Defense Arrives

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been withholding my praise for the defense because of their lack of turnovers and their collapse in Minnesota, but today they put it all together against a GOOD team. They got sacks, they got turnovers, and they swarmed the ballcarrier all day long. Compare this game to the playoff loss against the Falcons a few years ago, and the difference is obvious. Drafting for speed is finally paying off, and Bates' scheme is effective because it is not too fancy. Nick Barnett had possibly the best game of his career. KGB, Kenny Peterson, and Ahmad Carroll all forced fumbles. And Al Harris turned in a typical rock solid performance. This was a very nice win.

GreenNGold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget no. 51 ...Brady Popinga....I liked the way he hustled chasing Vick down by the end zone...

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great post Greg...

I thought to myself b4 the game that the d had been ranked fairly high, but this game would be a reality check, and they passed w/ flying colors. Held the best run game in the league in check...BIG improvement over the playoff game...you're right about Barnett...AC slowly getting better...they sacked Vick multiple times (Kampman's sack was excellent)! Great game by the D!

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was amazed at how well the D-line played. It seems like we usually struggle against running QBs, but our D-line did a good job of pressuring and containing Vick. Barnett had a big day too.

The only thing that bothered me was Carroll did a nice job in forcing the fumble, but while the play was still going on and Barnett was trying to score, Carrol was shooting off his mouth to the sideline instead of maybe trying to help block or be involved with the play. To me he should play until the whistle blows instead of mouthing off. Other than that though, I was very impressed with Bates and his defense. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come down the stretch.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GreenNGold said:
Don't forget no. 51 ...Brady Popinga....I liked the way he hustled chasing Vick down by the end zone...

I really liked he got the play and chased him all the way, It was bad he didnt have a better chance to hit Vick hard but he really had a good play there.

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really thought Atlanta would blow the Packers out of the water. Kudos to your Packer team for stopping a very potent team. It rather frightens me that it looks like GB is really starting to look more stable and the Bears have yet to play them. Should be quite fun.

ChuckSTG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:D :D Yeah that christmas game (my first packer game that i'm going too) is going to be a good one to watch

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
I was amazed at how well the D-line played. It seems like we usually struggle against running QBs, but our D-line did a good job of pressuring and containing Vick. Barnett had a big day too.

The only thing that bothered me was Carroll did a nice job in forcing the fumble, but while the play was still going on and Barnett was trying to score, Carrol was shooting off his mouth to the sideline instead of maybe trying to help block or be involved with the play. To me he should play until the whistle blows instead of mouthing off. Other than that though, I was very impressed with Bates and his defense. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come down the stretch.

All-Universe Tight End Jeremy Schockey did the same thing on two very important plays yesterday in Vikes/Giants game. He quit before the whistle and was motioning something to the refs instead of trying to make a tackle on a Viking fumble recovery. That kind of crap irks me. They teach you to play til the whistle in EVERY sport the second you start playing. Couldn't have happened to a bigger moron than Schockey, but Carroll needs to freakin' grow up!
Hammer

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GreenNGold said:

I was thinking the same thing...Poppinga almost caught him too! Speed kills and the Packers defense is playing faster and hitting harder! I noticed that the "soft" Packers defense of the past few years is gone. Nick Collins and the boyz are bringing it every Sunday so the opponents better buckle the chinstraps tight for the foreseeable future!

Members online

Latest posts