro Defenders suited up.

Plus a reliable veteran slot defender in Cobb and really fantastic OL depth. Those factor big time. Add to that 78,000 screaming fans vs the 7,800 we had last time. That’s a massive swing in energy
These Packers have a chip on their shoulder. I think we blow out at least 1 team at Lambeau. These guys are led by arguably the best QB in NFL history and to t think for one second they don’t realize this could be his last shot. Watch what happens.

I’m scared of losing who wouldn’t be that’s human.
But if I’m not a Packer fan? I’m real, real scared and I should be.

Long term Divisional forecast.

I'd say no one in the NFC scares anyone else. Any of the top 3 seeds and maybe SF could make it to the SB. I think last season's Packers was a lot scarier than this season's Packers.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last season's offense was better than this year. They reaaly miss Tonyan and losing Jenkins really hurt. The defense is improved even with the recent slide. Last season, King started, now the Packers have Douglas, Stokes and Alexander, a massive upgrade. Throw in the massive upgrade at ILB with Campbell and there is no comparison. Gary has also improved so let's hope the defense brings its A game. The Cleveland game scares me. however, because the defense was just pushed around and overpowered. Going into the playoffs, the defense is a question mark but has the takent to bring home the Lombardi!

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Makes a big difference if we can get Z for about 25 snaps as a rotating pass rusher to keep Gary or Preston fresh. As you said.. Let’s face it, Alexander on a bad day is an average starter. On a good day he’s a game changer, by himself. If Alexander suffered a leg injury I’d be more speculative. Much of that position is leg and hip quickness and ability to flow with the receiver. Yiu could play that position 1 handed if you’re legs n hips are exceptional.

Yeah getting those 2 guys back is gonna be a huge boost for the defense...an improved pass rush coupled with improved civetage on the back end is a recipe for forcing turnovers. And thats how this defense has thrived, forcing turnovers

D

Deleted member 6794

DC - Zimmer would be awesome.

I highly doubt the Packers have any interest in moving on from Barry.

What Barry managed to do in many ways should get as much praise as Stenavich

I agree that was true until week 10. Since then the Packers defense has struggled though.

I would still say we should look at the strength of schedule this season as opposed to last. I believe this one was hands down tougher. Did our offense stay on the field more last year?

The Packers faced three top 10 scoring offenses this season compared to four i 2020.

In addition they had an average time of possession of 32:58 minutes per game in '21 compared to 32:35 minutes last year.

You mean the same Tom Brady and the Buccaneers who/which weren't able to score any points against the Saints the previous week???

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that was true until week 10. Since then the Packers defense has struggled though.

You mean the same Tom Brady and the Buccaneers who/which weren't able to score any points against the Saints the previous week???
Well we don't have the Saints #4 defense. As you said, the Packers defense has struggled since week 10.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, but neither one of them really help stopping the run. IMO that is this defenses achilles heal.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, but neither one of them really help stopping the run. IMO that is this defenses achilles heal.
I recall many Cleveland long runs outside when Gary or Preston were on the bench. Having "Z" pull breaks instead of Gileai or Garvin is a huge step up in lane discipline.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. but everyone is talking about Z only playing on passing downs his 1st game back. I re-read your post, which makes my point less relevant.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Either way do you think Z. Smith is gonna be an upgrade as the #3 edge player over garvin and gileai ?

I think he definitely will be I expect him to make some big plays durung this run

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Either way do you think Z. Smith is gonna be an upgrade as the #3 edge player over garvin and gileai ?

I think he definitely will be I expect him to make some big plays durung this run

It would be nice to see Gary and both Smith "brothers" on the field at the same time on 3rd and long. That could create a problem for opposing offenses.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt the Packers have any interest in moving on from Barry.

The Packers faced three top 10 scoring offenses this season compared to four i 2020.

In addition they had an average time of possession of 32:58 minutes per game in '21 compared to 32:35 minutes last year.

But that is not always the formula for winning. In 2020 we faced Jacksonville, Houston, Indy, and Tenessee. In 2021 we faced Cincy, Cleveland, Pitt, and Baltimore, AND Mahommes and KC. In 2020 we faced Atlanta, Carolina, New Orleans, and Tampa. In 2021 we faced SF, Seattle, LA, and AZ. The SF we saw in 2020 was totally decimated. And in 2021 our defense came up with big plays and stops to save games. AZ, Baltimore, LA. Cleveland, Seattle, Chicago, Cincy, Washington. In 2020 I do not recall much in the way of our defense saving games because our offense put up enough points to make it easier.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barry will be the DC in Green Bay next year. There is no way they will dump him after one year. You have to weigh the injuries, and the set backs they had, then look at how they were in every game except the first game of the year. They weren't blow out victims.

If they went to make a switch this year, a lot of the better candidates wouldn't even interview. Nobody wants a job where you need to live out of a suitcase at Motel 6.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts