Defense under Barry

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we solely take a look at teams that have won the Super Bowl over the last 11 years the average ranking of the scoring offense (6.9) is still better compared to their defense (8.4). With the team having changed dramatically over the Super Bowl era I don't think it makes a lot of sense to include teams that were successful more than 50 years ago.

I agree that a well rounded team is the one to thrive for though.
More than 50 years ago means you are excluding Lombardi's championship teams along with the Jets, the Chiefs, and the Colts. And from what I recall when watching those SBs the defenses had as much if not more to do with winning the game than the offenses.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More than 50 years ago means you are excluding Lombardi's championship teams along with the Jets, the Chiefs, and the Colts. And from what I recall when watching those SBs the defenses had as much if not more to do with winning the game than the offenses.

Honestly, I think going back "only" 50 years already skews the results. The game has changed significantly over the last 30 (hell, the last 15) years. Rule changes, philosophy changes, sports medicine...Yes, we still play 11 on 11 with an egg shaped ball, but man...wow.

During Lombardi's time, offensive linemen could not use their hands (I think the rule was changed around 1975, but I'd have to go look that up.) If you blocked with your hands, immediate holding call.

Reaction score
Id say its not really relevant going back any further than the 90s
I know you say that but that research we’ve displayed only showed O vs D rankings really hadn’t changed that much for the SB winner. Certainly not enough to erase the history before you were born :roflmao:
I’m sorry you T’d that up perfectly!

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know you say that but that research we’ve displayed only showed O vs D rankings really hadn’t changed that much for the SB winner. Certainly not enough to erase the history before you were born :roflmao:
I’m sorry you T’d that up perfectly!

Hahahah all good but just so you know I wasnt born in the 90s...however your point still stands as i only started watching the Packers at the very end of the majic man and the begining of the favre era...and i am unfortunately the first of what has become the millenial generation, i swear thats not what it was called when i was a kid but idk maybe i never really paid attention

Reaction score
Hahahah all good but just so you know I wasnt born in the 90s...however your point still stands as i only started watching the Packers at the very end of the majic man and the begining of the favre era...and i am unfortunately the first of what has become the millenial generation, i swear thats not what it was called when i was a kid but idk maybe i never really paid attention
It’s crazy it doesn’t seem that long ago Majkowski was pretty good. Actually Lynn ****ey wasn’t too bad in most cases. He had great hair :tup: That guy was always having surgery.

Anyway our Defenses weren’t very good for a generation before that (my generation). I guess it’s all relative to what you’ve experienced. I missed (literal) the dynamic Packer 60’s Defenses. We were in a hard downward spiral in the 70’s when I was old enough to be considered a fan.
Maybe that’s why I’m not afraid to start over fresh and backup for a couple years? I grew up as a young grasshopper in Packers Poverty years. :roflmao:

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I think going back "only" 50 years already skews the results. The game has changed significantly over the last 30 (hell, the last 15) years. Rule changes, philosophy changes, sports medicine...Yes, we still play 11 on 11 with an egg shaped ball, but man...wow.

During Lombardi's time, offensive linemen could not use their hands (I think the rule was changed around 1975, but I'd have to go look that up.) If you blocked with your hands, immediate holding call.
Yes, it did happen right around then. The Packers played the Raiders in Oakland and a near record number of offensive holding penalties were called on both sides. Think the score was like 18-14. Ugly football and the league knew it. In addition to the no hands the penalty itself was 15 yards before it went to 10. But I did like it that O linemen blocked with closed fists and locked in forearms. Many of the holding calls of today are against wide receivers and tight ends. If they had some of these fundamentals less would be called. I still believe defense wins championships. In 1961 the Pack shut out the Giants. In 62 they forced 3 turnovers and gave the Giant offense nothing. In 65 they held Jim Brown to 50 yards rushing. In 66 it was Dave Robinson forcing Don Meredith to throw the INT to ice the game. In SB 1 it was Willie Woods INT after a blitz that turned the game. Even in the Ice Bowl the Cowboys offense produced only 7 points. In SB 3 the Jets held the might Colts to 7 points. In SB 5 Chuck Howley's INT set up the winning FG. Yes, defense did the trick back then and it still does it now.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, it did happen right around then. The Packers played the Raiders in Oakland and a near record number of offensive holding penalties were called on both sides. Think the score was like 18-14. Ugly football and the league knew it. In addition to the no hands the penalty itself was 15 yards before it went to 10. But I did like it that O linemen blocked with closed fists and locked in forearms. Many of the holding calls of today are against wide receivers and tight ends. If they had some of these fundamentals less would be called. I still believe defense wins championships. In 1961 the Pack shut out the Giants. In 62 they forced 3 turnovers and gave the Giant offense nothing. In 65 they held Jim Brown to 50 yards rushing. In 66 it was Dave Robinson forcing Don Meredith to throw the INT to ice the game. In SB 1 it was Willie Woods INT after a blitz that turned the game. Even in the Ice Bowl the Cowboys offense produced only 7 points. In SB 3 the Jets held the might Colts to 7 points. In SB 5 Chuck Howley's INT set up the winning FG. Yes, defense did the trick back then and it still does it now.
Great recollection. Defense is forgotten way too often. It isn't necessarily the total stats line that makes the difference, but in-game plays, like those you're mentioning, that turn what could have been losses into wins. That's why I always shake my head and think that it's an opportunity squandered, when a defender can't hang onto a ball he should have intercepted. You can never extend more plays for the other team's offense. It will bite you in the keester!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great recollection. Defense is forgotten way too often. It isn't necessarily the total stats line that makes the difference, but in-game plays, like those you're mentioning, that turn what could have been losses into wins. That's why I always shake my head and think that it's an opportunity squandered, when a defender can't hang onto a ball he should have intercepted. You can never extend more plays for the other team's offense. It will bite you in the keester!
Like the Kaepernick pass that Micah Hyde could not hang onto in the last minutes of that playoff game in 2013?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like the Kaepernick pass that Micah Hyde could not hang onto in the last minutes of that playoff game in 2013?
Exactly the point. In an awful lot of cases we can point at one play and show that it was the singular play that lost the game, or won it.

Members online