Defense and QBs win Championships

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davante is/was great and he will be missed, but he turns 30 this year....

Also, I am glad that they put effort into retaining DeVondre and Rasul. I would really like to see what this D looks like with J'Aire back next year.

Also I would like to see how Preston can produce next year on an EVEN year as historically he hasn't done well. But 3 years in now, I believe we/he knows the D/assigments/etc. well enough to be consistent enough. He's no All Pro but he did a helluva job last year.

I think we really NEED one more DL to pair with Clark on the DL and this D will be INCREDIBLE.

Reaction score

Also, I am glad that they put effort into retaining DeVondre and Rasul. I would really like to see what this D looks like with J'Aire back next year.

Also I would like to see how Preston can produce next year on an EVEN year as historically he hasn't done well. But 3 years in now, I believe we/he knows the D/assigments/etc. well enough to be consistent enough. He's no All Pro but he did a helluva job last year.

I think we really NEED one more DL to pair with Clark on the DL and this D will be INCREDIBLE.
True that.
I’m even thinking we could get 2 more upgrades.

A top #28 DL (in some format either 1T, 3T or Edge) someone that has hybrid ability and can be disruptive all over the DL.
+
A top #59 LB/Box S/Star

Imagine pairing another stout LB with Campbell and another Young stud on the DL (as you’ve already eluded to)

Last edited:
OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnes is fine to pair with Campbell, you don't really NEED someone else

Reaction score

Sure, Barnes is ok. However this really isn’t Barnes’ role.
I like having a quality hybrid player call it what you want LB/S/NB who can Rush the Passer, defend the Run and is formidable covering the slot Receivers is an area we can grow.

The bonus part is he can provide depth also. If either LB goes down he can assume that role also. If a CB goes down he can push J’aire or Rasul back out to the perimeter without any noticeable dropoff.

Pay close attention at 1:00 mark

I don’t want Henry Black or Barnes or Ray Willborn or Ty playing in those roles. Do we really Spend an early perimeter CB selection? only to cover him up behind Rasul, Stokes or J’aire?
Get me Ronde Barber at pick #66! :laugh:
Seriously I’ll settle for Daxton Hill

Last edited:
OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're talking like what Hyde did right? I'm certain one of the top 5 DBs, and they're all good, will assume that

I also predict we draft a Safety in the 2nd round

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your plan works in theory. But what happens if Barnes goes down? We need 1 for depth..but I would draft 2 between day 2 and 3. You don't always hit on that high round pick, and sometimes you hit with a lower round pick. Is it Harris in Round 2 Muma in 3 or 4 someone else late in Day 3? We need a depth pick at this position that sticks.

Reaction score

I would say great defense and ball control offense is what wins championships in football. Although QB is the most important position (you can't win if you have a bad qb, no matter how good your team is), I think you can win a championship with an average qb if you have a great defense and an offense that can go on long, sustained drives, wearing out the opposing defenses, while not turning the ball over and controlling the game clock.

Pretty much all championship football teams have a great defense and an offense capable of controlling the ball.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I believe Gute must have heard you. So far.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last thing for Gute to do, If he is listening, to calm the storm:

1) Sign or trade for ANY 2 of the listed veteran WRs (without killing our draft capital if there is a trade):

Julio Jones
Landry
Parker
Cooks
AJ Green
Metcalf
Fuller
Sanders

2) Draft a WR early
3) Take a Safety in Round 2
4) Draft EDGE and DL depth and possibly early if talent falls

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last thing for Gute to do, If he is listening, to calm the storm:

1) Sign or trade for ANY 2 of the listed veteran WRs (without killing our draft capital if there is a trade):

Julio Jones
Landry
Parker
Cooks
AJ Green
Metcalf
Fuller
Sanders

2) Draft a WR early
3) Take a Safety in Round 2
4) Draft EDGE and DL depth and possibly early if talent falls
Gute, I hope you are listening.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sammy Watkins should have been in the vet list FYI

I did NOT know that he was a FA

Reaction score
A top #28 DL (in some format either 1T, 3T or Edge) someone that has hybrid ability and can be disruptive all over the DL.
+
A top #59 LB/Box S/Star

Interesting that we took this approach, even though it wasn’t necessary with a serviceable starter in Barnes, as you said.
Although I never expected we’d pick LB at #22, that’s uncharacteristic since what? AJ Hawk

I just think they gave Joe Berry the necessary tools to really put together a dynamic Unit. Joe is a LB whisperer, so naturally Walker and Enagbare should have a good shot at early production. We now have 3 DT that are good enough to push Lowry into that 4th spot, which is really ideal, but not an insult because those 3 DT should all have a chance to feed off the success of each other. Wyatt had Davis to partner, but now he’s got Reed or Clark. Reed was graded higher than Clark coming out, but he’s the least capable and he’s fully capable of that makes sense?

I have Amos as a high floor veteran who just kinda is always good or better. I have Savage as that medium floor Safety who has shown flashes of high floor greatness, but imo has been Far too quiet for his ability and still has not put it all together. Yet Darnell is very talented and this would be (and should be) his year as far as peaking and putting on full display of why he was picked so high. His production is related to upfront pressure and I think we will see him as a riser.

The Combo of Preston and Rashan is well above average, but we desperately need a 3rd guy to be our Young Fackrell type riser and fill out our Edge Depth. We also need a 4th CB to step up into the limelight. Those are 2 primary backup positions (another is S) that could showcase someone into a big second contract. Either that or we could really use a solid veteran backup plug at several positions (trade deadline?)

The iLB group is the one I’m most excited to watch. If Walker comes in for Barnes as a reliever he’s going to finish and make us a believer. The potential reminds me of a 2020 Tampa LB group.

On paper. This is the best Defense we’ve had since the 2010 season. Better than 2014 imo

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Interesting that we took this approach, even though it wasn’t necessary with a serviceable starter in Barnes, as you said.

In my opinion Barnes was the weakest link in the starting lineup on defense. Therefore it made sense to select Walker to replace him.

Reaction score
In my opinion Barnes was the weakest link in the starting lineup on defense. Therefore it made sense to select Walker to replace him.
Yes and upgrade we did. The only thing that concerns me a little is figuring out a few rotational pieces.

LB set
DT set

CB (needs a legit #4)
Safety (needs a legit #3)
OLB/Edge (need a legit #3)

Edge might be the only in that group that has someone already on board to at least be serviceable.

I’d like to see us go get a veteran Corner that could firm that CB group. King is the most logical and immediate fit.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How often do you think the defense is going to be in a base alignment? Packers have three really good corners, an elite safety, an up-and-coming safety, and an All-Pro ILB already. If we assume 3 dlinemen, 3 corners, 2 safeties, 2 edge rushers, and Campbell playing fairly often then Walker is going to need to displace someone, correct? Based on player skill you would prefer to take off one of the lackluster DL but I'm not sure having just 2 DL on the field is optimal?

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes and upgrade we did. The only thing that concerns me a little is figuring out a few rotational pieces.

LB set
DT set

CB (needs a legit #4)

Edge might be the only in that group that has someone already on board to at least be serviceable.

I’d like to see us go get a veteran Corner that could firm that CB group. King is the most logical and immediate fit.

I agree the Packers lack quality depth at several positions on defense. Let's hope their starters can stay healthy for most of the season.

How often do you think the defense is going to be in a base alignment? Packers have three really good corners, an elite safety, an up-and-coming safety, and an All-Pro ILB already. If we assume 3 dlinemen, 3 corners, 2 safeties, 2 edge rushers, and Campbell playing fairly often then Walker is going to need to displace someone, correct? Based on player skill you would prefer to take off one of the lackluster DL but I'm not sure having just 2 DL on the field is optimal?

Most teams in the NFL definitely use only two defensive linemen in their nickel package. I fully expect the Packers to do that this season once again as well.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score

LB set
DT set

CB (needs a legit #4)

I think we need a #2 and #3 at Safety. I'm not sold on this position based on the final 6-8 weeks of the season including the playoff loss. Enagbare might also be your #3 at EDGE.

Reaction score
I think we need a #2 and #3 at Safety. I'm not sold on this position based on the final 6-8 weeks of the season including the playoff loss. Enagbare might also be your #3 at EDGE.
I’m trying to follow you..

In that scenario, What are we doing with Darnell and Adrian?

Last edited:
OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What year did Collins figure it out?

I hope Savage can figure it out this year

Amos is great but aging and last year of his contract, I don't expect him back next year

D

Deleted member 6794

I think we need a #2 and #3 at Safety. I'm not sold on this position based on the final 6-8 weeks of the season including the playoff loss.

Amos and Savage are excellent starters. The Packers might need to add some quality depth behind them though.

Amos is great but aging and last year of his contract, I don't expect him back next year

Amos is only 29 years old.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What year did Collins figure it out?

I hope Savage can figure it out this year

Collins was a beast literally out the door - his rookie year was his best year tackle wise (86) second year was his second best (82). That rookie year he had 8 PDs and 1 INT. Many remember his 2008-2010 run as his prime because it was that 4th, 5th and 6th year that he really kicked up his INTs and in that span had 17 but even his second year the dude had his second best PD season with 14...honestly his stats are awesome from the go:

YearPosNo.GGSIntYdsTDLngPDFFFRYdsTDSkCombSoloAstTFLQBHits
2005FS36161610008200008666203
2006FS361616368155142000082671520
2007FS3613130000504640611
2008*FS3616167295362151000072601211
2009*FS361616611003113024015344931
2010*FS3616164340241202261070591112
Career9595215074626864301142134576115

Latest posts